1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project U.S.S.R. - Water Cooling Oddity

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Captain Slug, 8 Apr 2004.

1. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

I have been, in a sense, "commissioned" to fabricate this case for a forum member who wants both an extremely unique, but also quiet and outlandish water cooled machine. He came to me with some undeveloped ideas and I used my knack for conceptualizing an idea into a finished plan. Here's what we hashed out over discussion, and several hours of reworking detail features.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Essentially this is a case made to encourage modding to the extreme. The primary case material will be 0.25" sheets of polycarbonate. The most specfic design feature is the round resevoir dominating the center of the case. Red UV dye will be used to intensify the water-cooling appearance, and 2 6" UV cold cathodes will be placed onto the resevoir's forward support arms. As well as two 12" UV cold cathodes in the bottom sides of the case. Add some red UV reactive molex plugs and fans and this machine has gone completely nuclear.
    Both optical drives are in the top of the case and the owner plans to window both drives. All IDE and power cables will be routed up the left side of the case in one large bundle using Spark Plug Wire Seperators
    [​IMG].

Since 1/2" Hose clamps are ridiculously expensive, I will be making my own out of 1/2" polycarbonate scraps. They should help keep the tubing orderly and obsessive clean.

Once my part of the project is completed, all remaining work will be on the shoulders of it's new owner. And trust me, he plans on going beyond the extra mile on this one once he gets his mits on it.

This should be the first in-progress project log I've ever done and should prove to be alot of fun.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2004
  2. slimjim_jjh

slimjim_jjh What's a Dremel?

I love you :p

my PC:rock:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Captain Slug

Mmmm, you don't see red very often. It's my lighting color of choice. UV comes in a close second.

4. Hephaistus

Hephaistus What's a Dremel?

5. kplonk

kplonk What's a Dremel?

Looks like this may be a good one

6. Timdog

Timdog What's a Dremel?

I'll be keeping an eye on this mod. I think that red may soon replace blue as the color of choice for case modding.

7. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Welcome back to the Bit cap! aint seen you around lately

Looking good :thumb:

8. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

thats gonna be kool if all works out, like the idea, have 2 watch and see how its done now

9. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

Last edited: 8 Apr 2004
  10. Twitch

Twitch What's a Dremel?

could you size that pic. down a lil, its a tad big.

11. Temo Vryce

Temo Vryce What's a Dremel?

Dang Captain it looks like you are going to make on lucky member very very happy. I only wish it was me. :D

12. Captain Slug

hehe, if anyone else wants on made it would be practical to have me do it at the same time as this one...

PM me if interested.

13. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Ya know, if you have the Inlet towards the top-side of the ball coming in at an angle, and the outlet on the very bottom - you could end up with a cool-ass tornado effect in the res. :D Of course, might cause some bubbles...

Can't wait to see how this all turns out!! :thumb:

14. Captain Slug

It's setup that way, the inlet is near the top pointing in the same direction as the outlet on the bottom so it should create a nice whirlpool no matter what level you fill the res to. It would also be pretty fin to put a spiral patterned ball into the middle of the res to se it spin around...

15. naelq

naelq What's a Dremel?

WOW, a great project! (or at least should be! :D)
    let's see, how well/bad can you express the U.S.S.R! :p
    GOOD LUCK! :thumb:

16. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Niiiice. I am going to keep an eye on this one. :dremel: [ Edit: ] Oh, and speaking of representing the U.S.S.R., that spherical rez reminds me a bit of a plutonium core that I saw once in a movie. Supposed to be ex-Soviet, of course.

17. Twunka

Twunka What's a Dremel?

just where does the water go if the res leaks or a res barb leaks or something

straight to the mobo lol

but all in all i likeies alot

18. Captain Slug

At pressure it really wouldn't matter where the motherboard was since the leak would spray. And if you don't leak test your system, you're setting yourself up for a nearly suicidal experience.

Either way I'm recommending that my client that he consider using Fluid XP+ which is a non-coductive water-cooling liquid.

19. Twunka

Twunka What's a Dremel?

pure genius there now all i have to do is water cool my system lol i'm a noob wen it comes to water colling

and spelling