1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Dremel Wannabe

Discussion in 'Modding' started by diabloroker, 6 Jun 2004.

1. diabloroker

diabloroker What's a Dremel?

okay i just went to this tool place and i bought a thing that looks like a dremel...i hope to cut metal with it. i have to buy metal bids. but first thing before i use it... how do u know if it can cut metal? does it have to be a certain rpm? because mine is 14000 rpm. i need replys ASAP because im going to the tool place again 2marrow and thats when they close.

2. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

well u can cut metal at any rpm it just depends on the disk ur using, i sugest these uber fiber reinforced disks that are like 3 inches in diameter i found at $4 bucks a pop, it may sound expensive but they dont break or were down like the typical disk,...if not just get reinforced cutting disks pack of 20 for $4 bucks or so. hope i helped and welcome to the forums :thumb:

3. diabloroker

oh thanks....i think i got some of that UBERized discs ur talking about

4. moddedgeek

moddedgeek What's a Dremel?

otherwise known as fiberglass reinforced cutting disks

5. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Well not to gloat but 14000rpm is not that great cuz when I cut metal I use highest settings 35000rpm and just barely lean on metal this way the disk dosent breack and the cuts are nice and crisp.

6. diabloroker

i cant really do much about it... dremel and other BRAND names are expensive. and my budget is already used all up.....

7. toss

toss What's a Dremel?

what are you going to be doing with it? like what sort of metals you cutting?

8. coil

coil What's a Dremel?

Related question while we're on the subject: is the simple, single-speed dremel sufficient to any basic cutting I might want to do, or should I shell out for the multi-speed one?

9. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

You should be able to get a decent tool for a lot cheaper. I dont knwo how much dremmels cost in he US but a good one is probably more than £60 here. The one I use cost me £15 (about $25) and works well - apart form it broke yesterday, but thats after a lot of use. A proper dremmel would have broke just the same.

Mine has 6 speeds, has a 140w motor, and i think it does something like 32000rpm