1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals DAC Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by el2k, 1 Feb 2021.

1. el2k

el2k Modder

Hey guys, so I'm a massive noob when it comes to audio!

I currently have a pair of KRK Rokits that I use on my pc through a RCA -> 3.5mm cable, which is apparently awful and I'm aware of this.

I want a DAC and I've read good things about the Focusrite Scarlett?

My question is, am I using XLR cables for the best sound, and I'm also thinking about getting a new microphone, maybe XLR? Can I use this or do I need a audio interface?

Please explain all to me, audio gods!

Thanks in advance

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

A Scarlett -> KRK Rokits is a good option - you can run the audio out from the Scarlett into the Rokits, balanced, via balanced TRS. It's basically a small production audio interface, and the version I have (2i2, now discontinued I think) has two XLR/line in, and two balanced TRS out.

You can go Mic -> XLR -> Scarlett and then Scarlett -> Balanced TRS x2 -> Rokits x2

Hope this helps.

el2k likes this.
  3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

The Solo is also fine if you want one in and one out - the 2i2 is just needed if you want a pair of mics AFAIK.

That said, I'm only using my Solo for the mic and have never plumbed speakers into it, so can't say if there are caveats etc.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2021
    el2k likes this.
  4. el2k

el2k Modder

Thanks mate, this makes it all clear, can use TRS cables for the pair of speakers and XLR cable for a mic all through the scarlett!

Appreciate it! Is the Scarlett the best for around the £150 price point or is there something else I should be looking at?

5. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

I have a solo (because I'm a musician not a hifi enthusiast) and it's great. Did you get sorted? I only ask because I cheekily have my second-gen Solo for sale...... :D

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can