1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nostromo n30 and n50 review...

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cheese, 16 Apr 2002.

1. Cheese

Cheese Doc

2. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

I really like the idea behind that n50 it should make some games far easier to play, and not a bad price either compared to some similar products! Are UK prices going to be similar do you know? Otherwise, I'm going to see family in the States soon, so if I get one then it will work in the UK right?
    Great Review by the way!:cooldude:

3. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Thanks for the nice words... with respect to uk prices I'm sure they're similar, I'll look into it ;)

Cheers,

r.

4. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

LOL I got one of these today , taking a while to get used to it but I like wot I see :)

5. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Thanks for the info gordy... saved me some work ;)

Cheers,

r.

6. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

No probs

Out of interest wot games have you used it in ? I've just tried counter strike , I have tried a couple of configs which did really work .

I had crouch and walk on the dpad which proved silly but I've changed it round a bit. I spent about 3 hrs playing like a n00b but I am getting it , I think a week and it will become second nature , I like the red green and bloo button idea , not had time to full explore it yet , only arrived today

7. Cheese

Cheese Doc

I can't play CS it makes me feel sick :(

I tried q3, max payne and mohaa... the only three games I had to hand. It's true Belkin's premade configs weren't always how I would like it setting up but most of thehard work has been done for you - changing a couple of keys around so it's just right doesn't take much effort ;)

Cheers,

r.

8. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

The counter strike one wasnt how I liked it and didnt like my config so I started from scratch :D
    I don't like the wheel its useless as far as I can see ?

9. Cheese

Cheese Doc

For first person shooters yes... IMO it;s a fairly nice feeling throttle, good for flight sims etc :)

r.

10. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Ah that makes sense , I was wanting to use it for cs tho :(

I did notice a annoying bug last night where if you press a couple of buttons and hold them sometimes it goes mad and does random stuff , it happened more than once .

11. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Hmm I don't think you're allowed to hold more than 4 buttons down at once, this is true for a lot of controllers and I didn't see it ever coming up really...

r.

12. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Dunno left back crouch and one other is sommat I do quite often :cries:

13. polamnus

polamnus What's a Dremel?

...and I love it!

I love my N50, got it a few months ago and it's been the best all-around game controler I've ever had. It works for FPS's, Flight Sims, really just about anything.

Here's a piece of advice that I've found useful. Don't bother with the pre-made downloadable layouts. Don't bother spending time and effort making your own layouts. Just make one or two "Default" layouts, say one for FPS's, one for flight sims, etc. Then use your in-game keymapper to set the N50's buttons to game functions. That way you're not ever juggling around lots of layouts. Separate layouts for each game actually mean that you have to 1, setup the layout in the N50's software, then 2, program the in-game keymaps to the same as the N50. Kind of hard to explain unless you have one, but it's a much better approach.

N50 is an A+ product, IMO. I use it more often than not in WW2 Online, where it's suitable for infantry, tanking, or flight sim play. Haven't found a game yet that it's not good for.

Best to all,
    Pol

14. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Is there going to a version for the left handed ppl?

15. polamnus

polamnus What's a Dremel?

For the 'sinister' among us...

I'm left handed through and through and the N50 still is my all time all around best controler. Probably just out of necessity or following standards, I've always played my FPS's mouse in right hand, WSAD for left hand. If you're used to that, then the N50 is no different. YMMV, but it's never been an issue for this sinsiter fellow.

Best to all,
    Pol

16. jamiesurfs

I saw in a mag today that the n50 is going to cost £25 in the UK, so that seems pretty reasonable to me!

17. Cheese

Cheese Doc

18. jamiesurfs

Cool, Cheers Cheeseman, I think I'll put in an order now! Dabs are always pretty reasonable for service (for me anyway) so that will do me fine!

19. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

The N50 is that for your left hand? Im not sure If I could manipulate it, how does it feel, natural, akward?

20. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Yes it's to replace the keyboard that would normally sit under your left hand - just feels like a comfortable keybaord... pretty nice, didn't take me long to get used to using it :)

r.

Tags: Add Tags