1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling MOSFET heatpipes possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scotty6435, 27 Oct 2004.

1. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure if this has been thought of before but does anyone think it is possible to use heatpipes to cool MOSFETs? Possibly modifying a GFX card heatpipe & sinks would help achieve a more stable overclock without the water flow restriction/fan noise.

2. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

Heatpipes are made on a custom basis. They are made and filled for their intended use and would most likely be horribly inefficent in another application.

Unless you got massively lucky and your mosfets ran the same conditions/temps/etc as your video.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Still, the idea is good. Perhaps some mobo manufacturer will release one in the future with that feature on it. Would be nice...

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

A chopped up sink does the job nicely with a little airflow :) As long as the base is fairly thin that is :D

5. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I've got some old pentium heatsinks to cut into sinks but heatpipes seem to be the perfect addition to the extreme overclocking mobo. Might make a good add-on to some current ones if any companies are reading this :D I'd like a watercooled mosfet cooler but they're pretty restricting on flow especially as I will eventually have 5 blocks fitted :)

6. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

7. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

Yeah I agree. Althought I reckon it wouldnt be cheap.

Also Tulatin, that thing looks amazing. I bet zalman will be into it soon.
    Also that is a lovely mobo. I had one of those 3d cpu coolers. They are very pretty, but not a --silent run.

8. kipkool

kipkool What's a Dremel?

heatsinks is a good solution even for high o/c
    wc is the most perform and I think it doesn't provoke a big restriction flow by making a very few restriction wb :thumb:

9. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

That looks pretty damn sweet, I have a Gigabyte 8KNXP which also has that dual power board, it came with a heatsink & fan which I removed and replaced with custom heatsinks.

I'd like to know just how heavy that heatpipe solution is though, because the dual-power board is held in place by a small clip and it is rather flimsy.

/end of slightly off topic post :p

Tags: