1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films IMAX - is it really worth it

Discussion in 'General' started by The_Crapman, 11 Apr 2024.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

To the best of my knowledge, I have never been to an IMAX viewing. Mrs crap is obsessed with seeing civil war at an IMAX, don't know why. It's twice the price to go see it somewhere with IMAX than our local one. Is there a genuine difference, or is it the new 3D?

2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I can't comment on the IMAX bit, but stop being a tight b*****d and treat your missus. She puts up with you after all, it's the least you can do.

3. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

The screen is biglier and the sound is more defined, lends itself well to blockbusters with big set pieces and lots going on. If it's a movie she's been looking forward to for a while it's worth the little extra.

I can't wait to see Civil War and it's one of the few films this year I'll be seeing in IMAX, love a bit of Alex Garland.

Cookie Monster's right here, it's a very small hill to die on!

Pete J, LennyRhys and The_Crapman like this.
  4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Nah it's not the new 3-D, it's the old Imax.
    Some films I've seen on Imax (Avatar, Dark Knight, Pixar) were trully incredible and amazing. Others were just the same image on a bigger screen and looked smudgy, it really depends on whether the movie has been filmed in a suitable format for Imax whether it works or not.

I'm sure it'll be fine, just get seats in the middle or at the back, being on the edge of an Imax sucks.

IanW and The_Crapman like this.
  5. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Especially sitting right at the front. You’ll end up with a crick in your neck.

6. The_Crapman

Yeh it's not often we go the cinema either. Grabbed us some great seats

Attached Files:

Pete J, Weekly_Estimate and Vault-Tec like this.
  7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I watched Civil War on IMAX a few years ago :p ......
    Marvel's Cap American Civil War
    Not only the screen size, I think the sound is also more immersive. It's worth a go for films that you know will be epic.

LennyRhys and The_Crapman like this.
  8. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Both my daughters love it.

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Oh yes, IMAX is a lovely experience.

10. The_Crapman

Film was great, IMAX was worth it. Feeling the explosions and heavy weapons fire was pretty intense. I got way to excited when
    An Apache gunship game strolling into a fire fight and started ****ing everyone and everything.

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just an addition to this, apparently the Cardif IMAX is really bad, the sound quality is all wrong.

12. jsbombjack

jsbombjack Minimodder

Mad Max Fury Road on IMAX was just epic. For the right movie it's definitely a good thing.

3D and that 4DX crap can go do one though

13. c0nstruct

c0nstruct What's a Dremel?

Do you find less loud/annoying people goto an IMAX due to the price difference/rarity of them?

14. jsbombjack

jsbombjack Minimodder

When I go to my local world-of-cine, I am rarely with many people regardless of whether it's IMAX or not. I have had their unlimited card for years, and go at least twice a month to get my return on it, so an empty cinema is always nice.

c0nstruct likes this.
  15. c0nstruct

c0nstruct What's a Dremel?

Decent, I haven't been in years TBH. I'm struggling to think what the last thing I saw was!

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Just to nerd out for a while, not all IMAX are the same animal - there are 3 or 4 different projection types, some of which really aren't great, and the sound differs as well (although they're all awesome).

I went to see Dune II in our local IMAX which has the rubbish digital projector setup, but the sound was so loud it was moving the screen :D Flip to the fancy one at the Printworks (one of only 3 in the UK with the best setup) and it was a totally different experience.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've only ever been to the one at the Media Museum here in Bradford - dunno what type that is.

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm not sure either as it's not on the helpful list of IMAX venues: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMAX_venues

Interestingly I'm also incorrect that there's only 3 in the UK with the laser setup, as the Sheffield one has it too now. Good news for Northern film fans.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Apparently it was the first permanent IMAX installation in Europe, but it doesn't say much about the upgrades since - only that there are now two projectors for 3D films and that audio comes from a DVD playback system "through 11,600 watts of amplification."

Oh, wait, Dick's clarified in a comment: as of 2014, at least, it was still running the original 70mm projector(s). "Unfortunately many of the feature length films currently released in IMAX are only available for digital systems so we have not been able to screen recent titles such as Captain America : The Winter Soldier, Godzilla or Edge of Tomorrow."

This from 2023 discusses the major refit in 2015 and suggests it included a digital projector upgrade: "Today a digital projector is used, and blockbusters like Top Gun: Maverick and James Bond: No Time to Die have sequences filmed specially for IMAX, fitting more action onto the screen."

Yeah, 2015 included a digital upgrade - so whatever was state-of-the-IMAX-art in 2015 is what's in there now!

20. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Went to see Dune 2 a couple weeks ago on IMAX - worth it totally. This was Odeon Silverlink Newcastle.