1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Social media, what do you use?

Discussion in 'General' started by SuperHans123, 11 Feb 2024.

1. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I obviously frequent this site, read a lot and post occasionally.
    I also go on the Swansea City FC forum but only read there.

And I think that is it pretty much.
    I ditched FB and Twatter many moons ago and miss neither.
    What do you do vis a vi social media?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Left Twitter when Pedo Guy was forced to buy it, never had Facebook. Used Diaspora a little back in the day, and Usenet before that.

These days I'm here, on Mastodon, read-only on Lemmy - it's amazing how many time-wasting arguments I avoid by not having an account - and a small IRC channel. That's about it.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Here, Reddit, Youtube, Facebook, and Linkedin. I have time controls for Reddit and FB on my phone, I don't use them on my PC, some weird qwerk of personality allows me to easily avoid that at least! I've finally trained myself to not get flamed and baited by comments, at least there's some personal growth!

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Mostly Reddit and Bluesky.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Bookface and twatter for those who stubbornly wont move [or who 'moved' but still only post on bookface and twatter].

BlueSky is mostly people who said 'i'm off to BlueSky' and then continued to post on twatter.

Mastodon is one of the places where al the ****nuts who got banned from twatter went before melon started letting them back on.

Reddit is 4chan with pretend table manners

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what Linkedin is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Threads. Exists I guess.

But I've always been an anti-social social media user. I've probably cost them all more in bandwidth than they've made off of harvesting what little data they get from me.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

A few forums - mainly tech forums.

No Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc... I don't even use discord.

Someone actually tried to argue that, without keeping up to date on Twitter and Facebook, I must be incredibly ill-informed. I didn't have the time or energy for a lengthy response, but she didn't appreciate it when I laughed at her and walked away.

adidan, BeauchN, Big Elf and 2 others like this.
  7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I technically have Facebook, last update 2011.
    I technically have Twitter, at least my account is still there.
    Youtube, a lot.

I... mooch about on here.

I miss when Social Media was actually social and fun, instead of the mess of scam ads and Alt Right lunacy it's become. Having MSN back and locked in 2004 mode would be nice.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've never had a mainstream social media account like Facebook or Twitter, they didn't appeal. I'm on here, and the Land Rover forums (previously BMW forums and Alfa Romeo). I'm also on a small forum with about 30 members, that is a spin-off from another forum, which was a spin-off from another forum, which was a spin-off from another forum :eeek:

I'm glad Bit-Tech is still up and running, so many of these things disappear and then they're gone. Were the server to implode tomorrow I'd have no way to speak to any of you ever again?

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Bit-tech forums and Discord, daily.
    I don't really participate on any other Discord servers.
    I have Instagram, but I've uninstalled the app, so I "only" check it once a day or every other day.
    I let YouTube suggestions guide me (ish). It's usually stuff I enjoy like tech, cars and DIY and it's not as forceful as other "social media," you can pick what you want to watch (as long as it's not shorts).
    I've had Facebook, mostly for marketplace, got rid of it when I left the US.
    I've had Twitter, got rid of it because Melon is a prick.
    I've had mastodon, quickly got fed up with the complexity that came with communicating within the fediverse.
    I have LinkedIn and I have a very healthy hatred and disdain for everything it represents.

10. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

A good reply to that would have been “I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you”

I’ve recently got rid of Facebook, have Instagram for business purposes but post on it maybe once or thrice a year. Don’t use anything else.

11. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Use Twatter just a little and have an "active" Farcebook account, not updated in several years. Did setup a Mastodon account but, never posted and don't remember my username... Two Forums, this and WhatHiFi. Nothing else, I don't even login when on YouTube.

12. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I remember someone semi-famous was getting a lot of abuse on Twitter, can't recall who it was now.

Just prior to ditching Twitter, they posted something along the lines of 'what is it for?'
    Think it may have been Reece Dinsdale a few years back.

And I suppose when you really think about it, it is just a giant waste of your time for zero return or value asides from raising your blood pressure.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2024
  13. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Facebook for memes, bands and keeping contact with people I camp with at Festivals / meet at gigs
    Instagram but don't post or really follow anyone
    LinkedIn so I can look be more "connected with my global colleagues"
    Bit-Tech is really the last forum I use

When I wiped all likes and follows in Facebook and chose what I wanted was such a refreshing time

[​IMG]

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Facebook for anything happening in the neighbourhood, usually dogs doing things on other peoples lawns or chancers checking cars to see if they've been left unlocked, lost pets and dad jokes.
    Only use Twitter rarely to get in touch with companies.
    All the Youtubes. Through Brave.
    Instagram quite regularly.
    WhatsApp quite regularly.
    FB Messenger to keep in touch with family.
    Reddit every day.
    At home, I have Adguard Home running on a RPi and it blocks about a quarter of the total traffic from a household full of connected devices, blocked every service that's not used and added a load of dns blocklists.

15. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I don't use Twatter/X/Whatever it's called today, never have done.
    I used to be on FarceBook, but ditched it years ago when I realised that most people I know were actually right-wing nutjobs.

The only vaguely social platforms I use are this forum and Discord (and that only for bit and the Swansea hackspace groups)

I guess, at heart, I'm just an antisocial bugger - and I'm happy with that :grin:

16. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I find Facebook a lot more pleasant only using it for closed groups. These days I just use it for a few
    gaming groups, and to follow which popup food vendors are at the local pub (it's worth the account to know when Nasi Lemak are doing food).

Twitter, just for reading FessHole. Though the best ones are in the B3ta newsletter.

Discord for two tabletop/rpg gaming groups of friends. The bigger servers I'm in are all muted.

WhatsApp is my main messaging app, so that's used all the time.

Recently started using wylder, which is just photos of nature (you get one photo challenge every day), without the distraction of messaging/chat/multiple likes.

Goodreads only for tracking what I've read.

YouTube, generally looking for tutorials of how to do stuff. Not engaging.

Basically, limiting the social part to only people I both know and like improves any social network massively. Bit is the only place I willingly interact with anyone I haven't met in real life.

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Hum, is Discord social media or instant messaging app?

Forums: mainly Bit-tech and SpeakEV.
    Frequent consumer, don't usually comment: Youtube, Reddit, NextDoor
    Rarely go on these days: FB, Xitter, LinkedIn
    IM: WhatsApp, WeChat

I only bother writing stuff on hobby forums and messages to people I know in real life. Everything else is very limited.

18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Join the club.

19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Forums, this un and a few motorcycle ones
    Facebook, mostly for family, motorbike stuff and local stuff
    Twitter, not posted on it in years, only keep it around as a way of getting in touch with companies
    Insta, Never post, signed up to follow daughters uni work, now that's all done it gets looked at once every other month or so

20. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Fellow Swansea Bit-Techer here!