1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

The room was tanked before we moved in as the previous owner was a lady in her 90s so stepping into a bath or even a raised shower was all but impossible. It has also been a huge help as my wife has fibromyalgia (constant nerve pain) so being able to just walk in and shower has been most useful. I think if I have to replace it (going to be searching for leaks that I can sort out first, I have ideas) then I shall be ripping all the tanking out and putting in a large shower tray. There is plenty of room as there is no bath in there so I could, in theory put a tray in that goes the full width of the room.

However, fingers crossed I can sort it by resealing the drain, something that I need to open up anyway as it needs a good clean out (my wife sheds more than the 4 cats...).

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Tell me about it! I've fished out more hair that you would find on a sheep dog.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

VM: This is fine, nothing to see here...

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Jun 2022
  4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Sounds like another job for Byron, he's our plumbing guru, our go-to-guy, and he never. ever swears at people.

mrlongbeard and lancer778544 like this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Me? Swear? Un-****ing-believeable, I would never.

The_Crapman, lancer778544 and spolsh like this.
  6. oscy

oscy Modder

Twerky girl's last day. She didn't twerk really in this job, but obviously she's my friend and wasn't lazy so it was nice to work with her. Who will brighten my days now?

(Also only a couple girls applied for the several roles we had, so it's going to be a major sausage-fest for now. Only woman that was hired is, by coincidence, a friend's mum.)

7. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I just tested positive to CVD, it was bound to happen eventually. So far, sore throat and mild headache.

8. RedFlames

Virgin: there's nothing wrong with your hub or connection...

you ****ing liars...

[​IMG]

9. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I would celebrate for a week if my numbers were there.

10. Almightyrastus

OK, good news and bad about the leak in the kitchen situation...

Came downstairs this morning and there was a lot more leakage going on, still just drips, just plenty more. Called out a plumber (£279 for a callout and look to see what was up.... ouch). Turns out the bathroom flooring is fine, no leaks there.

However, the bad news is that there is a pinhole at the bottom of the hot water tank... Got in the cupboard where it is hiding and there it was, peeing out of the bottom of the tank. Turns out that the tank is ancient with the top and bottom soldered to a big tube of copper, none of this one piece swaged stuff here...

However, this does mean that now is about the right time to look at getting shot of the old boiler, hot tank and header tank and go combi. finally into the modern age... problem is that is going to be about £4000...

The other problem is that due to the way that the shower was plumbed in, there are 3 separate places to isolate the shower pipe, but no means of isolating the header tank fill without completely turning off the water to the shower...

So my current choices are either shower or leaking hot tank.... Good job my parents are only 15 mins down the road, off for a shower. Then need to call the bank tomorrow and redo the loan to have a little more on, was looking forward to clearing that, then sort out an appointment to get the work done, it never ends.

Only saving grace is that my manager is very good on being flexible with working from home and the likes, plus I have some time that I can take off to get it all sorted. Oh and I suppose it is a good thing that it all happened during the summer.

(really trying to keep positive here, it ain't easy...)

11. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've waited fifteen months since I pre-ordered a copy of Achewood Volume 1, it kept getting delayed but today it was due for delivery.

Amazon have just pulled the order as they don't actually have the stock :wallbash:

DeanSUNIAIU likes this.
  12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My wife's birthday celebrations were cancelled last year 'cos of COVID-19. This year, guess what she's got for her birthday - which is in three days?

Yup! A *super* positive COVID-19 test. Like, never seen such a dark line. Hooray(!)

13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Sounds like Mrs crap. Got the once in a lifetime fluke of 10days off over Christmas? That'll be COVID. Get 9days off over your birthday? That'll be COVID. Have never met anyone to have such bad luck with such things.

14. RedFlames

You sure she didn't do the marker pen thing to avoid going out?

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  15. Almightyrastus

My manager is currently stuck in Singapore after testing positive the day he was meant to fly home... And it's monsoon season...

16. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

The last week has been absolute hell.

The wife had jaw surgery last thursday to correct an underbite and jaw misaalignment - which meant she came out with her jaws wired shut (effectively - but done with very strong elastic) - so hasnt been abler to eat or talk.
    Whilst she's had it bad, she is most definitely a "misery loves compnay" type of person so spreads it around liberally.

I ask a question that has a simple yes/no answer? resorts to long widned and slow response via messenger app; I ask a complex question, which i have been trying to avoid, she tries to speak. Have you ever tried to speak with your jaw locked shut and a plastic plate inhibiting your tongue movement? its a right bitch, but if i dont understand her first attempt? She a) gives up, and b) later has a go via messenger.
    She thinks something (not related to her/her surgery/her needs) needs doing? It must be done immediately, and if I dont, i get a look for confusion followed by annoyance followed by passive aggresive messages. She decided that she wanted to arrange to return a face-mask cooling machine early yesterday, 10 minutes before they closed, and after I had just told her i was going out to pick the daughter up from her dance class.

Add that to the continuous state of waiting for the next call/need to do something, and seriosu lack of sleep (best nights sleep in the last week has been 2 blocks of 3hrs in one night) has left my nerves, temper and patience in tatters; and my sanity slipping away.

Arghhhhhhhhh.

/rant
    /vent

17. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

How's your wife?
    I'm on day 6 with Covid; I went through a sore throat, mild fever, headaches, joint pain, mild coughing, running nose, and still haven't recovered my smell & taste.
    The later symptom appeared on day 4 with my morning coffee tasting like hot water. I'm currently drinking a beer and I could swear it's S.Pellegrino mineral water :-/

18. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Caught Covid, at the moment everything feels really cold despite my partner telling me it’s roasting, I currently have about 6 infected cavities with exposed nerves which is sending shooting pains from my chin to my ears I also have a banging migraine. I do have a new dentist in which the first appointment available was in September but it’ll be nice to get it all finally sorted.

edit add blurred vision to that list.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Eef, you have my sympathies. Thankfully, Ceri seems to have had it mild - despite the extremely strong test result - and is already feeling a lot better. I was feeling crap yesterday, but I'm still testing negative so it could have just been one of my regularly scheduled migraines.

Hope you and Weekly recover soon!

20. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

At first the jokes about the wife finally being quiet start but the realism of how worse it gets when a wife isn't heard show.
    You got this dude!

MadGinga likes this.