1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Q87T Stuck at bios 'Press F2 or Del to enter BIOS' screen...

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by dynamis_dk, 6 Jun 2020.

1. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

So I grabbed myself one of the Q87T motherboards recently and I've come to try a pfsense install on it this afternoon but I'm having nothing but issues.

First the pfsense installers said it was getting a bad checksum on copying the files over so I figure it could be the source usb stick as its an old stick I found in a draw. The installer allows you to connect a network cable and download source files from the internet so I tried that, still checkcum errors so I figured I'd try a different destination drive just in case the mSATA from eBay wasn't working. installer wasn't happy with the SSD I used as it was detecting it was pulled from a intel RAID Array and the motherboard has Intel RAID so was playing up like it was bad RAID. Entered RAID setup, set it to clear the RAID on this disk and tried install again....still same. Checksum error

Next tried removing one of the two 4GB ram sticks, same, so swapped them over, same. Got a 2GB ram stick and tried it but now it won't get past BIOS 'Press F2 or Del to enter BIOS' splash screen. I've tried to put the other RAM back in, still sticks at splash screen. Removed the 4 port Intel NIC too so now I only have a keyboard, HDMI and power connected - still same.

Tried a CMOS clear, still same

Any one experienced anything like this before? Its like the whole machine just locks up as you can't toggle num lock on keyboard and its not beeping, nothing.

Sadly I don't have another CPU to test so unless anyone has any suggestions I think its back to buying the cheapest 1150 just in case its the CPU :(

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I could send you a haswell chip to try if you want.

modd1uk, adidan and Arboreal like this.
  3. dynamis_dk

Cheers mate, thank you very much for the offer. I’ve had a scout on eBay and managed to pickup a very low end chip for £3 so be good to have one in the draw for the future just in case :)

Also got a new bios coming where someone flashes it before shipping so it’s ready to try so hopefully I won’t need to get a new board. I checked and the psu its right power rating etc so dunno what I’ve done lol

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Good luck with the fault finding, that's a real shame.
    Don't know what to suggest - which CPU were you using in it? I have an i3 4130 that came out of an i3 to i5 upgrade
    I have all components that I have seen working on mine which I can send if you need.
    RAM
    SSD
    CPU - looks like you're sorted potentially
    Mine's running on the HP 65W PSU I had, and I'll be testing it with your old 90W Dell one next time it's out.

5. dynamis_dk

I’ve got a 4130T and it all seemed to be working form a posting point of view. It was only when I came to the pfsense install and there were errors. I rebooted to add a sata sad to try but it didn’t work as the raid noticed it was previously part of a array so I enabled the raid controller, used the setup to clear the disk and then it disabled it again. Back to trying the install and it wouldn’t boot. I’m not sure if it’s something which has failed or something I’ve done. I’m hoping a cpu or bios swap will sort it but if that doesn’t work it might be back to buying a replacement if there are some available still