1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How I'm dealing with Throat Cancer

Discussion in 'General' started by Big Elf, 17 Jul 2023.

1. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Updated

IanW, Weekly_Estimate and Vault-Tec like this.
  2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

You kinda get the feeling the nurse, upon hearing you were going to use Boots, has seen it before. Good on them getting you sorted. My goodness, the team you've got looking after you are proving their worth in spades. Hope you're coping with the pain ok or at least the medication is helping.

Big Elf likes this.
  3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Really sorry to hear this mate. On top of everything else, you've been dealt a bad hand with subpar healthcare; it always blows my mind that some GPs can be so utterly rubbish at their job. I really hope that the standard of care improves as your treatment continues.

Big Elf likes this.
  4. Big Elf

Fortunately it's very few people who've let me down. If I hadn't persisted though by seeing a private ENT Consultant it could easily have spread. The Consultant congratulated me on the self diagnosis :grin:

Some people have what I have but in a slightly different place that isn't always painful so can go undetected for a long time which is why this type of cancer has a very poor prognosis (16% survival rate after 5 years) plus it's in a difficult area to treat.

I've updated the main thread with the latest from the Dentist.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

FWIW we're still here with you mate willing you on, just have to keep that end goal in your mind's eye while dealing with what sounds like absolute shite.

6. Big Elf

Updated main thread with the Chemo results from yesterday.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Sorry to hear about the ball ache dude. Still praying for you, so hang in there.

I deal with the NHS as little as possible. They are supposed to help me, but end up making my mental problems a thousand times worse.

Big Elf and Weekly_Estimate like this.
  8. Big Elf

I've phoned the Oncologists receptionist and left a message for a return call, dropped off a letter at Oncology Reception today and one of the Radiologists is going to phone him for me as well. I should get an answer as to whether continuing to go if they can't treat me at the right time is of any benefit. I know I've been in Radiotherapy and every now and then people coming from Chemo jump the queue to get treated immediately.

9. Big Elf

Updated the 1st thread.

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Mate sounds like a proper shitter. There's no doctors because they all have their own private clinic so only do half their time with NHS. Government doesn't seem to care that doctors and nurses are leaving in droves. Probably because they pay themselves enough to go private, or claim it on expenses. Total bollocks.

I also think it's ****ing ridiculous that they rely on postal mail. They all have email addresses, just email the **** where it needs to go! I didn't get my lidocaine patches for 6months because the prescription letter was sent to my old gp practice, one that I hadn't attended in 5 years, and they decided not to do a dam thing with the letters. Didn't think to forward them to the current surgery or make a note on my records or anything. Absolute piss take.

I also had a letter a while back telling me that because I'd missed 2 acupuncture appointments they were cancelling the treatment. I had no idea what they're on about as I'd not received any appointment letters and wasn't meant to be getting acupuncture, certainly wouldn't want it either. Apparently it was requested by the pain team with my last appointment with them, which would have been November 21, nearly 2 years ago. I recall them discussing it but said I didn't want it as I really don't want anything else being pocked in me. Last time I did it only made things worse.

Sorry, rant over. Radiotherapy is almost done, you're nearly there, and i'm really glad they've been able to get you adequate pain relief. Hopefully you'll be out of this nightmare soon

Big Elf likes this.
  11. Big Elf

Updated with unexpected side effect.

12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've been reading all your updates dude, you're handling all this brilliantly; I'm imaging a sort of Tuco Ramirez look?

Big Elf likes this.
  13. Big Elf

That's a better look than Zapata plus he was sort of cool.

14. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I was hoping you got super powers, or at least grew 2".

I guess the VHS era smut 'tash is a reasonable compromise.

Big Elf likes this.
  15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Mang you call that a down side? where do I sign up?

Imagine never having to shave again *sigh* I mean I literally spent hours today shaving my head, face, and taking the clippers to my hairy old self.

:D

Still, chicks dig a John Holmes :D

Big Elf likes this.
  16. Big Elf

Update, Radiotherapy treatment finished.

I've decided to go for the Tom Selleck look (without the Ferrari and possibly the hair)

17. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Good stuff :thumb:

The radiotherapy that is, I hope you're not wearing a Hawaiian shirt.

Big Elf likes this.
  18. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Another benefit, being cooked at gas mark 11 could give you a nice tan.
    Nice one with the bell ringing, it must have felt like a relief!

Big Elf likes this.
  19. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Stay strong mate, all the best :)

Big Elf likes this.
  20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I only just noticed this thread (having been distracted with a move to rural France and settling in a farmhouse that needs a lot of work...). I am very sorry to hear about your plight, Big Elf. Throat cancer is a special bitch because of the location and treatment side-effects...

I am officially retired as an NHS cancer psychologist now, but if you want to talk, please PM me (of course confidentiality applies)!