1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project frosty chip - vMods underway!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tim S, 26 Mar 2004.

1. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

it's cos we lub him...

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Schweet :D What sort of clocks are you expecting with this extreme cooling? 2.9-3 gig?
    <off topic> PC world are selling infinities for 63 quid, worth the purchase? <?off topic>

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

:D:D:D:D :hip:

It's going to be a while before I get fully up and running with the infinity because I've got to pluck up the guts to do my list of 6 board mods - alternatively I've had an offer for it to be modded in the states for no labour charge if I cover the costs of it getting there and also for any components.

I'm getting itchy fingers to get the prom running tho, so it'll more than likely end up in my NF7 before too long, heh :D

With the modded infinity I'd like to see 11.5x265 (1:1 2-2-2-11) for benching purposes; for day to day... I'd be happy with anything above 2750/2800Mhz at reasonable front side bus really :)

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

That's it, I now formally apply for the position of Bit-Tech benching and testing type person should some mysterious accident befall bigZ :worried:

5. olv

olv he's so bright

NO, that jobs all MINE i tell ya! ALL MINE! :worried:

6. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

Subscribed.

Been following this one in the background but want to keep upto date with it. defo looking promising. can't wait to see the infinity mods done :thumb:

7. benthekiller

benthekiller What's a Dremel?

wow, nice cooling there, and some bloody low temps, 24/20 :eeek:

so, these 6 mods, pls explain what every single one does :blush:.

oh and didnt u already have an athlon-m 2500?

8. moofmoof

moofmoof What's a Dremel?

hey all, i'm running that same board in my system and its been fine so far except for if i get the bus speed above 195 it blue screens on the windows loading screen. I'm using a 2500 barton (13*195), i wondered if this could be due to me not changing the chipset voltage if so what do you use? I would also like to know what these mods do

9. benthekiller

benthekiller What's a Dremel?

u changed the ram/cpu voltage at all?

10. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Lucky bugga, hope you get some massive clocks :)

'doc

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

The LCD claims -45 to -47'C, but I have doubts about this; I'm unsure of the pressure of the gas in the condensor, but at 21.6 PSI it's only -51'C. I endevour to find this out :)

Under 150W load I reckon it'll be around -5'C at best as far as bios temps go :)

Right, onto the mods....

1. vCore mod
    Seeing as this board only has a max of 2.0v, I want a bit of headroom on this so that I can gain that extra clock speed. I want this to be able to pull 2.1-2.15v

2. vDD mod
    This is essential as I am planning on running high front side bus speeds, it is the voltage to the chipset, I want to get this to around 2.0v

3. vDIMM mod
    Well there is already 3.3v vDIMM on this board as standard... but, seeing as I'm doing every other mod to this board possible, it'd be silly to leave this one out. I'd like to be able to get to around 3.65v for some insane benching ;)

4. vCore drop mod
    This board is quite a candidate for losing a lot of vCore when the processor is loaded, I want to eliminate this down to the bare minimum. So adding a loop that stops the vCore from dropping so much means I can maintain a good vCore without having to "overvolt" to gain stability :)

5. vCore overcurrent mod
    There is a built in OVP on this boards' vCore, which can kick itself in at any time, the idea of this mod is to allow there to be no "limits" to the vCore i choose, I'm not stupid so I'm not going to kill the processor from ridiculous voltage in the short term... so allowing me to eliminate the chance of OVP kicking in, I need this mod.

6. The cap mod
    This mod is well, kinda hard to explain how it works, but it basically adds stability at the high end of the system bus spectrum by eliminating the spikes of current and voltage that will go through the board when it's stressed. They're wired in parallel to the original caps on the board and of the same value.

<edit>I forgot the 7th mod...
    7. L12 pinmod
    This will help the CPU achieve the highest fsb possible by defaulting the processor to 166Mhz :)</edit>

To add to these mods, I've got to increase the cooling on the motherboard.. this is essential with running high voltage through the board. I recommend anyone who attempts to overvolt their board in any shape or form - I cannot stress the importance of cooling!

I've already got a barton M, but I've bought another one with a newer stepping ;)

2500Mhz @ 1.88v prime stable on water... much better than my previous one.

as for the 200Mhz FSB problem, it's a known issue with the DFI boards, check out this thread for a bit of info on it: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32464 :)

edit: uhhh holy long post batman :eeek:

Last edited: 29 Mar 2004
  12. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Punk :(

Anyways, 24c isn't that low of a cpu temp... just wait till he gets the evap on, it should be -20c on max load ;)

My basement = 55F year round (about 13C)... My idle cpu temps are roughly 21-26c, and around 40c MAX load... I think if I had a better (Non stock) heatsink... my cpu load temp would be much lower, providing for a better OC

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

Ordered my bits from farnell this morning, they should be with me tomorrow I guess, if their service levels are anything like they normally are :D

Code:
    Part Num.  Qty.  Availability  Line Price  Description                               
    =========  ====  ============  ==========  ========================================  
    3821407    1     In Stock      3.55        PLASTIC COAT SPRAY, 200ML; Product descr  
    537019     1     In Stock      3.60        SILICONE COMPOUND, DC4 100G; Dielectric   
    3821456    1     In Stock      2.96        COLDKLENE DEGREASER, 200ML; Product desc  

Shipping : £0.00
    Tax      : £1.77
    Total    : £11.88
    Once these bits arrive I can hook the Mach1 up to my NF7-S for some testing :naughty:

14. TMM

TMM Modder

/me can hear the CPU screaming "noo please noooO!!!"
    :D

2.8ghz!?! thats syko. how many volts do you think? 2.2? :eeek:

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Do tell more about this one

16. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Hehe... that prommie spent the best (worst?) part of its life behind my sofa! Glad it's still working, can't wait to see the results :D

Rob.

17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Been reading a bit about the L12 mod, and it doesnt seem to make much sense.
    By setting a default FSB it allows you to push it even further. :confused:

But the guys that have tried it all seemed to get good results.

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yeah, I'm glad it's working too :D

just such a shame that this new mobile blows :waah:

2500Mhz - 1.88v great fully prime stable for over 24hrs

can't get 2600Mhz to sit in windows! even with 2.15v :eeek:

I think this processor has a huge wall at around 2550Mhz cos I can't even get 2570Mhz (my previous day to day speed) stable even with 2.15v, blue screens as soon as I load the processor. :miffed:

Oh well, I'll see what both mobiles do under the prommie and then decide which one to get rid of :)

more info on the L12 mod: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15300
    and more: http://www.geocities.com/trats102002/nf7sFsbsense.html

19. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

That link seems to be dead for me :sigh:

I'm getting a new board and it's between a NF7 & Infinity.

Had decided to go with the infinity but I don't like the look od a 200mhz fsb prob! Am I going to get decent clocks with the DFI without doing a stack of mods that'd probably result in me killing the board?

Sorry to hear that you can't get the speed you wanted out of the new mobile :waah:

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Mar 2004
  20. Tim S

Tim S OG

oops, they changed the location of the forums back to the default place overnight...

add /forums in before showthread.php and I'll fix the link in the post too :)