1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Disappointing custom loop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sgoaty, 11 May 2021.

1. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

Ordered :)

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Worth bearing in ming that 5XXX CPUs tend to run quite hot. My 5600X hits 70C+ despite water temp being in the high 30s to low 40s.

3. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Some of the blocks have flow paths directed over the chips within the CPU. I think the TechN AM4 block is designed specifically to put cooler fluid over the hot spots. So it has a specific orientation.

4. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

The TechN block has shaved around 5c off the CPU temperature :)

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Having same problems keeping the 5950x in check, though I have not put it in my main system yet, as I have not bought a motherboard as x570S chipsets seem to be coming out now, so holding fire just yet, just running it in my NAS for now with an AMD cooler from a 65w processor :D so I am not surprised it is heat capped at 90C :D still performs better than my 2920x :D really does seem to manage its power well and can maintain high clocks even in this poor setup and in fact when I enable ECO mode.

Thinking of plumping for the TechN for when I build my desktop, any buyers remorse, or are you very happy, are you seeing signiifcantly better performance than the AIO now?

What is its space like around the socket, my current 570 board is a uATX and looks crowded, I could only fit the AMD fan on upside down for example due to clashes with DIMMs, any chance of some images?

[​IMG]

Looking at pics I guess it would be sideways in my case and should fit

EDIT, yup looking at that Guru3d review looks like it will be fine, still interested in your feedback though.

Any issues with import charges?

Last edited: 1 Jun 2021
    Sgoaty likes this.
  6. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Sgoaty likes this.
  7. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I'll get onto it tomorrow Who do you guys use to host?

8. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

No import charges, I checked on the HMRC page and it's under the threshold so I didn't just get lucky :)

I'm still getting in the low 70s so while it's not a big improvement over the Corsair AIO as far as temperatures go it's much much quieter. No buyers remorse the only thing I don't like about it is the RGB isn't great. Also worth bearing in mind you can't rotate the block 180 the In will need to go in the bottom and out on the top. This might make it slightly harder to make it tidy.

I think I need to reconfigure my loop to improve temperatures further. At the moment I have the coolant flowing through the front radiator first so the case is getting filled with warm air from there then the same warm air is being pushed through the top radiator.

I'm thinking about changing it so it goes through the top radiator first then the air pushed into the case through the front radiator should be slightly cooler. Do you think that sound like it's worth doing?

Thanks
    Scott

sandys likes this.
  9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

While technically that should improve performance, I don't think it would make that much of a difference. I'd be interested to see if there was a difference though if you did it, but don't go chopping things up on my account. lol Sometimes if it's working and doing it's job it's best to just leave it be, the amount of times I've tinkered with my pc trying different layouts and cooling setups, only to drop a screwdriver or get a leak and break something, so annoying.

But I am a total clutz :hehe:

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I doubt you'd see a big change unless you are stalling the air inside your case, low 70s would be an achievement for me, I have put an order in for the techN, just wondering if my pump would be up to scratch, the Guru3d article seems to suggest you need good flow, I will only have a the CPU in loop so not too concerned it is bound to be better than what i have now but I am just using a bunch of bits I had in a box destined for W/Cing my daughters machine when I could finally pass on my 1080Ti but its only got a thin 240mm rad, so it might not be much better than an AIO.

My main machine has big ass pump and loads of rads as it used to cool 4 devices back in SLI/CF days, so no concern when I get there.

As @The_Crapman suggests though, if its running might be best to leave it, like him I have done many a screw ups dropping something or braking something whilst tearing it apart, the worst one, my 1080Ti for example only works on 4 lanes as I had no back plate and on adjusting something I dropped a tool on it broke something and now it now longer works at full 16x.

Ultimately my NAS machine will go back to its 35w 4 core APU when I have the bits for my desktop but you know how it is as new chips are released the opportunity to drop in more cores quite cheaply is appealling, so as long as my NAS setup can handle a 5950x I'll be confident I can drop anything inside in the future.

Last edited: 2 Jun 2021
  11. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I've ordered a GPU block so I'll be chopping up regardless :grin:

The_Crapman likes this.
  12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Fits lovely, temps right down, all core 4.7Ghz no problem, well until it hit its sustained limit

Bit of a mess in the case as the cable from the pump only had an bloody inch..... so had to pull some cable and shift stuff about will tidy at some point, nice block, screws straight into standard backing plate.

[​IMG]

Bloody_Pete, Goatee and kim like this.
  13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It's a weird chip this 5950x, under low load voltages go up as does temperature, yet it can load all cores at same speeds and knock a load of voltages out, seems like a chip that needs some manual undervolting to keep things reasonable.

14. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'm not RGB LED guy but looks like it lights up a nice blue would work with my pipes, perhaps I'll plug mine in, I was going to chop the cable off as its just tuck up there on mine.

Sgoaty and Goatee like this.
  16. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

Vault-Tec likes this.
  17. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

@sandys

How's your block holding up? my micro fins are looking pretty tarnished already. I've only been running mayhem's clear fluid through it. I just discovered it today when I went to add a little blue dye.

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Mine is looking good at the moment but there was no re-use, all new gear so no likely hood of contaminants, also using Mayhams clear, its been running almost none stop since the build.

My threadripper machine on the other hand not so hot, it had sprung a leak from a pump which was many years old so did a quick fix using car fluid and plumbers tape, that appears to have reacted, nice floaty bits in the water.....aaargh.

I have actually bought another one of the TEch N blocks for my main machine deciding to leave this loop in the NAS as I quite like it, overkill for a 35w processor but it looks good, sad eh :D hopefully there are no issues with quality and you have just had a contaminant issue.

19. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

You a TechN convert now?

20. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

Mine goes off for over 2 weeks at a time. Maybe that's giving it a chance to start corroding?