1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Metaversa: LCD goodness (small update 17/07/05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 11 Apr 2003.

1. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Excellent work, i take it you're nearing completion. Do you have anything planned for the external asthetiks of the case, a window design maybe? Well done as always :D

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I should have some free time soon (the lull between finishing an old job and starting a new one...) so I hope to have it actually running within the month!

Lots planned for the outside... Unconventionally, I concentrated on the insides first because I need a working rig soon... and given that in my book, form follows function, the outside look would be dictated by the working insides. Good thing, because I have re-designed the window umpteen times, and now have settled on a look that ties in with the GPU and pump brackets. I may do a Sketchup.

Thanks for staying interested. I know progress has been frustratingly slow and updates piecemeal. I just have an insanely busy job/life... and a book to try and publish eventually (on brain injury, not modding :p ). What is scary is that I am already planning the next project... :worried: I've got a brand new Coolermaster ATC-S4000 stored somewhere... :naughty:

3. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

The insides have so much crammed in, yet it doesn't actually look all the cluttered. Great job and I too am waiting for the finished article :thumb: .

4. crimandevil

crimandevil What's a Dremel?

Great looking case, great job on it! You gave me some good ideas. :rock:

5. _rahoul

_rahoul What's a Dremel?

if u can i think it'd be a good idea to replace those exhaust fans with some Alu frame ones. The effect is kinda ruined by the black fans.

just a thought

6. Nexxo

Considered it, but they were too noisy, and I really did not want to have to mess about with a baybus to modulate them (that would ruin the minimalist exterior, and it would be one more thing to have to control. I want the machine to be completely self-regulating, so I can just get on with using it). So I opted for panaflos instead.

However, with the advent of V.L. Systems' Zephyrus, a software controlled thermostatically self-regulating baybus (with additional goodies), I may revise my plans a bit. I could put in the alu fans and have them throttled down in default state, only to speed up when increased temps require it. I could put in extra temp sensors. I could use the 5" colour LCD to diplay its baybus and voltage data... Oh, the possibilities...

Nevertheless, that would throw out the "Divine Protection" circuit. I really do not relish dumping a circuit that cost some time and effort to develop! So I'm as of yet undecided on this.

7. Risky

Risky Modder

But replacing a top quality fan with a lower quality shiner version has to be vaguely against the design principal?

Surely if you want to regulate the fan down you'd choose higher flow panaflos or equivalent?

8. Nexxo

Good point. :D

9. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Where did you get the Chromed BlakIce Pro Rad or did you buy one and chrome it yourself? Also how hard was it to drill the aquatube to accomodate 1/2" barbs?

Last edited: 12 Sep 2004
  10. Nexxo

The BIX came chromed (it was a special edition). DangerDen still sells them in chrome, but I suspect they will be discontinued soon. They used to come in gold as well. Moreover, for a brief time the BIX2 came in chrome or gold also. Now those were rad lookin' rads! :D Haven't seen them in that colour for a year now though... :sigh:

The Aquatube was not hard to drill out --but you need a pillar or bench press drill. This is not something you can do with a hand-held one. Tapping it again needs a tap and die set which most people will not have lying about. I had mine done at a University metal workshop because they had the equipment there.

11. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I had mine done at my job which has a machine shop.

They had to mill out the area around the previous barbs.
    http://www.detn8r.net/gallery/albums/Project-False/normal_13.jpg
    http://www.detn8r.net/gallery/albums/Project-False/normal_14.jpg

12. Nexxo

Small update: the project is not dead... but Divine Protection is. During the first test run of this circuit, I found that it does not work. :waah: Spoke to its creator, Dr. Mike, who thinks there may be an issue with parasitic capacitances etc. (uh, yeah. Of course. :confused: ) and will have a look at it.

Meanwhile I've decided to replan some of the setup, to replace this circuit. Now I will make much more use of the MO LCD display features than I planned, but that has its advantages... which, you will see in due time.

Also re-designed the logo (again-- I think I'm happy with it now...), and made the templates for the polished stainless steel cut-outs and the window. Now to complete the re-wiring and fill the sucker up to test-run it.

Pics soon. :)

13. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Just for clarification; when is soon?

14. Nexxo

As soon as I've got things re-wired, connected, filled up and running. Think end of the week. Fingers crossed.

15. Butch

Butch What's a Dremel?

God man, ive been viewing this log since it was born, dude, you have some skills, i admire in the way how you keep everything so neat, but at the same time making these complex cuts. The way in which you have made this look so professional and each cut looks as though it has been designed by a pro on Cad is amazing.

Id just like to wish you the best of luck with the rest of the project dude, and hope all goes well!!

Over and out!

Peace :hip:

Butch :thumb:

16. tumz

tumz What's a Dremel?

Hurry up mate!!! you have to finish this case. Cant wait to see what it will look like :D

17. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Have you been able to diagnose the problem or is it just a case that the unit doesn't work. I look forward to those pics :D

18. -=Clew=-

-=Clew=- What's a Dremel?

Is the pics this slow for everybody, or is it something with my internet?
    Those dual waterblocks looks sweet though.

I can't get more than 8mbit internet here out in the woods, I wish i lived in the city, 100mbit is THE ****.
    But 8mbit should be enough fo some pics, maybe some problem with the connection oversea.

19. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

still working on this project :D

Be good to see when it's going...:)

20. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

wow, excellent mod, and probibly one of the longest running on bit!

you have inspired me with ideas for my mod (coming soon to a forum near you) :D

keep up the good work :thumb:

_C