1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding HyperX -The Kingston Demo PC -A little preview

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ZapWizard, 12 Sep 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Not a project log yet, you of all people should know the rules ;)

Moving to modding

2. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

Rockin' concept, Zap. Another Shuttle, and an FX55 to boot! :rock:

Etched plexi, especially dual-layered (one layer, two layer, red layer, blue layer) is going to look nice.

Are you planning on using a blue CCFL for just a general interior light, with LEDs for accents, or just a ton of blue LEDs?

3. z\\\\ffs

z\\\\ffs What's a Dremel?

WORD!
    Thats what i wanted to say...
    Its too overloaded with all these companies...
    i dont think all these companies are your spnsors for this project , zap ?
    Simple but elegant,thats it :)

4. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

once the whole case is put together and ready to go i think it will look a lot better than the pics show now. RIght now everyone is seeing them all together and not how the look should flow when its assembled. Congrats on another fun job to do! Should be a challenge having it done by november! :rock: :cooldude:

5. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

As in the first post November. (If all the part arrive on time)

Here is the rule:
    "What qualifies as a project log: Projects that you have started to work on and is ongoing."

I have started work on the project, and it is ongoing.
    If you want physical photos, I can take images of the parts?
    So, according to the rules, this is a project log.
    So could someone move it back please?

A company gets it's logo directly on the PC depending on the amount they have contributed to the project. (Either in product or cash)
    Smaller contributions are listed, and linked on my website.
    That doesn't mean the PC is free, it still costs a lot for parts.

The front may look busy in the plans, but once the images are etched behind plexi they won't look so bold.
    Many people said the same about the ATI PC, but in person I usualy get the opposite reaction.
    Compare the plan for the ATI PC, and the final result:
    Plan:http://www.zapwizard.com/ATI/PC-Front-Sml.jpg
    Result1:http://www.zapwizard.com/ati/highres/02-angle.jpg
    Result2:http://www.zapwizard.com/Events/EverLAN04/atipc/5.jpg

The plan right now is for nothing but LEDs.

6. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

I totally agree. Keep it simple and clean. I think the front looks clutered because the company names and logos are so big. On your AMD/ATI box they are not so overwhelming.

EDIT: And how can you say this is not a project log. He is in his planning stage and needs feedback before he starts his project. You move this thread but you leave this one http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=68853 Inconsistency.

And this one http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=68515

And this one http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=68474

I think zap has earned a little more respect than this.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2004
  7. z\\\\ffs

z\\\\ffs What's a Dremel?

Hmmm...you're right :)

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

When the modding (i.e. work) starts, it will go back to Project Logs.

You've not done anything other than planning so far.

You're not being treated any differently to anyone else, once the modding has started the Project Logs/Modding Moderators will gladly move your project back in to the Project Logs forum.

9. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

WOW :jawdrop: Very Nice Zap :D

10. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

good luck
    and hurry up with the updates :D

11. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Sorry man I just do what I'm told
    Physical photos of the beginnings of modding will bump the thread back to PLs

12. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

OK, looks good and all but what happened to it being shaped like a head? Oh well, This will look just as cool I'm sure and a lot more portable.

13. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

What do you guys expect? Of course it will have advertising all over it - its going to be shown off everywhere it goes! I know you said that some are donating components, but (and I wondered this about the HL2 for valve) is Kingston paying for the PC? I didnt want to read the Valve HL2 thread just to find out an answer and I didnt want to post for fear of a flame war. Little confuesd at this point. :confused:

14. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

looks good so far - but can you do some renders showing some translucency?

(PS - it qualifies as a log, unlike those other threads listed. </political comment>)

15. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

No it doesnt, I would have to agree that there is no modding as of yet, There for is just a plan of action for what he wants to do. ergo not a log of what has been done.

JEEVES

16. Grump

Grump The Mad Modder

I wouldn't normally comment on something like this because it just takes away from the original poster's intended content. However, I can not believe how Zap is being treated here concerning this project. He is one of the most respected builders/modders around and, as far as I know, has turned most every project he's started into a reality. Now he is being treated disrespectfully because he has done something too few modders do -- plan.

It's unfortunate that you feel Zap may fail to materialize a project, much like many unexperienced hobbyists and new members do. He is neither. He has turned out more quality work as well as a large body of entertaining and educational posts and deserves much better than this.

Every modder should plan their projects thoroughly and Zap is setting a good example -- as usual. For you to decide that planning is not a part of the project is short-sighted. You have the opportunity to allow a highly skilled craftsman to teach, but instead you treat him like an errant student. I am embarrassed by this and am concerned about your callous treatment of someone with so much to offer this forum.

Grump

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

110 LEDs draw maybe 10 watts...

I agree with a few others... it seems a bit overboard on the logos for my taste but I'll have to see the finished product. That hardware is :jawdrop:

18. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

I'm sure this will be really nice. HyperX Demo PC, huh? I guess my rig can be the Kingston ValueRam demo PC. :hehe: Will the video card be an AIW X800XT? This PC is going to be a beast performance-wise. So the Laser PC is on hold, then?

19. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

Yeah that media pc just kicks ass........

20. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Ok, since this happens every time I start a project, I will just make the thread a pre-view thread. And start and offical project log later.
    That works for me, and can keep the project log cleaner later.

Ok here is how my pro-mods work:
    Kingston is paying for most of the PC, the parts, labor, and their own product.
    Due to relationships with other companies that either I, or Kingston have, we can get some of the parts of the PC donated.
    Parts are not donated just for free. Depending on the cost, companies expect a return of somekind. A logo on the PC, or the website, and build article. It's advertizing for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.