1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Another Ryzen 5 3600 build... (mITX)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Digi, 7 Apr 2020.

1. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Alright all, :thumb:

My current rig is creaking a bit as it hits it's fifth year this year. I upgraded to a RX 590 a year ago but now I'm looking at mobo/ram/cpu upgrade in order to pass down some bits to my son.
    Just a few questions:
    • B450 or X570? I don't want to have compatibility issues as I don't have 2000 series CPU lying about. Looking at Asus ROG Strix B450-I currently but I really don't want to receive a board I can't use. Anyone had hands-on experience with one or similar system in last few months?
    • It needs to be mITX to fit in my current Corsair 250D. Does this make a difference to the chipset question.
    • Likely going for 3600Mhz RAM because why not. I've heard that here is where the differences will become apparent between the chipsets?
    • If I went X570 is it worth splashing more for a 3700X?
    • Conversely I'll need a mITX case for my son to house these - what's the current decent-ish price version of my 250D or anything in this class?
    Thanks for reading and appreciate any replies.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I would imagine "Ryzen 3000 ready" would mean just that, or your money back. Not sure if it uses Bios flashback? maybe dl the manual.

The 250D is a very old (and not very good) design IMO.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lian-Li-PC...=1&keywords=lian+li+itx&qid=1586280865&sr=8-1

Is much more modern, and probably the highest rated at that price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cougar-Gam...d=1586280893&sprefix=cougar+It,aps,147&sr=8-2

Are pretty good too, and cheaper.

X570 and the 3700x are not really related dude. You would be fine on a decent B450 and 3700x. IE - the differences on X570 won't hamper CPU performance. Also the RAM speed will be reliant on the CPU itself, so look for information on the fastest RAM the specific CPU you are looking at can handle. And again, it's not specifically down to RAM speed either but a combination of speed and timings. So 3200 CL14 RAM is almost as good as CL16 3600 RAM.

Lankius Maximus and Digi like this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Digi likes this.
  4. Vault-Tec

I'm not sure if X570 increases the lanes either. Storage? yes it's faster as per benchmarks, but you will never tell the difference IRL and PCIE 4 on Navi is not worth much either.

That said on ITX you are going to be limited by the size any way, or the price.

5. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Second this option. Great cooling and a very tidy build. The side window is optional and if not chosen heeps it under £100. Even with the window mine is silent when browsing.

[​IMG]DSC_0243 by Lankius Maximus, on Flickr

[​IMG]

Digi and Vault-Tec like this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Glorious !

7. Digi

Appreciate all the replies guys.

Still a little worried about being stuck with the proverbial in hands due to mobo but I really don't see the need to stump up £70+ extra for a 570 board..

Cheers.

EDIT: Some retarded spelling.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2020
  8. Digi

The BIOS flash kit requires you have 2nd gen ryzen though, correct? Which I haven't got. So I'd be stuffed if it didn't ship with support.