1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide <- TUTORIAL -> How to invert an LCD Screen !!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by samtech, 26 Dec 2002.

1. samtech

samtech What's a Dremel?

/Edit- Moved to Mod Guides Forum -ZapWizard

ACKNOWLEDGMENT - THIS PROCESS BREAKS ANY GUARANTEE THAT YOUR LCD MAY HAVE, THEREFORE IF DAMAGING I DONE I DON'T HAVE ANY RESPONSIBILITY ON THIS, SO TRY ONLY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

1º step

With the LCD in top of a secure table, repair at the metal frame that protects and secures the LCD is imprisoned to the PCB with the Chips with some small metal clips folded, is necessary to put them right with the help of a small pliers in order to be as they are showed in the pics.

1ª pic - In this pic can be seen lcd of the behind part, the small metal clips that I speak in the case of this LCD are indicated in image.

[​IMG]

They must of being folded as below in order to be well right.

[​IMG]

In the end of this process our LCD must be with the small metal clips all as pic below.

[​IMG]

2º step

Until now was easy , now comes the most delicate part ,to remove the metal frame and to remove the polarizer that is glued in the superficie of the LCD, this process must be made with very well-taken care in order to not damage the LCD nor warping the frame or small metal clips , therefore this would result in an imperfection of the consequent support and for bad contacts.

-- Removing the frame --
    With the fingers in the small metal clips, now push them in the direction of the LCD along body of the LCD uniformly in order to dislocate the frame, till the small metal clips will be at the surface of the PCB.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has to have be taken care in order not to force very much the suface or you can brake the LCD!

If everything ran well until here after removing the frame well , you must have something of this type.

[​IMG]

Now comes the most delicate part , to remove the polarizer of the LCD, (Please have attention the position where was the LCD previously in order that when you mount it, the characters are in the right places )remove this pelicule with a xizato or a sharp knife.

[​IMG]

After the previous step place the xizato gently betenw the polarizer and the LCD , to be able to raise it a litle for you to be able to grab it with your thingers and pull it gently till it come right

[​IMG]

Pulling the Polarizer:

[​IMG]

When you have polarizer unglued from the LCD, it has that to be clean very well in order to remove the glue that was under it, this can be made with a cotton absorbed in alcool in order not to scratch out the surface of the LCD, in case there are any residues of glue in the LCD, they can be removed by the same process efectuated in the polarizer

After this verify if the orientation of polarizer, that in the case of your LCD it is with the old color off the characters (in this case black or blue ) (inverted) and the characters passed to be of the color of the old backgound color (blue), in some rare situations are some LCD companie tha is requeires to buy somo polarizer sheets due to the original ones only make the desired efect by being rotated by 90º .

[​IMG]

Example of an new Polarizer sheet .

[​IMG]

Well , if all went great tiil here lest pray to all the siant to our LCD to go on roling ,and there are no leftover parts after asembling it again :lol: :lol:

[​IMG]

For that put the polarizer sheet in the correct orientation acording to you LCD , and then fix it with a bit of scotch tape (glue tape) in the extrermes of the LCD so it doesn't moves in the mounting process.

Polarizer put in the correct position.
    [​IMG]

Polarizer fixed with a bit of scotch tape.

[​IMG]

Aliging the LCD in the corect position in the board.

[​IMG]

Mounting the protective frame again , don't forget to tight th metal clips has they were originaly in the LCD.

[​IMG]

If all whent well your final result should be something like this
    [​IMG]

hope you are lucky to make your own ;)

Any doubt's or suggention's , please be free to post them

Sorry for the bad English but i'm portuguese :D

Samtech

2. samtech

samtech What's a Dremel?

By the way , I have e real problem here in Portugal , i just can't find any place where i cau buy the polarizer screen , if someone know where i can buy this please aoutside Portugal please tell me , the piece i got was from an old malfunctiioning LCD :idea:

Samtech

3. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

Nice guide, excellent pictures as well.

4. criminally insane

criminally insane What's a Dremel?

samtech what LCD is that?

i might purchase one :)

5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Hey, its better than some people who have it as their first language :D

Sweet LCD btw

6. Lightning

Lightning What's a Dremel?

WOW! great guide! i was just looking for how to do this too, nice timing :D

7. Deymos

Deymos What's a Dremel?

Nice guide and Lcd.
    How much did u pay for it?

8. samtech

samtech What's a Dremel?

Thanks people ;)
    The LCD is a grafical model from Datainternational , the exact model is DG-12864-19 , this LCD needs some extra part to work out , namely somo extra negative voltages , that i put on the external power supply

As for the price i don't realy know the real price ,this was a friend here in portugal who managed some of these to me , i only payed a very litle part of the real price :D for some of these in cristalfontz they sell come look a like with these with the KS01098 controler as weel for about 30 € , but whata realy bother's me you you there are the shiping cost's that make it realy expensive , they are almost the price of the LCD :sigh: .

This LCD will be part of a project for an External LCD bay , that will have an USB Hub , and a grafical equalizer that will be striped out of an old Hi-fi:D

SAmtech

Miku likes this.
  9. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

Really nice guide... Thinking about inverting mine now...:clap:

10. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

This is a good guide, and deserves to not be buried in time...
    ...Moved to the Mod Guides Forum

11. dakar

dakar What's a Dremel?

Whats probably going to sound like a silly question here... But does it make a difference on what side the original polarizing film is/was on to the final results? ie... my HP LJ4 printer (see disaster mods) 'had' film on the back side of the LCD (it was tinted a sickly yellow color so that when i changed the leds backlighting made for a sickly green color so it went away).

But now to invert it (or even repair it so the displayed stuff on the lcd can be seen) will i have to put the film on the backside of the lcd as origanlly or can i just lay it over the front?

I'm still waiting on an order to come on with the new film to effect repairs. So this may save some time and aggrivation later, as it seems my order is being shipping via a slow row-boat.

12. Cifer

Cifer What's a Dremel?

Hi

Hi, nice guide, i have a question, if you change also the backlight led, the defoult one in the LCD guide should be yellow/green, with a white or blue you can get respectly white text/light blue screen and yellow text/dark blu screen?

Is this right?

Last edited: 18 Apr 2003
  13. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Yes, but normally the backlight LED's are the small (2x3mm) surface mount type and these are hard to change unless you have the correct tip for your soldering iron (and a steady hand helps too :D)

14. Cifer

Cifer What's a Dremel?

Ok, thx, i will try...if i will find the same size led white or blu.

15. Darkside

Darkside What's a Dremel?

That's a great guide and a nice lcd, well done on that, and the pictures are top quality too :)

If you need only a few of the SMT leds, it may be worth trying www.bluled.co.uk for them.

The bloke is honest and reliable, and will try his best to match leds to whatever you specify.

Not the cheapest in the world, but good service and support is worth a few bob extra IMHO.

Maybe this helps, maybe not......

Darkside.

[edit] I got the leds to modify my nokia 8210 from him, and would happily use again [/edit]

16. Sir Overclock

Sir Overclock What's a Dremel?

Many thanks... will add this to my ever growing list of ideas...

17. Evilhue

Evilhue What's a Dremel?

Nice guide. I'll definately have to do that when I get an LCD.

18. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

so basically, you take the film off and flip it over? i got a stereo with a bright blue screen and black letters, i'd prefer black w/ blue letters. thats if i can't make it black w/ red letters. cooool :rock:

19. -SilentNight-

-SilentNight- Hardcore pro gamer

want that too!!!

20. TymII

TymII What's a Dremel?

SAme LCD

Man I have that exact same LCD, can you please tell me how you control it?

Tags: