1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cryptocurrency

Discussion in 'General' started by MLyons, 6 Dec 2017.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

David likes this.
  2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I was pretty much using it as a way to stress test my passive x570 and Ryzen giving the chipset quite a thrashing due to loading all the SSDs both SATA and NVMe and of course the CPU, quite happy with the passive chipset but my No FAN cooler on 8c/16t even underclocked is borderline.

Interesting little experiment with Chia.

BeauchN, Arboreal and wyx087 like this.
  3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Thanks @sandys, I thought Chia would be too good to be true, and that video was a great insight into the resources required on an ongoing basis.
    Not for me, but still interested in the crypto arena to see how it develops and progresses.

4. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

It’s a good video for anyone thinking of getting in to it, especially given the green-washing attempt in Chia’s advertising. I’d already come to similar conclusions on the need to keep churning out plots to stay competitive and the associated costs to do so (electricity, temp drive SSDs and mass storage).

That said, I’m still going to create a few hundred plots and see what happens. But at the moment I doubt I’ll go much further.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Its basically playing the lottery, you might win but chances are your not going too

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

OK, so I was going to move ~ 0.04 ETH from NH to Coinbase and got this message:

Warning! High Network Fee due to current blockchain conditions.

The fee was almost 90%

Obviously, I didn't do it, but wut-teh-akchewal-fuq?

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Elon musk tweet just removed $5000 off Bitcoin, this could be a very red night

they don’t want people moving stuff around anymore so are charging ludicrous fees, virtually all sites have high fees now

8. el2k

el2k Modder

I'll take it off your hands :thumb:

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Wasn't going to sell. I just wanted to move it to my Coinbase wallet - Nicehash has been flaky as fug over the last few days, and my move coincided with Elon fcuking with the crypto markets again.

10. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Bet your are feeling good right now... :clap:

11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Elon Musk did something, so hike up the fees and hope the panicky idiots aren't looking.

12. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I was initially surprised that Musk's tweet had such an impact as, after all, it's not like he's dumping Bitcoin. But then I remembered a lot of the people getting in because of the hype probably aren't sane rational people who pay attention to details like that.

We'll probably find that Musk uses the dip to buy in another $bn or two... which will send the price sky high again...

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I guess this is one of the things that bothers me about some crypto - it seems to be very susceptible to market manipulation and I can't help but feel that that's just a way for rich people to get richer and smaller players to lose out.

If everyone is going in with their eyes wide open then fair enough, but I'm not sure that everyone is doing that - like any other speculative bubble there are going to be a lot of people caught up in it who lose out.

14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Brand new to the world of crypto. I have trawled through this thread and realised a lot of folk are mining, which seems expensive.

Is coinbase worth looking at? I think i am going to look more into this.

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Replace crypto with anything and it's still correct :)

You'll get those who become millionaires, and makes everyone else think that can be them, but for most it won't be all rainbows and unicorns.

16. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I took out an extra 450 in the end. Not worth the risk. I'll have a scout around for other projects saturday. I've been using pancake swap pools the last week or so and want to do more research to see if there are better ways to do it to make money

17. rollo

rollo Modder

For new people I would research what are called Safe coins, Things with real world implications. Avoid the Meme coins like Doge and Shib these are just legit gambling.
    you want 80-90% of your portfolio in safe stable coins, Might get 5-10% per year out of them but thats better APR than the bank. If you brought into Bitcoin last year just before christmas you would still be sitting at a 100% net gains.
    Hbar VET and ADA are all pretty stable and all have long term gains. Link is another, Eth and bitcoin both have real world usages so are also classed as stable

Crypto market is very volatile, Elon musk tweets doge last night its gained 30% today.

18. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Shouldn't this make anyone with any serious money in crypto panic in a big way? That exchanges are going to literally stop them getting their money out when the crash starts?

rollo likes this.
  19. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I would not assume any cryptocurrency is safe and stable. Invest nothing that you cannot afford to lose.

rollo likes this.
  20. rollo

rollo Modder

It happened on previous crashes as well, The Crypto sites most of them need to sell stuff to pay you money, Thats why its 3-5 days on most of them to withdrawn. Unless you physically own the coins in a wallet on your hard drive this is always the case

No doubt that is always the default advice, Invest what you can afford to lose. All investments carry risk.