1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Dell how I hate you

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by b1g-d0g, 6 Apr 2024.

1. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Hi I've been fighting dell for the past month about my Alienware 32 " 4k oled monitor that I got from Dell, the story so far is when the monitor arrived I was away from home about two weeks, when I got home I started to set up my monitor when I got to taking off the screen protector I gave it a clean with a soft cloth and noticed a very small chip in the screen.
    So I contacted dell customer service and was then told to contact tech support, this confused me as it was the same person from before, they told me that I was out of the 14 day damage return and then told me to buy a new monitor, I was like what the hell so I contacted dell care to start a rma and was told by them they would try and sort it out for me, a few days later I got a email to say I couldn't return it but I may be able to get a replacement, but I had enough of there crap and started a PayPal dispute to see if they could help me, so I've sent them the emails and a picture of the damage, it's so small you would have to look hard to see it and the monitor works fine apart from this.
    PayPal have asked me to get a third party to do a report on the damage this at my cost of course I've sent them a few pictures to show what the screen looks like, I feel like I'm on a losing battle and will end up with this monitor with no warranty.
    Sorry for the long read and the poor grammar but I'm in a bad place right now in need of support.
    Thanks.
    [​IMG]

Lower right side.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2024
    Pete J and adidan like this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Dan's right - it is about 30 days due to something like "distance selling" regs (I think!). However, let me have a word with someone (no promises) and see if there's a different option if you wanted to replace it with the same...? Might be a way to speed this up.

b1g-d0g and adidan like this.
  4. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

I've asked for it to be replaced and they said no,.

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

product is faulty so you have 30 days from when it was purchased or received (whichever is later). Consumer rights act of 2015 very simply states that goods must be of satisfactory quality.

your right to reject is limited to 30 days so don't let them stall. Also put everything in writing, state clearly the fault, any relevant dates and what you would like done. Repair or replacement should also be covered up to 6 months also covered in the consumer rights act

If you have the fob off in writing already then report them to trading standards Reporting to Trading Standards - Citizens Advice. Citizens Advice are a great resource freely available so contact them for any guidance or support if their website isnt enough

Pete J, IanW, adidan and 2 others like this.
  6. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Nice thanks :thumb:

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Also I actually run a local IT repair business and have done independent reports of this type before for insurance claims and such. If you want to Zoom call or send me photos and have me write up a brief letter basically saying "yes he's not gaslighting you, it is in fact damaged, no it's not the kind of damage that would routinely occur during careless unboxing", I am happy to do that. Idk how much weight it'd carry but sometimes merely the name-drop of a third party can help jostle them into taking it seriously.

Byron C, Pete J, javaman and 4 others like this.
  8. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

They just got back to me and refused the claim on this because I didn't send them a third party report, that would of been very kind of you though, thanks.

9. boiled_elephant

javaman's summary above was factually correct, they are legally in the wrong and you have every right to pursue it. If you decide to and if a report would help, hit me up.

javaman, IanW, adidan and 1 other person like this.
  10. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Started a convo :)

11. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Good luck getting it sorted. Give them hell

12. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

seems you cant appeal a dispute when they close it,hows that fair.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Is this dispute with Dell? 'cos if so, you need to skip over 'em and contact your bank for a Section 75 chargeback. That'll wake 'em up.

There are a couple of caveats, mind. First is that Section 75 only applies to goods/services priced over £100 (and below £30,000), which is fine in this case, paid for in part or full on a credit card. If you paid by debit card, it doesn't apply - but many banks offer something similar on debit card transactions too, it's just not called Section 75. If you paid using a credit service like Klarna, you may be SOL, sadly.

The second, and possibly bigger, caveat is that if you bought from Amazon or the like the chargeback is against Amazon and not Dell directly. Amazon does not like chargebacks. There's a non-zero chance they'll nuke your account from orbit. Many retailers are the same. If you bought from Dell directly, though, and this has put you off buying from 'em again, it's less of a problem: who cares if Dell bans you so long as you get your money back?

If a chargeback doesn't work, there's always the Small Claims Track of the County Court. You send a Notice Before Action letter, and if (when) they ignore it you file for a few quid. Chances are very good indeed that Dell will either settle ('cos it's cheaper than attending court) or fail to attend, at which point you get a default judgement (which, if they ignore that too, means you can ask the court to instruct bailiffs...)

14. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

was bought on debit card.

15. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Buy again, send faulty one back as the new one, winner winner.

16. boiled_elephant

The most Chaotic Good thing I've ever heard :D

17. c0nstruct

c0nstruct What's a Dremel?

What appalling customer service, or lack there of!

18. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Sorry bud - I asked my contact, but because there's such a split between the enterprise and consumer services depts, there's nothing they could do. They've been digging for a week, so they gave it a good crack.

I reckon Dean's shout is probably your best bet in this case.

adidan likes this.