1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. Mishkin

Mishkin What's a Dremel?

Cool mod I must say, I ordered my own lcd (brand new) from some video-game retailer here in finland, cost me 53€ + 10€ for the postage. Not that overpriced considering I'd have to pay way over 100€ for a similar display that was meant to be used the way I'm going to use this... :D

Gonna pick it up tomorrow, along with some cables and other stuff I need. If I can just get it to work, I'm gonna set the comp. up in my car :rolleyes:

2. Mishkin

Mishkin What's a Dremel?

Picked up my screen from the post today, bought a 3xrca to 3.5 plug from a local electronics-store (12,6€), wasn't hard to find. Plugged it into my radeon 9100 and activated the tv-out, and voila, works like a charm... since the card doesn't support 640x480, but the lowest is 800x600, it converts the signal so the display still shows a picture, but the edges are scrollable so the desktop doesn't fit on it... doesn't matter though, I won't be using this card for it anyway... :)

The picture is very good (blurry due to higher resolution) and I'm happy with it... Now I just need an inverter of some kind to get everything to work in my car.

3. sri777

sri777 What's a Dremel?

Power supply

Hi,

I am confused about the power supply. After modding, does it require a 5V or 7.5V?

The mod diagram shows Pin 9 as the 5V power supply. Does it mean, it gets this voltage from the computer's video card? Or you need to supply this power explicitly?

Assuming the 5V comes from the video card, do I still need to provide the 7.5V using the 7.5V DC adapter that came along with the screen in the box?

thanks
    srini

4. btk100

btk100 What's a Dremel?

This 5V line have nothing to do with the power supply, and yes you still need to provide the 7.5V DC from the adapter. An other way to power it would be from the car adapter like that: PSU ---> Car Adapter ---> LCD!

Hope it helped,

Jon

5. sri777

sri777 What's a Dremel?

Thanks Jon. That was helpful.

I bought a Matrox Mystique card on ebay and crossing my fingers that the mod will work well with it...

-srini

6. Final Chad

Final Chad What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, after lurking for so long, I got myself the whole shibazz and I tried to set it up but I'm sorta stuck. BTW - I'm using the VGA mod on this page. This is my current output after a bit of tweaking.

Setup:
    Sony PSone screen. NTSC-J
    1997 Matrox PCI card (I think it's the Millennium II). XP automatically installed the drivers.
    VGA Cable

- When I first plugged it in, it looked like this.
    Edit: This is the same effect on Windows XP and Windows ME.

[​IMG]

- After playing around a bit with video settings and powerstrip.
    - Anyways, I just can't get it to fill the whole screen.

I don't know much about refresh rates. The pixel clock is locked so when I load the video arcade settings it just stays the same... I'm not sure how to get it to work. I'm hoping you guys can help me out. :confused:

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Last edited: 27 Nov 2004
  7. Final Chad

Final Chad What's a Dremel?

Works

Okay I swapped my Matrox Millennium II for a Matrox Mystique, so it works now.
    [​IMG]
    :clap: :clap:

Last edited: 27 Nov 2004
  8. sri777

sri777 What's a Dremel?

Hi Chad,

Glad it is working for you. Can you post your powerstrip settings for Mystique (screen shots as you did in your first post).

btw, how is the image quality with mystique? Is the text legible?

thanks
    srini

9. Aliensniper

Aliensniper What's a Dremel?

OK, all this stuff is way over my head.

I have a Radeon 9600XT and a ATi TV Wonder Pro

What do I need besides the screen for the entire project?

Any help is appreciated.

10. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

Will this one work too?

I've been looking all over for a Sony LCD, but I can't find it anywhere, all shops say Sone stopped the production and they can't get it anymore.
    In a shop in town, they got a different LCD for the PSone, a Brooklyn Flatscreen FTF 5600 (5,6", 14,2 cm). It doesn't have the speakers, and is more square shaped, but it is meant for the PSone aswell. I have tried finding some more information about this lcd, but I couldn't find anything apart from german webshops selling it.

Please tell me, before I buy this thing and rip it apart, will it do like the normal one? I don't have much experience with electronics, so I couldn't tell myself.
    By the way, the thing should work with a Radeon 9600 Pro right? And a Radeon 9200 SE?

Thanks,
    Koradhil
    www.korazu.com

11. arsenala13

arsenala13 What's a Dremel?

I got my about a month ago on Ebay for $60 new. The sad thing is you have to search for a few days online to find them nowadays.

Keep searching, they'll turn up :D

12. Koradhil

The Brooklyn one is 49 euros ($60 or so) new, and it's 0.6" larger ^_^
    I just want to know it it'll work.
    I don't really trust Ebay, I have no experience with it, plus I don't have a creditcard.

13. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa What's a Dremel?

Can someone please tell me if I can use the official ps2 screen for this mod instead of the psone screen ??

14. Lemmingzappa

Or even if its not the official ps2 screen, could i use it for the mod ?

15. Synapse

Synapse What's a Dremel?

Hey,

Nice article great work!

I'm about to get a PSone lcd screen but it will probably by an american one (NTS C)

However im in Europe which is PAL will the svideo option still work?

If not will VGA?

Cheers!

PS im using a Geforce Ti4800SE (if i have to go VGA route ill get a matrox mystique) would much rather go s-video if i can tho! :D

Last edited: 9 Nov 2004
  16. calnen

calnen moo!!

Just to say I got mine working in the end too. I gave up on the dsub input and just used composite. Works great :) So now I have my playlist/realplayer on a separate screen :)

17. Lemmingzappa

Can someone please tell me if I can use the official ps2 screen for this mod instead of the psone screen ??

18. Synapse

Synapse What's a Dremel?

Youve asked the same thing less that 4 hours ago... at least give ppl time to answer :(

19. Koradhil

I've been searching around, but the only screen I can find is one from a belgian company... this one:
    [​IMG]

Will it work too?

20. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

You should be able to, but the pinouts are probably different, so you'll need to find a spec sheet for it.

Tags: Add Tags