Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Make it your priority then, mate. I usually don't advocate it, but go on sick leave NOW and get searching.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Sounds like he is in the U.S, where you are perfectly disposable.

Depending on the state and the contract he signed he may not get paid for being sick.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

In his situation I wouldn't care.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Andersen's location, below his username, is Wembley.

5. Vault-Tec

I don't see that for some reason.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

You don't see it on the narrow forum setting

7. Mr_Mistoffelees

I'm on narrow on the PC, I don't see it on the phone.

Guest-44638 likes this.
  8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Indeed. It turns out its missing from the forum light theme, rather than from the forum width.

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Are all clinical negligence solicitors ****ing retarded? I swear to god if someone does take me seriously soon I will will take my own vengeance and just maim every **** that's had a hand in this. I'll probably get treated better in prison too.

10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Ambulance chasers don't care about you, only potential profit.

11. The_Crapman

Bloody idiots didn't realise I told them I have insurance to cover their fees, so was a win-win situation for them, but declined to take up my case on a no win no fee basis as "In your case, we consider that whilst the treatment that you received may have fallen below an acceptable standard, it will be difficult to prove that you have suffered injury as a direct result. This is because the injury may have occurred in any event." Yeh sure, hernias can reoccur after you've had surgery to repair one, a couple of years down the line if you're not careful, but they miss the minor point that THEY NEVER REPAIRED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE AND I HAVE OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE PROVING SO.:rollingeyes::duh::wallbash:

12. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I need to take more notice of this at time

the CPU chiller to do sub zero cooling that some ****ING PILLOCK broke can't be fixed. AC people can't get the part to fix it. significantly ****ed my mood up

Last edited: 26 May 2020
  13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Could we try not to use words like mong or retard, please? Thanks :)

14. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Going to be honest. I wasn't actually aware of what "mong" meant. I had thought it was just another replacement for stupid but appears not. TIL. will fix now. I agree with the word "retard" not being used as well.

Last edited: 26 May 2020
  15. Vault-Tec

It's an old saying. IIRC its full word was mongol. I don't know why really. Maybe because people with severe autism or down syndrome look like mongols? Yeah apparently it was an 80s terminology.

16. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I recently found out that "to gyp someone" refers to gypsies and is of course offensive. Whereas "give you gyp" is an old word for pain.

I believe mongoloid features was the medical terminology of the time. Much as spasticated movements is another medical term that has been adopted and used offensively.

The English language is fantastic but it's built up from who knows what. I'm sure it's a nightmare to learn but wonderful to study.

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

My understanding was that 'mongoloid' was at, one time, the "medical" term for something too.

Same for 'retard' and 'spastic'.

I think I saw a comedian do a bit about how the changing medical lingo eventually just changed the insult, which.. well, is pretty true in my limited experience.

18. The_Crapman

WelltWell seem to have severe limited mental capabilities and so would be retarded, or retards.

19. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I used the term "retarded" once to mean "slowed", i.e. "this batch processing seems retarded, let me check what's going on with it" or some such context . I apparently upset someone enough to report me to my manager that I had not only used the term, but used it to refer to something stupid or broken (I mean, surely jumping to that conclusion highlight's the reporters own biases when I literally meant something was slowing it down, because I expected it to be further along by that point) Fortunately we both agreed that it was both an over-reaction and misunderstanding, but so many others have not been so fortunate.

Moral of the story, never say anything to anyone just in case it might be taken the wrong way, or misheard in a way that might get you in trouble.

20. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mongol, spastic and backward were in common use when I was growing-up through the seventies. Eg, the charity now known as Scope was then known as the National Spastics Society and it was common to refer to someone as a spaz.