1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sata HDD - very quick and maybe dumb question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by richtea78, 27 Mar 2004.

1. richtea78

richtea78 Guest

It would appear that Im not the only one who was confused then

Maybe the quiet thing is not a SATA/IDE thing then but lots of places have described these as very quiet

A related question now

What is the advantage of raiding drives? As far as I can tell you connect 2 80GB drives together depending on the raid and get either 1 faster 80gb drive or 1 80gb drive with a complete back up? Is it a lot faster? And is the reliability that big an issue on a home computer - ok a reinstall would be a hassle but I wouldnt lose any important data really - just some saved games and maybe email addys?

2. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

First, you'd only get 1 fast 160GB HD (RAID 0) or 1 80GB HD backed up onto another drive (RAID 1).

I won't comment about performance issues, but I will tell you this: if one drive gets hosed on a RAID 0 array, you'll have to reinstall everything (and get another drive if you want to build another array), but with a RAID 1 array, if you lose one then you're still out 1 drive, but nothing's been destroyed. You can just go back to a single, boring IDE drive setup.

Just some food for thought.

3. Monster63385

Monster63385 What's a Dremel?

My raptor is quiet, but I know that in general they are know as loud drives. Also the drives interface has nothing to do with the noise. Also if you don't have a window you can use dynamat or something like that to quiet the computer down.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Ugh! I'd rather have the noise! I'm not suggesting they're a noisy drive, and certainly not to THAT extent: They're just not silent.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

They must be referring to the rotation noise... which I have to admit, is pretty much inaudible.

That depends what RAID method: The two main ones are mode 0 (striping) and mode 1. Most people on here will be interested in striping. In mode 0, the 2 drives become one big drive who's capacity is equal to both drives... in your 80Gb scenario, you would have one big 160Gb drive. This is the fastest method, but least secure, so back up regularly if using 0.

Mode 1 will use both 80Gb disks as well, but you'll only get a 80Gb drive, as data is mirrored on both drives for security. Not as fast.

for more info.... linkage

6. Michael10642

Michael10642 What's a Dremel?

The quietest drives I know of are the Seagates. 25dBA is still a bit loud, but compared to Maxtor's 30dBA :sigh: The only thing I can hear right now is my Maxtor spinning away while idle.

7. Black92RS

Black92RS What's a Dremel?

Hello I worked on a store where we installed only Seagate barracudas in sata and in pata, all the same verssions but there were an odd batch that where pretty noisy, also I remember that old 7.2rpm Hd if held while turning on you could feel the motor starting up on those drives you could fell nothing.

Also there is a misconception, is not that the intell sata controllers dont need drivers is that windows xp have the drivers already, so you dont need to insert any floppy disk for the os installation to detect the drives or the raid.

If you have a backup of important data use the raid-0 raid 1 is only if you want to have a little peace of mind on 24/7 (and still you need a backup of that critical data, as the raid 1 just garantee "no downtime") you know **** happend.

PD I installed a 200gb maxtor and it was much noisier than the normal seagates (not the odd ones).