1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fast Betty

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tank Girl, 15 Feb 2004.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Wheyhey! Update! :clap: Like the chrome braiding on the PSU, nicely done. The case is really starting to assume character now. Keep it up!

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Damn, that is awesome, Tank Girl! I like the case, I like it alot! :baby: :hehe: Cant wait to see what system goes into that thing... With all these cool effects, you have GOT to put some red CCs in there... It would look to frikkin cool not too! :hip: :lol: :naughty:

3. Tank Girl

Tank Girl What's a Dremel?

Thanks! Where Do I get metal???

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback! I'm on spring break this week so I have time to play with my Dremel!!! Tomorrow I'll paint the top, and tackle the front panel "on/off, reset switch" situation. The right side panel also needs a fan. SInce I have no room in the top for a fan to blow out, I'm going to put one in the right side panel.
    One thing that urks me though is using acrylic reservoirs. I mean, I go to all this trouble to keep things cool and I store my water in plastic tanks? Where do I purchase metals? I mean, I know if I could get like, a block of aluminum or copper, I could make my own with my trusty Dremel! Yes, I could buy aquatubes..which are far and away "da BOMB' but hell..I've now made my own screws...is a metal reservior that far off?????? :D :D

4. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

youve made your own screws? how?

5. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

Hey, looks good, but just one question, are you going to have the hot air from the case being blown up at your radiator? Cause thats how it looks. Having the radiator at the top of the case is fine. But from my experiences its one of the hottest also, with all the heat from the powersupply, and all the heat from the rest of the comp. Thats why we have blow holes there. THough i could be wrong.

6. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

7. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Plastic is a very good insulator, and air has crap thermal conductivity. An metal res shouldn't have much of an effect on your system temps at all.

8. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

so what, they look so cool being anodized and such :jawdrop:

9. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Yo DUH 87 is absolutely right. Metal makes a horrible insulator, as it easily absorbs and transfers heat ot other things. Plastics and glass are much better at cooling than metal ones are in general. :O

10. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Fast betty's emphasis isnt on looks, its on performance. the metal ones wont work as well, so the acrylic resoviors are a better choice. Not to mention that condensation can build up easier on metals if the water is really cold! :brrr:

11. diehrd

diehrd What's a Dremel?

Congrats on the nice results thus far ! Cant wait to see the final pictures...

12. Tank Girl

Yes, you are correct about the heat at the top, the right side panel will have a 120mm fan blowing air out from the top half of the case. THe top radiator fan will be sucking outside air from underneath the radiator. THe radiator on the outside of the back will also have the fan sucking outside air through the radiator. In the bottom half of the case the two 120's will be blowing out, as well as the PCI slot blower out the back. Hopefully this will suffice, if not, I'll just add fans to the acrylic on the left side panel as well.

13. Tank Girl

How to bend Acrylic!

I thought I'd post this, if it's already in guide somewhere, I missed it! It's a great way of using the scraps left over from acrylic windows. First you get yourself something the size and shape of what you want to make...I chose the handy Margarita glass....cut a strip of acrylic, get your heat gun and you're all set!
    [​IMG]

Next you heat the strip up till it's floppy, and start feeding it around the glass while heating it with the gun.... I used my feet to steady the glass here...I'm sure there are actual "tools" which would accomplish this...
    [​IMG]

Then, let it cool a bit, cut off any excess and you're done!
    [​IMG]

And here's what I did with the circle!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Mar 2004
  14. diehrd

diehrd What's a Dremel?

From what you are listing, there is about 200watts of heat to cool. And a strong pump with a high head combined with 1 radiator that uses 3 inline 120mm fans would cool that system perfectly and make it a lot less trouble to mod, set up, as well as maintain.

Go here and look at the radiator at the bottom http://store.over-clock.com/ThermoChill.html

I am pretty sure it was rated to cool 550watts..Go here for that info"
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles778/index05.asp

I know this is late in the mod and am suggesting you do nothing,I posted this to give you and others an Idea of what you can do with water cooling ideas.

15. Slick13

Slick13 What's a Dremel?

i think its true that glass is the best insulator (double glazing and such like) and if you wanted to go for a nice look and functionality surely there must be somewhere out there that does tinted glass resevoirs??? i'm not to sure bu ti think there is. can't remember for the life of me where though.

as for the case it looks awesome good job on the braided cable sleeves too they look wicked, would be good to some neons reflecting off them giving it a nice icy glow. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

can't wait to get my dremel and start up the modding frenzy on mine soon hopefully, although might get lazy and buy the old prometia mach 2 instead hummmm

good luck with it anyhow, :clap: :clap: :clap:

16. Tank Girl

Roger that guys! THanks for the info, I didn't know that. I just thought since like, water fountains and plumbing are always metal, that meant it kept the water colder. But now that I think about it...the plastic cooler I take to the lake isn't made of metal! THanks! :eek: :idea:

17. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

18. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

You can mod a prometia can you not?

19. Tank Girl

20. Slick13

Slick13 What's a Dremel?

more than likely but after spending all that money on it i'm not sure how likely i am to be to take the old dremel to it straight away, lots of research and coating my brass balls in plentiful coats of steel.

oh and having enough cash in back up to remedy any "hiccups"

:thumb: :clap: