1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CNC uber router - Yay, update!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by kong, 7 Sep 2003.

1. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

A Dremel wouldn't have the power to be used on a CNC unless you went very slowly, plus it's just as accurate to mount a small tool onto the big-ass spindle, since the detail of the work is down to the axis accuracy.

2. mashie

mashie The one and only

Nice to see that you can do aluminium cutting, I might let you do a few bits and pieces for me next year if you can beat the prices from the watercutting guys.

3. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Nice. How fast this cut now??? benchmarks, I guess you could call em that, plz.

And I must say again, that this totlally :rock:'s

4. Seal

Seal What's a Dremel?

... overclock it

5. kong

kong cnc-guy

Belive or not, it would be possible, just need a bigger power supply for the motors and some cooling!
    Pygowassname, I mentioned the speed earlier. 4500mm/min. But that doesn't mean it can cut that quick, just positioning movements.

6. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Yeah, thats what I meant.. does, or will it actually cut that quickly.. or well, what is the actuall cutting speed.. on a line, curveed or not and so forth?
    and my name is Pygobombe, but thats ok. If its easier for everyone, Pygo is fine... I've shortened it to that for some things anyways.

7. kong

kong cnc-guy

Lol, sorry about the name, I couldn't be bothered to scroll up the thread to find out! Anyhow, the cutting speed will vary upon what material it is, how deep and what size cutter I use. If I am doing light engraving in plexi or similar, the cutting speed will be close to the top speed, whereas if I am cutting aluminium, the cutting speed will be very slow. Whether the lines are straight or curved doesn't make too much difference, it is i nthe transition between straights and curves where the machine will decellerate slightly. I have a lot to learn about cutting speeds myself!

8. MarcelloRupelli

MarcelloRupelli What's a Dremel?

Yeah, they say you really need to run manual mills and stuff for a while to get a feel for cutting feeds, speeds and depth of cut, etc. Problem is, when you're turning handles manually, you really have no idea what that feed rate is :grr: Ohwell. I'm sure you'll get that all sorted out. I thought I'd mention, for no real reason, that our flat laser has a max. traversing speed af around 3300 inches/minute :worried: It'd nutty. I think that sorta speed would flip over your mill ;) But anyway, feed rates don't mean much. Quality of cut is much more important. I can cut stainless, like grills, at around 300 inches/minute, but it leaves a slaggy mess for me to clean up :grr:

9. kong

kong cnc-guy

That is crazy, 3300 IPM!!
    Man, to manage a cut at my own top speed of 170IPM I would need a pretty big spindle!

10. Lupine

Lupine What's a Dremel?

Hello? Echo?

I take it that it's still too damn cold to go out to the shed without 5 2KW fan heaters and four layers of thermal underwear then? :hehe:

Or has christmas food taken its toll on your modding skills (i.e. can't reach past your waistline any more to hold a screwdriver ;) )

It's not right seeing this project on page 2.

Anyway, hope you and all those who read this thread had a good christmas and don't get too bladdered over new year :naughty:

Lupine.

11. Jordanis3r

Jordanis3r Jigsaw Master

nice work - there said it again - well done! (and happy new year:D)

12. kong

kong cnc-guy

Sorry for the delay!

Just wanted to say sorry guys for the delay in getting this wrapped up! I have been enjoying a lazy christmas, and haven't even thought about going out to finnish off this beast. However, I ordered a new router the other day (Makita RF1101) from www.coastaltool.com in the USA and it is due here tomorrow. I will get some router mounts cut over the weekend for it, pick up a transformer so I can use it, then the machine will be finnished! Just bear with me a little longer, and if anyone has contacted me regarding grills recently, get in touch again now and pile on the pressure!

13. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

If you mean a power transformer, Maplin have a 240>110 step down transformer on sale for a tenner (if it'd be good enough).

14. kong

kong cnc-guy

Thanks I'll go look, but it needs to be 1500watts. I should be able to get a building trade one for about £50.

15. freakweb

freakweb What's a Dremel?

Dunno if this's been asked before but do you think you could make a video of the CNC in action?
    I'd really like to see it ;)

16. kong

kong cnc-guy

Yep, once I get used to the machine, so in about a month or so. It seems pointless to show you a video of me cutting a straight line with it!

17. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Been watching this for a while... I like it a lot... may indeed get something done by you if my projects get the time...

Oh.. just read this month's custom PC... well done dude... you deserve it..

(ps... you're a baker *giggles*)

18. Lupine

Lupine What's a Dremel?

This may be a stupid idea, but all the video of home made CNC I've seen has the bit moving very slowly, so...

How about doing timelapse video of something more intricate, like a full fan grille?

And, to be honest, sound on a video is very ver not necessary :) There's only so long you can listen to the noise of a router whirring away...

Timelapse may not be viable though, depending on your camera etc. and without a tripod, it would really be a bad idea.

On a total side note, I saw a thread on cnczone with someone wondering how you converted RPM to inches per minute for a tool rotation speed. I'd have thought that RPM*pi*(bit diameter)=inches per minute of cutting edge, but I could be totally wrong about what they mean.

Well, have fun getting your shiny new toy working :)

19. kplonk

kplonk What's a Dremel?

Timelapse would be good if you have the kit...

Really nice bit of work you have done on this.. :clap:

20. Lupine

Lupine What's a Dremel?