1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Looking at a virtual weather radar, all the Nordic anger is concentrated on Devon & Cornwall right now.

adidan likes this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

3. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

adidan likes this.
  4. adidan

These sorts of sites make me feel like I'm just being informed and not just wasting my time looking at random pretty moving images when I should be doing something more constructive.

I mean, what's more constructive? :happy:

5. Almightyrastus

These things are actually kinda constructive for me. I work in lightning protection so having these sorts of things that are showing the activity around the world, and a few others that show things like expected strike density are incredibly useful in determining the lightning protection requirements of a building - something that needs to be done as each system is designed bespoke to that building.

IanW and adidan like this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

[Angry Welsh noises intensify...]

Finally somone gets it! Someone give @DeadP1xels a cookie Welsh cake! :lol:

IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

[​IMG]

IanW, Isitari and Byron C like this.
  8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

In my defence, I only had Google Translate to go on…

Byron C likes this.
  9. adidan

Well I can see why it'd be useful to you then!

Now I imagine you going to work in a personal Faraday cage.

IanW and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  10. Mr_Mistoffelees

A steel bodied car functions as a Faraday cage.

IanW likes this.
  11. Almightyrastus

From one to another to another. House is reinforced concrete, then car (as mentioned) then to an office that is steel framed with brick infil and has an external system on it along with a proper showcase level of surge protection.

IanW likes this.
  12. adidan

I guess if your car is in the house and parking is inside at work you can be faradayed all day long :)

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

So that's what the chainmail y-fronts are for! :naughty:

adidan likes this.
  14. adidan

I guess, but that ain't what I use them for :happy:

Mr_Mistoffelees and IanW like this.
  15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This...

... is now at 19% of target and I haven't even started yet. Have posted a thread with full details...

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Best of luck with it...

Byron C likes this.
  17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

So a month ago I was approaching 18 stone. Well, not approaching, I was.

Since my knees all but gave up I have been struggling. So I went to the doc and got that diagnosed, now I need further appointments etc. But the main point was getting pain medication. So I can go about my day without feeling like someone smashed me in the knees with a hammer at the end of it. And that has been a life changer. Amazing.

Any way, I thought about the weight situation a bit. I am not big on eating or food, as daft as that sounds. Before I got really fat I was always 13st or under. And it wasn't because of age, as I was still at that weight at 38. The problem has been anti psychotics. Like, heavy brain meds. Whilst I am not blaming them for all of the weight I am carrying now I will blame them for making me feel like I have not eaten for a month every god damned time I swallow them. I go through the day without eating anything. At all. I feel sick every morning, and even if I ate a meal it would be gone 8pm. Like I said, I am not big on food at all. Have always taken or left it. Any way, so I would eat my dinner at 8. Then at around midnight to 1am I would take these anti psychotics (so I don't have any more bad falls, they proper mess you up) and a sleeping tablet. Within 30 minutes? I would be starving. It is proper horrible.

So then I would "just make a sandwich" and then eat four bars of chocolate, and two or three bags of crisps, and whatever the hell else I could get my hands on. And that is why I was 5st overweight. All because of that.

So as F-ed up as it has been? I just stopped eating my dinner. I then put my dinner in the oven, and with 20 mins to go I take the pills. I then eat my dinner, and a piece of fruit, and go to bed.

1.5 stone gone in less than 3 weeks.

It will probably take a lot longer to get the rest off, but yeah as messed up as the daily plan is I shall be sticking to it. Being autistic was always going to fly in the face of convention, so I just needed to find a daily plan that worked.

Am going to start riding again next week now I am on these painkillers. No ramps or parks, so I built a flatland bike.

18. Almightyrastus

Finally got the work started on our new boiler / heating system conversion (going from timed boiler and hot tank to combi). Today was ripping out all the old stuff so the old boiler came out with its HUGE cast iron heat exchanger, the thing weighed a ton, much to the appreciation of the local scrap guy, kinda made a new friend there...

Out came the old hot tank, now that was one serious lump of copper and the plumber hid that in his van straight away, keeps his costs down a little when he can trade something like that in and it got it off my drive so all good, glad for him to have it. Tomorrow begins the installation work, boiler is going upstairs in an old built in wardrobe that was connected to the airing cupboard so all the pipes line up nicely.

However, and this is a big however, he did find a gas leak in the old steel gas pipe that goes under the concrete slab foundation... so we currently have the whole gas system isolated and he is going to have to run a new pipe to the kitchen. Extra expense, but shouldn't be too much as he will just T off the new pipe that is going around the back for the boiler. On the plus side we have great standing gas pressure at almost 22mbar so the new boiler will be all sorts of happy.

Really looking forward to having hot water again, it has been over a month of boiling the kettle when needed, and we are going to be having a one of the current Nest learning thermostats on the new heating system along with thermostatic valves on the radiators, should make for a much more efficient system, especially when the gas leak is all sorted out as well, god knows how much gas we have been "using" over the years....

19. Mr_Mistoffelees

Yesterday evening a little, smaller than my little fingers, common lizard appeared in our living room. No picture because I had to take it outside quickly to stop the cat or dog catching it.

Arboreal likes this.
  20. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

You may find the cat is actually what brought it in for you to play with.

IanW likes this.