1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling What Case for Watercooling?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vidur, 11 Oct 2004.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Well, you flip it on its back, open the lid, and then slowly tilt it upright with a beaker (or something to catch the liquid in) under it, and finally tilt it face-down to completely drain the system.

However I would just install a drainage point (a T-junction with a plug like the very nice ones DangerDen now sells) at the lowest point of the circuit (usually near the pump). That way you don't have to move the case at all; you just open the plug and let it drain. :thumb:

2. Risky

Risky Modder

I'd be a bit bothered that it could spill as there is no lip to pour from into the beaker (They lid is recessed). Moreover if you do spill, the from of a V1000 is mostly holes!

Again that works fine if you have a res as the top with the lid off, however without that you need another way to let the air in so it drains.

3. Vidur

Vidur What's a Dremel?

Nexxo do you mean that fillport dangerden sell? or if not, can you please post me a link? Also wont this T-Junction affect flow?

Nexxo if you dont mind me asking, how do you drain your system as you have a aquatube as well but yours is on the top? - is your way just by tipping the case over?

Thanks

Last edited: 26 Oct 2004
  4. Vidur

Vidur What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the help risky. I think i may go for the way you and nexxo say with the T-Junction but still just thinking of how it can be done.

5. Nexxo

Yup, it's the DangerDen one. A T-junction should not affect flow (at least, nobody who has used one ever commented on it). But Risky is right: you'd have to open the res to let the air in. So you'd still have to flip the case on it's back --but that means you simply put the T-junction at what is the lowest point of the circuit when the case is in that position.

I would have put in a drainage point in my case, but unfortunately there was no space left in the circuit where I could conveniently fit a T-junction (the only disadvantage of a design allowing me to squeeze a dual CPU setup with a very short, efficient circuit in a mid-tower case). But as Fluorinert is zero maintenance and pretty much lasts the lifetime of the PC (in fact, longer), I do not expect to ever need to drain it. However I have done it once and it was just a matter of turning the case over gently while someone else held a beaker with a pouring spout under the res opening. I also have a funnel for filling the case.

6. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

nexxo, can you no longer remove the whole loop without draining it? Is that a change that i have missed in you log?

[edit] i.e. removing the need to drain, especially with the liquid gold your using![/edit]

7. Vidur

Vidur What's a Dremel?

Nexxo thanks for the help. I can use the fillport but it is a matter of space. I am sort of running out of space in the case.
    If worst comes to worst then i will try to figure somthing out to fit the fillport in.

I have come to a bit of a 'dumb' answer but logical one to. I can place the case on its front on a high table and can just place it so the RES is hanging off the edge.
    I can then get someone to hold a bucket or somthing under the RES, while i open the RES up. Once the RES is open the water will come stright out.

One question is, if i do it this way, will any water come out of the PUMP or RAD as it is on its side/front and will the pump allow water to come backwords through it? or is this just a very 'dumb' way of doing it?

I think this would work without any spllage but correct me if im wrong please. This way i dont need to use the fillport and neither do i need to use the T-Junction.

If you have any more ideas please say.

Thanks again for helping

8. Nexxo

No worries, I can still remove the loop without draining it. The design hasn't changed. :D

Works for me. :thumb:

You may have to rock the case back and forth a bit to get all the water out, but I don't see why it shouldn't work. The pump, when inactive, will prove no obstacle, and water can get in and out any which way it likes.

9. Vidur

Vidur What's a Dremel?

Then thats the way i will drain the system. Now i dont need the T-Junction or the fillport.

As long as the system is running without any leak ,then when i put the case on its front to empty it or on its back to fill it, there still shouldnt be any leaks if im correct? or will i get like a few drops of water coming out of things like RAD/PUMP due to the water travlling the other way out of them and them being on there side and not upright?

Thanks again nexxo.

thanks

10. Nexxo

You worry about the strangest things... :) Watertight means watertight. If you think the coolant sloshing about by moving/tilting your case could cause leaks, picture what would happen when your pump chases it around the loop at several litres per minute! If you don't have any leaks while running your system (which is when it is under the most pressure anyway), it means there is nowhere for water to leak under any circumstances.

As such I never understood people's worry about carrying a WC case to a LAN party. If you build it right, there won't be any leaks. if you mount things right, nothing will snap off and start rattling around your case --unless you're really throwing the thing about in ways that you shouldn't anyway (and couriers/parcel delivery people do, so always transport your case yourself!). It's heavier than a regular setup so LAN portable is different --but you should be able to transport it and tilt it and place it on its head if you wanted to, without any problems.

11. Risky

Risky Modder

I guess it depends how often you will want to drain it. In my case it seems to be often as I tend to fiddle with the rig, but for you it maybe won't be such an issue. My concern with the plan was that you have to remove the lid of the reservoir after turning the case on its front and that seemed like a hassle to me.

I guess you build it, test it without the other components and then see how easy it is to drain, before there are dives or boards to get splashed. If you then think it needs help, you can add a draining setup. Probably a T and value off the pump and a fill port from the res, should be a pretty tidy operation. Btw you should have ~4omm either side of the rad so there should be room

12. Vidur

Vidur What's a Dremel?

Ok, so i just got to make sure that eveythings is held/screwed properly in and nothing moves in the case. Then i will have no problems in draining or filling the system by tilting the case on its back and front.

Thanks for helping

13. Vidur

Vidur What's a Dremel?

Yep. Thats what i will do risky. When i test the system, i will drain it by tilting the case on its front then removing the lid on the RES and if it works out allrite without any splashes, then i will continue to drain the system out this way. If not then i will go with the T-Juntion and the fillport.

Thanks

14. Risky

Risky Modder

So,when do you start :)

15. Vidur

Vidur What's a Dremel?

Thats a good question. Im just sorting out what things im going to get and where im going to get them from. The guy doing the RAD mounting will also mount the RES and the pump as im not an expert at cutting things up and drilling. So now its just a case of sorting out what i want.

Thanks

Tags: