1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Gaming on an iGPU, the HD630

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by thewelshbrummie, 11 Apr 2021.

1. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

5 years since I first posted about it, I've finally purchased parts for a new build, the last of which is due in around 2 weeks time.

I am, however, going without a GPU due to the obvious. So I'm stuck gaming on the iGPU that comes with the 10700K, the HD630. I've got 16GB DDR4 @3,600MHz to go with it.

It's mainly due to decent mATX boards on AMD being non-existent, but in the current climate going Intel was the only choice as AMD CPUs don't do video out and this build is replacing an empty space on my desk (and I'm not paying $200 for the 2 gen old 3200g). That and I got the 10700K with change from $277 including tax last week.

So I'm wondering what I can expect in terms of gaming on the HD630. I doubt I can use the full 2560x1400 resolution of my monitor which arrived today but 1080p might be viable in some older games and 720p should also work.

Gamersnexus posted a video discussing this yesterday:

But it doesn't really help give me an idea as to what I might be a able to get, as those tests were mainly focused on the UHD 750 @1080p & 720p would be fine for the time being (and probably won't look that bad as 1280x720 is half the native 2560x1440). I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to what the iGPU is comparable to (is it similar to the 8800GT I bought in 2008, for example).

Any advice would be appreciated. Clearly Red Dead Redemption 2 is out, as is GTA V but I'm wondering if 2008 era games would be fine like GTA IV, or Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars? That would more than keep me going as I haven't played them for years so wouldn't mind another go at the single player campaign.

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

The Intel UHD630 numbers are in the review you posted from gamers nexus, the ones for the 10900k will mirror your 10700k. That will tell you all you need to know, it is rubbish.

Plenty of Decent AMD uATX boards? AMD APU would have been a better choice to live with for a bit, the 630UHD is terrible for any sort of gaming, I used to use it on a laptop (620 but no difference really) you have to scale the resolution and quality right down just to get into double digit fps if of course they even run because Intel drivers.....don't even go there.

You want one of Intels latest CPUs with new iGPU or AMD APU if you want something tolerable, I do plenty of 1080p30 gaming on my AMD APUs

a 630 will be less than half the performance of a 8800GT

Intel iGPU vs AMD APU and 1050Mobile, APU sits between 1030 and 1050.

[​IMG]

Result (3dmark.com)

Last edited: 11 Apr 2021
  3. thewelshbrummie

Appreciate the answer, though a 2 year old Zen+ AMD APU for $190, nearly double RRP, just isn't worth i - especially with it having around the same compute performance as the 4670K in my last build. This was more a post regarding expectations from the iGPU, as I fully intend on fitting something like the 3060Ti or 3070 down the road and wasn't expecting miracles from it - but at least it gives me a usable PC without overpaying for anything.

As for motherboards, I simply couldn't find an AMD mATX board with the features I wanted. Not that there were many choices on Intel but at least there were some. And for $277 I'm happy with the 10700K - though probably wouldn't have been if I'd paid more for it.

Arboreal likes this.
  4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

If its all you've got, you'll make it work, look at some lowspecgamer youtubes for optimisation techniques, you can play a lot of things if you put the effort in and lower standaards,

When I was suggesting AMD APU I was thinking a new onw, the 4xxxG series is Zen2 and goes toe to toe with a 10 series in both single thread and multi thread, in the UK at least the 4750 is cheaper than the 10700k, though the Ryzen is a grey purchase, not being released to gen pop just oems, I was just showing numbers of an igpu I had, as I have both Intel and amd so can show the difference, apologies for not being clear.

Numbers are fairly relevant in context of iGPU performance as like Intel (excluding the 10nm mobiles series that has a decent iGPU) the iGPU portion of the AMD is barely moved on in each iteration, its been capped a level unlike the CPU portion, none of the CPU manufacturers have seen fit to go nuts on iGPU side.

Last edited: 11 Apr 2021
  5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

At least the modern iGPU has support for Dx12, meaning you should be able to most games at very low setting.

I had to use a G92 (originally found in 8800GT) based OEM card for a few weeks while GPU was in warranty claim. It couldn't even launch newer but low requirement games like Halo MCC.

Go for pre-2010 games and you should have no problem. Re-live the classics: Any Valve games, Worms, CnC 3 should be no problem, TES Oblivion, Telltale adventure games, etc.
    Newer and simpler games should also work well, settings may need to be lowered: Superhot, Halo MCC, Homeworld Remastered.

Good luck! As said, if it's all you've got, you'll make it work.

6. thewelshbrummie

Built the system yesterday. I'm mainly looking at replaying C&C games, particularly C&C3/RA3 since I haven't played the single player story missions since original release so was thinking of replaying them.

I'm genuinely surprised that on the HD630, they're fine at my monitors 2K native resolution at medium/high settings, especially considering I haven't really explored the BIOS yet (I've only set XMP II mode and that's it so far). It's doing far better than the 256MB 8800GT I originally played those games on - at 1280x1024.

I say that as they weren't playable on the HD4600 iGPU on the 4670K.

I'm not short of pre-2010 games to play. wyx087, I think you're on to something that anything that old will be fine. I tried Supreme Commander 2 earlier and that was also surprisingly playable at native resolution, though there were some obvious to the eye frame drops, mainly when zooming in/out quickly on a skirmish map and deep into a 4vs4 skirmish when nukes started to be thrown around and detonate. it clearly struggled rendering to the point that zooming in on a nuke explosion allowed me to count an fps of around 5 - but's it's better than I was expecting & it still seemed to be reasonable playable so long as I don't go for a closeup on nuke explosions. I suspect though that this is the limit.

That will do me nicely though until 3070s become reasonably priced again. And it give me plenty of time to get the cable management sorted out.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2021
    wyx087 likes this.
  7. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

N17 dizzi likes this.
  8. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

9. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Available and would be a huge upgrade on the iGPU you have:-
    https://www.ebuyer.com/1145017-xfx-radeon-rx-550-2gb-graphics-card-rx-550p2pfg5
    I'm trying to find some definitive information:

Is this faster than the much older GTX 750 non ti? The websites I've been checking contradict eachother.

On paper it seems like the RX550 should be somewhat faster

Probably the same using these comparison videos with a ti version as a guide:-
    (1) RX 550 Vs. GT 1030 Vs. GTX 750 Ti | New Games Benchmarks in 2021 - YouTube
    (1) GTX 750ti vs RX 460 vs RX 550|Gaming Benchmark|Which is better? - YouTube

10. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Thanks Superhans, didn't think of Youtube.

I'll embed them here for others:

SuperHans123 likes this.