Cooling Which fans where?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 11 Feb 2020.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I have 2x Phanteks PH-F140MP and 2x Corsair ML140 PRO RGB. Which should I put on front intake and which should I put on my AIO?

2. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Checking their static pressure specs, the ML140's have a higher max static pressure of up to 3mm H2O vs the 1.62mm of the Phanteks.

You then have to trade that off with the noise profiles. The Phanteks are 5 dB quieter at their top end, although that top end is 400rpm slower, so that will account for some/all of that.

Unless you're running the AIO fan profile up to 100%, you're likely to see less than a couple of degrees C difference so it really doesn't matter. It's the noise that'll affect you more. If you do have an aggressive AIO fan profile, I'd probably use the Phanteks on it.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Think you might have got the wrong Corsair fan?
    # Corsair ML140 PRO RGB has 1.27mm H2O, 20.4 dBA, 55.4cfm, 400-1200rpm.
    # Phanteks PH-F140MP has 1.62mm H2O, 17-25.3dBA, 68.1cfm, 500-1600rpm

Corsair only quotes one noise figure, who knows what rpm that's at. Could be average over the rpm range, could be minimum. Phanteks shows slightly better performance, but at higher rpm. In all honesty there will probably be nothing between them once they're at normal operating speeds. I'd go with whatever you prefer the look of.

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

You've hit the nail on the head there. Confusingly the 140 PRO has higher speeds, static pressure, noise etc but the 140 Pro RGB has the lower values. Personally I'd go for the Phanteks on the AIO (they are advertised as radiator fans after all) and then have the ML140s as case fans (depending on what case you've got and where you're mounting the radiator that is)

silk186 likes this.
  5. silk186

silk186 Derp

My rig is having issues with cooling and the stock AIO fans are really loud. I can hear them across the room when I'm watching TV.

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

Case the build is in my signature, Phanteks Evolv ITX with 2x 140mm in the front 1x 120mm in the rear and a 280mm radiator in the top.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Didn't think to look in your sig :duh:

Do you have the fans exhausting out the top through the rad? If so, and based on that case and the fact that you'll probably want to actually see your RGB fans, I'd probably put the Phanteks fans in the front as intake and then have the RGB fans exhausting out the top through the rad and also out the back. If you find that temps are too hot and / or noise is too high then you could swap them over or fidding with the fan curves.

I have a very similar setup to you (P600S ATX case and 3 140mm intakes but close enough) and personally I have my fan curve set to a fairly constant speed until my CPU hits about 65ºC or even 70ºC (can't remember now) and then I have it ramp up quickly to max speed from there. I know that I could maintain lower temperatures by having it ramp up sooner but I prefer a constant background noise for as long as possible as opposed to the fans in the case constantly speeding up and slowing down every time there's a small spike in temperature.

8. The_Crapman

Ah ha. There's your problem. Whilst a true beaut, it's ventilation is piss poor. I'm afraid you're going to need some speed holes. :dremel:

Whether home made or you can buy some from modmymods or singularity computers, you need more ventilation.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2020
  9. silk186

silk186 Derp

Yes, I'm trying to overcome this issue. I was thinking to vent down and out with better fans.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That youtube doesn't appear to have linked correctly, just error's.

11. The_Crapman

Looks like my fat fingers bumped some extra letters in there. Probably not helped by the corners of my thumbs being horrendously dry and cracked. :sigh:

I don't think you're going to overcome it without using some fans so fast they'll need their own psu and will make your ears bleed. Especially for exhausting.

Cut a big hole in the roof, stick one of these in, job done. It's not THE most ventilated, but good for dust and easy to install, remove and clean. Alternatively you could get something I've been wanting to do for ages, louvers :naughty: The 125x295 or 165x245 ones would do nicely. It comes with a.fly screen for dust, maybe take it out if too restrictive?

Last edited: 11 Feb 2020
    Bloody_Pete likes this.
  12. silk186

silk186 Derp

Given the case design, should the AIO fans point up or down?

13. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Yeah, I looked up the stats for the Pro, not the RGB assuming they’d be the same! Still, my recommendation stands unaltered.

14. silk186

silk186 Derp

If I had the tools to do the work myself I would. With these services, the mod would end up costing more than the case. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any suitable cases that support a 280mm radiator.

15. The_Crapman

Could see if anyone would lend you something? Either a dremel or a drill and jigsaw would do the trick. Hell, if you have a drill, you can drill holes round the edge of the area and then file through to make the hole. Seen it done a bunch on mods when people haven't got a dremmel or jigsaw. If I was local I'd lend you either of mine.

silk186 likes this.
  16. silk186

silk186 Derp

Not a bad suggestion. If I was in Canada I would have access to a few workshops and even a plasma cutter. My friends that are local, struggle with an IKEA flat pack. I do have a drill though.

It would be easier for me to pop in if someone is local or mail the panel instead of posting tools. Do any modders live around East London that would be able to give a hand?

17. The_Crapman

Our very own @Maki role is London based I believe. He might even be able to put a snazzy design in there for you. You can contact him through his website also. If you don't mind mailing the panel I'd do it for you. Not sure how much it'd cost as it's steel, so a little weighty.

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

A bit of a far fetched idea...

Phanteks launched a new version of the case with mesh instead of the glass, maybe if you asked support nicely they would sell you a mesh panel?

19. The_Crapman

Sadly thats the Evolv Shift, not the Evolv ITX. Even though the shift is also ITX, it's not the ITX. All very straightforward as usual for PC nomenclature.

MLyons likes this.
  20. silk186

silk186 Derp

If the Evolv ITX glass had a mesh panel I would replace the case. Its hard to justify a top panel mod that cost almost double the case. Some of the top mod panels I've seen online are £100. I don't know why Phanteks doesn't make one.

I just need an opening cut for a magnetic fan cover.

Would a top panel be enough or is the front panel problematic as well?

Last edited: 12 Feb 2020