1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Is Asus p8p67 Deluxe, LGA1155, DDR3 Re-usable???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neil_b, 18 Jan 2021.

1. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

I've got a (admittedly old) PC that Asus (the manufacturer of the P8P67 Deluxe mobo that the PC's built around) say will NOT run W10 (which I need it to), and that the Mobo needs upgrading to something newer (I'm not wedded to Asus at all btw). The key specs are (i.e. the parts I'd rather not bin!);

DDR3 Memory - 16GB (4x4GB)
    Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40 GHz
    MSI GTX 570 1280MB

(and the Mobo is Asus P8P67 Deluxe mobo - LGA1155 socket (this is the part Asus say doesn't support W10 so it may have to go... and it IS old I know)).

I've still got the case, PSU, graphics card, cooler, SSD's etc too.

Can anyone recommend a new mobo that would be able to re-use the DDR3, i7 2600K and MSI GTX 570 - and probably most importantly, run latest W10? Or do I have to ditch the lot and build a new PC from scratch (which I'd be ok with if I had to do it)? The recycled/upgraded or new PC is to be used largely for Minecraft + live-streaming.

Many thanks guys....
    N.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

What do you mean won't run it?

My second rig is an i7 3770 on an Asus P8Z77-M and it works perfectly fine (LGA1155)

Edit: Your motherboard even has bios and driver updates for W10 64 (drivers i let W10 do itself as it's old gear though). It may be worth updating that bios if yours is older though.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2021
  3. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

They've said that the drivers for several of the on-board hardware elements won't work with W10. Is your P8Z77-M same vintage as my p8p67 ~2011?

4. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I was happily running win10 on an older Core i5 720 and P55 board until about 6 months back, and still got it running on some old AM2 boards (including an ancient ASUS one) with no issues whatsoever and everything working. ASUS not officially supporting something doesn't mean it wont work as expected.

The win10 upgrade process used to include a hardware scan that would highlight any known incompatibilities. Though not sure if that's still in there.

If you have a spare drive to swap over you could always try a test install.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

2012 I think.

6. Ajbod

Ajbod Minimodder

One of the computers in this house is a
    Z68-a3-b3 , I5 2500k, 16gb ddr3, R9 390x.
    windows 10 flies on that.
    i've run windows 10 on LGA775 boards with Q9400 and core2 duos.
    never had problems, maybe the odd niggle finding obscure drivers, but
    not many.

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Ran Win 10 on multiple skt 775 boards without issues. It basically just find everything that is needed.

This includes a Foxconn P45 ELA which is somewhat obscure.

I would be very surprised if it didn’t work on a P67 board. Maybe some random onboard “thing” may not be picked up quite right but I can’t say I have experienced this in my own builds.

8. Jards8595

Jards8595 Minimodder

I have that Mobo with an i5 2500k, 16gb ddr3 running win 10 Pro no problem, with a fresh install its actually really nice.
    I dont even know which bios im on, win 10 just worked.

9. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

I usually like & trust Asus but that's some straight up BS.

It will work. And I doubt you'll have any issues.

What Asus mean is that they only have an audio driver for that board on Win 10 whereas they have LAN/Chipset/Bluetooth/USB/Sata drivers if using Win7 and they're rather that you buy new parts from them so that you have full driver support.

But Windows is pretty good at finding basic drivers that work.

The P67 was the last high-end Intel Chipset not to have any support for USB 3.0. However, your board has an NEC controller that adds 4 USB 3.0 sockets. On Win 7 you would need the drivers as USB 3.0 support isn't built in. But USB 3.0 support is built into Win10 and from experience Win 10 is excellent at finding drivers that will work automatically.

The only biggie that Win10 needs is SSE2 support which Intel introduced 21 years ago in 2000 with Pentium 4. Not all CPUs of that age supported it as at work 5-6 years ago we had one PC from around 2004 and while Win7 could be installed the Win10 auto update thing Microsoft added refused to run as the CPU didn't support the correct instruction set.

Back on topic, in your case with a Sandy Bridge CPU, that's not an issue as all Sandy Bridge CPUs support SSE2. You should be absolutely fine.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2021
    blackerthanblack likes this.