1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards b550 pricing!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pac-man, 28 May 2020.

1. pac-man

pac-man What's a Dremel?

Hi crew,

Did anyone catch MSIs B550 vid yesterday? Most of the community (at least on Reddit) are annoyed at what appears to be inflated prices. I must say, fairly surprised that the prices are as high as they are, especially given a lot of X570s are in a similar price range e..g the X570 Tomahawk due for release in a week or so, comes in about ~£220.

Anyways here's a little list I've put together for the ATX B550s to help me keep tabs on where things stand at the moment. I believe the $ prices are without tax applied. The bolded rows are one's I'm especially interested in.

UPDATED - GIGABYTE pricing added: source

upload_2020-5-28_15-46-10.png

Last edited: 28 May 2020
  2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thats what I thought when I looked at them last week, so I'm probably going to go for a Crosshair board and be done with it!

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

A few weeks ago some tech Youtubers were predicting that B550 would be priced between B450 and X570 since there is such a large gap between the two for an 'average' board. Looks like that's exactly what's happening and with B450 support continuing there's no reason for them not to.

We'll see what the B550 reviews look like, at the moment I'm still expecting to be buying the 570 Tomahawk next month and not the 550.

pac-man likes this.
  4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The PCIe 4.0 requirement forces a lot of expensive decisions to be made. Higher materials cost on the board substrate, higher costs in finer manufacturing tolerance and additional layers required, higher costs in QC testing, higher costs in R&D iteration.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

TUF is only $20 less than the X570 TUF lol.

Oh well, time to don the pitch forks and go after AMD. I'll get my broom RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE.

Osgeld, modd1uk and pac-man like this.
  6. pac-man

pac-man What's a Dremel?

From what I've been reading, June 16 seems to be when they're expected to be available. Looking forward to watching the reviews of the various boards come out over the next few days/weeks!

Guest-44638 likes this.
  7. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Need a regular B550 Tomhawk...and to be as good as the B450 Tomahawk, MSI have the opportunity to ride the b450 tomhawk sucess wave into b550 if they price it right / build it right

Guest-44638 likes this.
  8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

There's a mountain of B450 boards out there they don't want to be left holding, so it was obvious the 550 series was going to be overpriced.