1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Metaversa: LCD goodness (small update 17/07/05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 11 Apr 2003.

1. FrOsTy666

FrOsTy666 What's a Dremel?

Great Job Nexxo!!! Its rock :rock:

Im am looking to start my first Mod and when i saw this reservoir i just want it :D

But i just find it on this site: On This Site

But i find a little bug, all my watercooling system will be on 1/2" (tube and barbs) and they just sell 1/4" or 1/8" (Link Here ). So i want to know what kind of barbs you use? and where you buy it?

Thx for your time!

2. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

Noice, I like it

3. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

very nice, still have to read through the full thread but its looking nice from what ive seen

4. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

Nexxo drilled out the stock holes on the Aquatube res' and had them re-threaded so he could fit larger barbs than 1/4 and 1/8.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That's right. I had the holes drilled out to accomodate 3/8" BSP thread (which is 16mm diameter, roughly; the BSP measurement refers to the INSIDE diameter of the barb). You could in theory fit two barbs on the side, but for my particular setup I went for one in the side, and a bigger (3/4") barb in the bottom:

[​IMG]

the new revision Aquatubes on sale now, BTW, have three barb/light holes in the bottom, so you can't just drill a big 3/4" hole ther now. But I'd wager two 3/8" BSP holes would still go.

@ FrOsTy666: Wizard Designs is a UK watercooling shop that will post the Aquatube to overseas buyers (inc. Canada). The shop is due to go online in the coming month or so, but you can also contact Pug (the owner) on this forum, or on the Wizard Designs forum on the above mentioned site.

6. FrOsTy666

Well i need to fit 2x 1/2" (12,5 mm) on the side, because i will fix a UV Light! So i think it will be good!

I gonna have to find my :dremel:

Thx for the help! ;)

7. Nexxo

No probs. keep in mind though that 1/2" barbs refer to their ID. The OD of the thread is larger than the 16mm that will fit on the aquatube. So you need to find 3/8" NPT thread to 1/2" barb fittings. The inside diameter of these should still be constant (around 3/8" would you believe-- even on 1/2" barbs) so you'll be OK.

8. FrOsTy666

OMG Im so confused :confused:

Im using This Tubing , and you say it will fit on This Barb ???????

Hummmmmmm... Ummm not sure i got it!
    I suck :wallbash: :D

9. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Well, you linked to a Imperial hose and a Metric barb, IMHO the best way to go is have either all Imperial or all Metric.

And don't buy the tubing at that site you linked to, it's VERY overpriced. If it was Tygon, then it would be a reasonable price, but it's plain Vinyl. You can buy vinyl tube of that diameter for around $5 at home depot.

I urge against buying stuff from mod shops that is not PC-specific. If you bwant to buy CCFLs and fans mod shops are the place to go, but for stuff like wire and tubing and plexi there are places that have it much cheaper, before you go off and spend a fortune on mod shops look and see what you can find in Home Depot, you'd be surprised how much money you saved.

Sorry 'bout the OT, Nexxo.

10. FrOsTy666

Thx for the tips Altron!

11. Altron

Altron Minimodder

You're welcome.

12. cowkid90

cowkid90 What's a Dremel?

First post

Ooh. Just read through all 29 pages. :yawn: Took a while, but well worth it. Great work man! You really have done some amazing work with this project.

I've been lurking on these forums for a while, and I figured now was as good a time as any to resister, so hi everyone!

13. FourDee

FourDee What's a Dremel?

keep amazing me :thumb:

14. Nexxo

No probs, Altron. As your sig suggests, I just lower my standards! :p :D

And a BIG HI to cowkid90. Welcome to the forums! :clap:

15. Altron

Altron Minimodder

:hehe:

Welcome to Bit-Tech, cowkid90! Where we cut holes in our PCs then often end up breaking them.

16. Maximilium

Maximilium What's a Dremel?

Hi Nexxo, first i have to say excelent job, cant wait to see your project finnish.
    I have to say thanks for all the information you have posted for the last couple of month, i actually got the acuatube res from wizzard designs, great service and it was delivered in 1 week without any trouble, funny thing, looking for stuff on the net i end up looking at this page Link :wallbash: .

I have been reading about the problems with your air vortices on your rig, i had exactly the same problem, i fix it adding another 5 1/4 reservor, and still, the flow of this pump is so great it wont let air acumulate at the acuatube res, it will suck the air back to the system, the second reservor is doing a good job collecting the air, but still once in a while it will suck a buble back in to the system. I am working at this time in solutions to solve this issue (tools are out again) :D

I see that you are going to change your pump and i will like to ask you a question : Did no one out there ever try to use a fuel injection pump before?

My pump also has that hummmm noise, but it didnt had it before i did some last minute work on my pluming (i added L-shape fittings=restriction) just to get it done quick :duh: , (working to fix this problem at this moment).
    Did you ever try to run the pump with 10v DC ?

Laterz ... Max

17. Nexxo

Some site looked into that one, but a fuel injection pump works along very different principles and besides flow being rather weak, it pulses like mad. Which then propagates through the tubing, and the case, and everything until the whole PC jiggles like a bowl of jello and sounds like a hornet in a tin can. Smooth it ain't.

Yup. Still noisy, just a slightly lower pitch. Anyway, it's the MTBF I have most problems with. I could cut the pump down to 6V, at which point it is pretty quiet, and I suspect that would lengthen it's lifespan a bit, but the flow then is far from impressive... I will see how the new one does. This meant making a new bracket BTW, and a new pump clamp, and tapping the new pump's outlet... :sigh: Watch this space...

P.S. I think the Aquatube looks nicer and is of slightly better quality than the Fass reservoir.

18. Maximilium

Maximilium What's a Dremel?

True :D

Any idea how i can regulate the voltage to the pump?

I have been looking for a couple of days now and i found this
    http://electronickits.com/kit/complete/motor/ck1400.htm
    but it has to be build :eyebrow:

19. Fyberwire

Fyberwire What's a Dremel?

Very nice work as always Nexxo!

Be sure to post some pictures of the Davies Craig. I like the project so far, keep it up man, you're getting close to finished!

20. Nexxo

OK, it's been a while, and no update. What gives?

Well, because of the new pump, a new bracket needs to be cut, and pump outlet tapped (back to Steve...), which is currently happening.

Meanwhile, bsodmike has been refining the flow monitoring circuit. It's all on a single PCB now, with one PIC. The thing hooks up to a standard PC molex, and the always-on 5V (hence my PSU mod). It connects to the power LED, the power-on switch, the pump and the flow switch. How it works is this:
    - When the PC is off, the power LED throbs (blue), like in an iMac;
    - When the PC is on, the power LED is on (blue);
    - If the pump fails, the power LED turns red, and the circuit triggers a relay which bridges the power-on switch, thus effecting a controlled shutdown.
    - The circuit also passes 12V on to the pump, whilst incorporating the pump fuse, a capcitor and diode for interference screening. Bsodmike has named this device "Divine Protection". :D Only two prototypes will be made for now, one a special for Metaversa.

Here a pic of the PCB...

[​IMG]

BTW for those who like throbbing LEDs (er... :worried:) bsodmike also has made a simple LED throbber circuit, which will be sold at www.themodhouse.co.uk. he's now working on one where the LED throbs when the PC is off, and is on when the PC is on.

More to follow...