1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Altron's Christmas Modding Adventures A small, cold, weak, and pathetic update 3/10

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Altron, 22 Dec 2003.

1. kidron

kidron What's a Dremel?

lol
    im waiting for your update altron, and those pictures you have promised, if you dont post them ill be waiting outside your house with a hammer :worried:

2. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Well I found out what was causing my problem... the new red rounded IDE cables fell apart. I pulled one off my hard drive, the cable out but the 40 pin connector was still in the drive :lol:

At the moment I still have 2 channel headphones. Mine are wired up with wires inside for the extra channels. What I will do is take two earbud-style speakers and mount them inside the headphones.

Now that my machine works, ON WITH THE MODDING!
    :rock:

3. Altron

Altron Minimodder

THE PICTURES ARE HERE

Finally, an update!

[​IMG]

This is the opened CD-RW. You can see the wires I added. It was terrifiying soldering such small pieces.

If anyone has hjad problems with pics (I believe a few people have) I am sorry, I have a free picture hosting site that isn't always reliable. Soon I will have my own hosting (Just in time too, I'm nearly out of bandwidth on the free account.) which will mean AS MANY PICTURES AS ANYONE WOULD WANT TO SEE!!!

:rock:

4. kidron

kidron What's a Dremel?

what are those wires for? you changed the position of the activity led and the open/close-tray switch?

i always wanted to do that, but im too lazy

pd: you can always host your pics for free at http://uploadit.org

on with the modding !! :rock:

5. Altron

Altron Minimodder

it's actually a bi-color LED...
    THe 4 wires are as follows
    Tray Eject
    LED Cathode 1 (or maybe Anode, the positive one)
    LED Cathode 2 (^)
    Ground

I will wire up some green LEDs and some switches. They will probably go in the 3.5" drive bays on a piece of plexi.

6. a9on87

a9on87 ...

I recently rewired my cd drives open/close switch when I stealthed my drives - I've only done one atm tho - lazy :rolleyes: ::See the link to my project log in my sig

7. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Another update

I installed some nice silver binding posts on my reciever (instead of old rca plugs)
    I put it all in the project box, then I added in a nifty 3 prong plug for it, which also goes through part of the project box.

Then I duct taped the lot of it.

[​IMG]

Thanks to kidron for directing me to a GOOD pic hosting service
    :thumb:

8. Fraggster

Fraggster What's a Dremel?

I dont think you can use multiple pci cards. i tried on serveral computers and it doesnt boot or anything, now if you have a agp card with vga and dvi out put and a pci card with the same, some adapters and ...........*runs off to newegg to order parts* :naughty:

9. Altron

Altron Minimodder

With 1 AGP and 2 PCI video cards my computer starts to act funny... when it boots there is blue screen with black box in the middle. With my recent addition of a FTP server to my computer arsenel, my third monitor will be used for that. Thus I will be able to browse the internet or do chat on the ftp server whilst plaiyng a game or watching a movie on the main machine.

10. Altron

Altron Minimodder

update

More modding fun

Today I wired up the speaker box from my last update to the speaker connectors from the first update, using some nice wire. It is 16ga copper, 2 strands, and it is in a very nice looking black jacket. The wire is very flexible and I reccomend it. It's Carol SJ Power Cable from www.partsexpress.com

[​IMG]

11. KRASH

KRASH What's a Dremel?

This dude cracks me up............or is it makes me smoke crack!
    this is my kind of modding project!

will have to subscribe to this one!

12. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 What's a Dremel?

That cause is made by TTGI. Do a Google. Very nice case, if I may say so myself...

13. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

lol, Altron, your pics service is not t3h l337...

I can give you some bandwidth, send me an email or IM me

I want to see your maddness!

14. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Well sorry I haven't updated in awhile, my machine want all bad on me. Instead of yelling at it then curling up into a ball and crying I decided to try being nice to it so I bought SEXAH NOO Western Digital 8GB Hard drive with the lurvely 8mb cache and a CD-RW (My machine has two CD-RWs in it :lol: it was cheaper than a CD ROM)

Last sunday I woke up very very very early (before 10:00AM!!!) to go raid the OfficeMax sales. I got the hard drive for $40 and the CD-ROM for $10. Then I got free keyboard, mouse, mousepad, phone, CD-RWs, and CLEAR DUCT TAPE. WOOT!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

So now the machine is running fine just need to find my Windows CD in the morass of CDs, books, boxes, and assorted hardware that makes up my basement.

I'll take some pics soon :D

15. Altron

Altron Minimodder

The computer I am on now is T3H S3RV3R!!
    That means it's a P-2 that can barely run Windows 2000 Advanced Server and has no usb ports to put cameras in. So out with t3h p41nt!

ftp://ftpserver01.servebeer.com/

username bitpics
    password 1337

I think that should get you into the picture directory :hip:

ph34r m3h 1337 s3rv3r!!!

w00t.jpg is the picture of my comps, diagram.jpg is a "future project" that will be in this project log eventually ;) and flol.jpg is rather amusing.

16. kidron

kidron What's a Dremel?

oh man, you got really nice deals where you live.. did you really got all those things for free? (if yes) how did that happen? :jawdrop:

the pics are still downloading, 1~MB pics ¬¬ not so nice..

ok, diagram.bmp just downloaded.. what is your plan on that project?

(download w00t.bmp, hope its that nice for a mega haha)
    ================

mmm it would be nice to have at least one of your m0hnit4rz, i got a 17" maxtech, its nice, but people always wants more :p

keep your modding adventure up ! =)

17. Altron

Altron Minimodder

The nearby stores have sunday morning sales where they will take a cheap item, give it a mail in rebate, then make it free. It gets people into the store.

I suppose I should have saved them as jpegs... :lol:

I am considerin the one in diagram.bmp to use as a mixer (amatuer DJing :rock:) although that would be soldering very many very small things and I don't know how well it would work.

Or I could buy one of the lower end real mixers such as this - http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=248-602

All considered, buying one is probably a better idea. I have a habit of getting bored soldering and never finishing things. Thus I like to keep my projects small.

However I will still try to make a headphone box. My plan is to use 4 pin Mini DIN (aka S-Video) plugs to wire my headphones with (one for the speakers, one for the microphone). then the box will have various RCA and 1/4" outputs, maybe even some XLR depending on what mic input the mixer has.

This post probably belongs more in Audio Visual than anywhere else, my project log is mostly about wires and my stereo and whatnot :hehe:

I think i've done most of the stuff I wanted to, except for case modding and a bit more sound modding.

As a rather funny contrary to most people's desktops, every single item on my desktop except for my case is beige :brrr: and even on my case the CD ROMs are beige.

However eventually I'll grb a piece of arcrylic and some mesh and do some 1337 m0dding.

I have not much time for modding on weekdays, but on weekends I can usually get something done. My parents have been remodeling the kitchen since august (we're one of those hardcore DIY families that does all their home improvemnt by them selves, although I must admit we had guys come install Granite countertops and will have people install the floor, but we did all the painting and cabinents) so that's taken up a lot of weekendage recently. This weekend I will be going to the Naval Academy for a boy scout campout, but on Martin Luther Kings B-Day I'll do some m0d. The following weekend I don't think I have anything planned (besides spending like 6 hours studying for CompTIA Net+, that gives me 42 hours to EAT, SLEEP, and MOD.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2004
  18. Altron

Altron Minimodder

As a pic-less (for the moment) update, I've finally cleaned the damn room and I moved the computer table.

I also isntalled some new hardware.

More soon

19. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

subscribed

Looking 1337... well, what I can see of it. Your image hosting is t3h 5u><0r...

20. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Upload-It changed their software since I uplaoded those...

I'm planning on doing two more things - HTPC and a audio mixer.

I'll start with the HTPC.

Tomarrow I'm buying a PII-333 system. I plan on putitng in a CD-ROM and a 30GB hard drive, in a small cusotm built chasis. I will probably integrate the mixer into it.