1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding SB Live! 5.1 Modding

Discussion in 'Modding' started by _krypton, 7 Dec 2003.

1. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

That was a smart way to get you to leave the chat and then send you an email that is basically useless. She did say she would send you the info and didn't BAH!

2. _krypton

_krypton What's a Dremel?

Yeah...

One thing that i have learned again and again is:

Creative products(especially sound cards) are good,
    BUT, their support sucks, big time! Starting from their driver right to their technical support.

The only reason i got this card, is because i needed linux compability. My olp pc(also my media server) runs on mandrake 9.2, and i needed something that had support on linux os. I have 1 vortex based and 2 vortex based sound cards not being in use. But i tried compiling the drivers for linux, and the sound was crappy.. Those are good cards.. what a pity..

2 are from Turtle Beach, another from Diamond.

Anyway, to those who are fellow linux minded, i need to ask a question:

I have used only Mandrake 9.1/9.2 so far. Though i have Red Hat
    9, i have not installed it. Which should be better? For performance and multimedia-wize? SuSe, Mandrake, Red Hat(the reason i did not install this is because of the release of the fedora core) Debian or others??? My bro keeps on telling me to use Slackware, but that, i cannot use, as my linux understanding is not up to a level to use a non-graphical system. Anyway.. tell me what you think.

My current system(check this thread: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44883 )
    has 3 OS installed; Mandrake 9.2(main os),
    BeOS Max v3(installed it just to drool over its speed. It's like lightning!),
    and crappy Win XP Pro. I personally hate this OS but, Protel DXP doesn't run on linux like Eagle does.. so... do the math.

3. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

I prefer freeBSD personally but gentoo is anotehr good linux to consider

4. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

:miffed: :miffed: :miffed: :miffed:

RIGHT, i got a reply from creative and all i can say is this is bringing out the british in me, stuborn ******* who won't give up untill he gets what he's after, this means war creative! :naughty:

here's what i got -

Dear Sir/Madam

Thanks for the email!

I have escalade this issue and this is what I've got:

we can't actually help him with this. The SB220 does not have the
    AUD_Ext connector anymore. It only has the white connector which he
    already mentioned, but that one is not usable for his purpose.

I'm sorry I couldn't give you a better answer.I've tried my best to
    help. Sorry.

Please retain all the previous correspondence when replying to this
    email.

Best Regards

Andy Teyu
    Technical Support
    Creative Labs Europe

obviously this isn't the answer i was after so i sent a reply....

Thanks for the reply.

What about the SPDIF_IO port located on the right of the card? what about the pin out details for this port?

also the white connector is of no use to me, may i ask what it is for, its general purpose? I'd like to know what an unknown port on my card is and it seems unfair that Im not permitted to know what the items are on the card that i have paid for.

Another question, a bit of topic but why was the AUD_ext port removed from the card? am I right in understanding that with this port removed i could no longer use a Live Drive? This seems unfair and indeed with such a fundamental change it seems wrong to even call the card the same as this modification prevents me and others from accessing the same features other people with older models can use. This feels unjust as it disciminates against users with newer cards who may have braught these cards to use under the false pretence it would be able to be used in the same fasion as older cards.

Can i please have the pinout details for my card even if they are 'not usable for my purposes' (even though this should be for me to decide for myself once i review the pinout details) as I would like to know details of my card. If you are unable to help can I please have contact details of your manager so I can take this higher.

Many thanks

Stuart

Watch out creative i'm after those details!

5. _krypton

Way to go!

Then WAR it is.

I am quite sick of the replys i keep getting..

I am NOT giving up!

What a pain in the ar*e they are.

6. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

7. _krypton

Nice to see your pc growing..

Good work!

8. tomek

tomek What's a Dremel?

Hello
    All i'm tried is tell that You have to follow my leads. I've describled how to find out witch pin prowide siglans that You need.
    Tomek

9. _krypton

I know I know.. It's just that i've been quite busy now.. I am aware of what you have said..

Thanks for reminding anyway!

10. Rovman

Rovman What's a Dremel?

I have done a little digging around for the pin descriptions.

I do not know if this is correct or not but its the best i can find.

1 - SPDIF out TTL level
    2 - Ground
    3 - SPDIF IN
    4 - Ground
    5 - +5V

Pin 1 is the pin closest to the where the PCI connects into your mobo.

Disclaimer ;): i do not know if these are correct and im not responsible if something does happen to go wrong.
    You can easily check if the grounds and 5v are correct and then the rest isnt really a problem.

(and yeah, im newbie to the forums ;))

11. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Welcome to the Forums Rovman!!

12. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

I just found a sheet of paper that came with my SoundWorks Digital Subwoofer.

Connection to Sound Blaster Live! Value via SPDIF Bracket.
    [​IMG]

That is Version 1.0 Dated September 1999.
    0430001918 Rev. A at the bottom.

[​IMG]
    And there is the insert.

13. Badepapa

Badepapa What's a Dremel?

Hi All,

I got a Creative's SB Live 5.1 Digital recently, but i dint got to see the AC-3 Decode option in my Surround Mixer. After an exhautive search I got to know about soft modding the card. In one of the forums i got to know that if i connect the PIN 1 and PIN 23 of AUD_EXT with a 4.7 K resistor, i can turn on that option. But but but .... I dont see that AUD_EXT on my card. Can you guys help me to figure out why i dont have AUD_EXT on my card and is there any other way that i can make my card decode digital dolby 5.1 sound. I have read a lot of stuff regarding OEM but I got the card in a reatil box og Creative Labs.

14. jeromie

jeromie What's a Dremel?

5-Pin SPDIF I/O Pinout

Hello Forum!

I just wanted to affirm Rovman's pinouts for the 5-pin SPDIF I/O port on the SBLive 5.1 Digital cards. (SB0220)

I already had the soldering iron warmed up when I realized that the familiar 20-pin connector was gone!

I removed the pins from one end of the supplied two-wire Digital CD-ROM cable and placed the white wire on Pin-1, and the black wire on Pin-3 of the 5-pin SPDIF I/O connector, and plugged the opposite end of the cable into the CD SPDIF/IN connector on a second card. It works like a charm.

Cheers,
    Jeromie Clark
    VP Information Technology
    Smoothjazz.Com, Inc
    http://www.smoothjazz.com/

15. Yelrad

Yelrad What's a Dremel?

My Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Has No pin areas except for like a wire plugin for TAD (WTF IS THAT??) AUX_IN (Dunno Either ) CD_SPDIF (ONLY 2 PINS??)

16. dj_stick

dj_stick What's a Dremel?

TAD - Telephone Answering Device - i think it's used with CL and some other internal modems
    AUX_IN - similiar to CD_IN, with 4 pins for left and right audio, and ground
    CD_SPDIF - two pin digital audio input from an optical disk drive (or any other source) it supports both standard spdif levels (+/-0.5 V) aswell as TTL levels (0-5 V)