1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M³ Car PC *18.8.04 - Case Update Online!*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Der Me!$ter, 1 Jan 2004.

1. ColD_FusSioN

ColD_FusSioN What's a Dremel?

Der Me!$ter You are doing a excellent job man, and your knowledge on electronics are quite impressive, currently i am working on a personalized voice command recognition system implmented with a computer, i already have the electronics interface and like the 80% of the software. It would be nice that you added that to your project, tell me if you are interested.

Keep up working like that man!!
    :hip:

2. DeadTeddy

DeadTeddy What's a Dremel?

a friend of mine has an accord and it has buttons to control the audio system on the steering wheel itself. could be a nice touch.

3. ozcar_vdb

ozcar_vdb What's a Dremel?

whow looks gúd !

4. Stupendousman_13

Stupendousman_13 What's a Dremel?

that is some great electrical work. the touch buttons just make it that much sweeter. keep it up. :thumb:

5. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Wow i just love that control plate. Can i inquire as to what the tuch buttens are exactly/ they look like a alu disk with a raised and rounded plastic rim. If it is how did you do that? i know you got the front and the disks cnc'ed but did they do the plastic part as well? Only asking caus i love it so muck and i wana remake my control panel to my car with those led touch disks like you got.

Down with plactic toggle switches!!

6. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

Thanks to all of you!

@ColD_FusSioN
    Although I already have a voice recognition system on the CarPC I would definately want to hear more about your system. Is it an external harware component or is it soley software? How good is the recognition - will it work in a loud, automotive environment?

@woodshop
    As you already mentioned the actual electrodes were manufacured from black, anodized aluminium. I got a small ring engraved around the circumference just for the sake of aethetics. They are mounted on plexi glass - I think that is the plastic you are talking about. The plexi glass consists of three layers:

--------------- 4mm plexi (frosted)
    --------------- mirror foil
    --------------- 2mm plexi

The mirror foil gives it the brushed aluminium look, reflects the light of the LEDs and also hides the cable I had to attach to the electrode (i.e. the cable runs vertically from the 4mm plexi right through to the 2mm plexi and then horizontally to the exit of the control panel so the mirror foil covers it). There are four 5mm LEDs to light up the plexi around each of the electrodes. Hope that helps :thumb:

Last edited: 29 May 2004
  7. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

wow thats a horrably complex butten. it can't more then like as big as you thumb though unless i'm guessing at the pics wrong. OR you mean 5 leds to light all the buttens and that they are all eather lit or not lit.

8. Der Me!$ter

You guessed correctly - the electrodes have a diameter of 22mm and a height of 3mm (panel: 240mm x 65mm x 11mm). Here is an older pic to show you how I constructed the panel :

[​IMG]

It shows the inside of the control panel (rear view) with the 2mm plexi sheets lying ontop of the 4mm plexi sheets. Note that I haven't yet installed the mirror foil on that pic. As you can see the plexi sheets for each touch electrode are seperated by a small wood section. This prevents the light from flowing over to another section when one button is pressed. It also enables me to use different colors for each of the buttons:

Power - blue
    LCD - blue
    Volume+ - red
    Volume- - green

There are four 5mm LEDs per electrode. You can see the holes I made in the sheets on every corner. Currently it is all wired up, all of the wires were crammed into the minimal space I had left (you can't see all of the cable channels on this pic) and it was sandwiched by the back plate - this panel was a real bitch to assemble.

Last edited: 29 May 2004
  9. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Ok that would be one **** of a thing to cram together. Now last question I promise. You supressed adjacent by connecting the entire face plate to ground i bet right?

10. Der Me!$ter

I'm guessing you want to know how to avoid interferance when touching electrodes. To be honest, I didn't ground the plate. I however, used an array of touch sensor ICs, which can be daisy chained to avoid false triggers. Check out the QT115

Last edited: 30 May 2004
  11. Goblin Tinkerer

Goblin Tinkerer What's a Dremel?

This thing should be sweet. Hurry up and finish!!

12. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

the qt11x are active high right?

im thinking of building a car pc, and i like the touch sensor idea

13. Der Me!$ter

Not all of them are high. The ones I used (QT115) are actually low, hence the NOT gate in my circuit. Look at the bottom of this page. There is a table with all of the QT11x with their outputs.

14. Buzku

Buzku What's a Dremel?

Great stuff!

15. ColD_FusSioN

Voice

16. ozGFX

ozGFX What's a Dremel?

goot work dude keep the pictures coming i like this very much

17. computer

computer What's a Dremel?

hey can you keep me updated on that voice recognicion system I might be interested too...

18. ColD_FusSioN

Voice

Of course man, i am currently in the primary and basic tests of the system,and let me tell you that is amazing!!! handles the signal noise very well,... i have a document of everything i do on the project, the problem is that is written in spanish, however i try to post the results in here...

:hip:

19. computer

computer What's a Dremel?

heh I did spanish in secondary school ~10yrs ago, doubt I can remember it though

20. ColD_FusSioN

Dsp

The "kernel" of the system is the DSP Algorithms... you may want to check some of them, like the convolution, cross correlation and the IIR digital filters...