1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ofcom publishes its latest UK telecoms league tables

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 7 Sep 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

i wonder why broadband complaints have increased in the last year :winking:

3. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Virgin are pretty terrible to be honest. As a service it on paper and from a technology stand point should be more reliable. Reality is though that it is not.

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

VM Seems OK to me so far but I'd definitely only consider them due to cheapness on a deal, and wouldn't consider them if you really need good latency, if you are on the old coax stuff as I am its a bit all over the place, my old G.fast setup from Sky was far superior, ~10ms lower everywhere than VM, despite much lower bandwidth.

Some of VMs new installs are FTTP these will be better.

General internet browsing is better on VM vs Sky though, Sky clearly doing to much spying on what I am doing I guess.

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Given that I live in an area without Openreach FTTP (and no installation dates in sight), I recently moved from Plus.net to Virgin (SE suburban London).

I couldn't be happier - the speed and reliability of the service is leagues better than what I was getting with my old (and I suspect poor quality) telephone line. I'm also pleased with the customer service - the installation technician was pretty good too.

I used to struggle to get 35Mbit (despite paying for "full-fat" 80Mbit fibre), and now I reliably get 365Mbit (paying for 350Mbit). I could have opted for 1Gbit if I'd wanted to.

So don't read into these too much - performance does vary from area to area.

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I'm surprised Plusnet do so badly, my experience is that they are keen to get problems fixed without messing about. As for mobile, I've been with Tesco for 3½ years and, not had a problem.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup it is fair to say I have had pretty good service, install was great, wired to where I wanted etc, so no complaints from me about VM, bar the latency.

You only have to go on the community forums to see some of the issue VM face, people have paid for superfast internet but predominantly only use Wifi and many don't understand the limitations of Wifi and the hardware that is supplied and are complaining.

So they are fighting a loosing battle really as no ISP supplied hardware is going to give you 1Gb all around your house on Wifi, you'd be lucky to get full signal around the a house at any speed.

8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Been with Virgin since they bought out the NTL hardware. In the early days they'd bend over backwards to give me what I was paying for. Not looked lately, but my prices seem steep. There is another fibre company out there with epic speeds and prices. Not in my area yet. I can't remember what they are called though.. New company I'd never heard of... Dammit the one time I want a history lol.

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

That's the fault of the ISPs, tbh - most of their adverts don't talk about broadband speeds any more, it's all about fast wifi to all parts of your house. Most non-technical people I've spoken to, both as part of work and in general, conflate broadband and wifi together and when they're moaning about their internet, they're really moaning about their wifi

10. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Virgin should be 404'd, in my opinion. They broke my network during install, then never even attempted to remediate. I pulled the wires out of their external box and changed provider.

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

YMMV.

I've been with Plusnet for over twenty years - problems do crop up but they're usually few and far between. They always seem to sort out issues reasonably quickly. Their webmail service is utter pants mind, but I only use it occasionally.

12. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

I've been with VM for the last 15 years, never had any issues with them, i was sent a dodgy router at on point and it was rectified very quickly. I have also recently to virgin mobile and had no issues.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'll say the same thing I say when the subject of Virgin Media comes up on this forum: put their PoS hardware in modem-only mode and use your own router, preferably something with highly configurable or custom firmware like DD-WRT and such. Your connection reliability and quality will skyrocket, and I suspect the same is true for many other ISPs also. It can't compensate for some idiot cutting through the cable when doing road works, but most of the time the problem is the utter garbage hardware they give you.

Tags: Add Tags