1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Project - PowerCore - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by riekmaharg2, 26 Jul 2020.

1. Bennibo

Bennibo What's a Dremel?

I havent been around much lately, so i just found this threat and was amazed. Congratulations!

I've had this idea of combining a big passive heat sink with watercooling since I finished my last build, but i was always afraid of corrosion of the aluminum if you use standard watercooling components made of copper.
    Did you encounter any of those problems?
    What watercooling components are you using and whats the size of those heat sinks?

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Black and red. Suits you sir.

3. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

I ended up trying a couple different designs but neither really made a difference, so I stuck with the original. Under normal load conditions like gaming the loop stays around 50c which is fine I think with these parts as they don't throttle, and turbo up still. Prime95 is especially savage for CPU heat.

Thanks guys :)

Yeah you wont really have any issues so long as you go for blocks that are all chrome/nickel plated, it seems to do a good job of isolating the aluminium from the copper. That and always use proper coolant as they have corrosion inhibitors. With these parts I had them ceracote'd which will help as well, but some of the epoxy had come off inside of the pump on my previous build and so the bare un-anodised aluminium was exposed for years, and it was still fine. I think the volume of aluminium vs block works to your advantage as well, as there is a lot more aluminium than block, given the size of the heatsinks, so if there is corrosion its probably really evenly spread out to the point you don't notice it.

The heatsinks are these:
    https://www.bal-group.com/heatsink_detail/220

I could get about 1.7 (of the total width) of these heatsinks (375mm long) in this case out of one of those full size ones, so I had to buy 3 annoyingly and cut them down. They do sell other sizes, but they just cut down the full size one, so it ends up being more expensive.

:grin:, I often have it just set on fading slowly through all the colours, as I'm assuming if you just leave RGB leds on a single colour, it will start to dull by comparison to the other colours.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2022
    Jean R built and Cheapskate like this.
  4. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Well 50° is more than fine and if it run a bit hotter it would be fine anyway, there is a reason why there are memes with Laptop gamer telling that 90°C is fine while the PC player is screaming at the same temp, at the end of the day if it works it works, and your case is cool.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

My tin can is currently doing 60 degrees just surfing here. I think 50 is excellent.

6. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Really excellent attention to detail and workmanship - bravo sir! Are temps still an issue, and if so is it airflow over the radiators?

7. pccustom

pccustom Multimodder

great mod! congrats!