1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So it's almost 2005, what computer upgrades do you have planned?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RR5, 26 Dec 2004.

1. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Seems like the end of the year signifies its time to throw out the old, the failing and bring in the new.

So, lets get to it.

What new purchases do you have planned for 2005?

I, myself might be looking to get 512MB of pc3200 ddr and perhaps a newer 2ghz amd.

Last edited: 26 Dec 2004
  2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Ill probably be getting a gigabyte of RAM first off, and by the end of the year I hope to be running a new AMD 64 rig employing the new tech that AMD chips will soon have, like SSE 3 and such :)
    I also need to get myself a DVD drive (I still dont have one) :(

3. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

it's not 2005 yet.
    but i'm planning a full system upgrade. just started it with an order for a new case, power supply, dvd burner, and case fans.
    mobo, proc, ram, more hdds, and graphics cards by this time next year. possibly even another power supply as the one i just ordered is only 480W, dunno yet, depends on what all i buy throughout the year.

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Main upgrades will be a Coolermaster Stacker and full w/c setup.

Much later in the year I hope to go to A64 and PCI-E gfx.

5. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

taking an axe or something similiar to my current rig :wallbash:

6. Morphious

Morphious What's a Dremel?

CHAINTECH NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU, Model "VNF4/Ultra" -RETAIL

Chaintech nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB DDR3, 128-Bit, TV-Out/DVI, PCI-Express, Model "SE6600G" -RETAIL

OCZ PowerStream 420W Power Supply With Adjustable Power Rails With LED Indicators, SATA Connector, Model "OCZ420ADJ" -RETAIL

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz, 512KB L2 Cache 939-Pin 64-bit Processor - OEM

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail

Seagate 160GB Barracuda 7200.7 7200RPM SATA II with NCQ Hard Drive, Model ST3160827AS, OEM

MSI 52X24X52X16 SATA Combo Drive, Model X52P - Retail

Water Cooling this mofo with some Polarflo blocks as well. :)

7. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

got a big themed project comming :eek: :D you'll have to wait a few weeks to see what it is though :thumb:

8. Sonic Deadline

Sonic Deadline What's a Dremel?

New HSF and DVD-CDRW for the Aria. And maybe a new Keyboard.

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Asus A8N-SLI mobo
    6600GT PCIE
    A64 3000+ 939 Winchester (yes I will overclock that, but it's such a bargain compared to other winchesters, like $100 retail difference at this time)
    ^all ordered already^

New laptop: Pentium M 1.7/512MB/40GB (no gaming at all, I need battery life)
    Dual 6800GTs or NV48's (6900s?) once availbility and financial limitations are overcome.
    Some real f00kin headphones for my new iPod. earbuds suck!
    Lian Li v2000, Aqua-computer H2O setup (I have a lot of the parts already :D)
    16x DL/DF DVD burner and a load of media
    Another dell multimedia keyboard (like $15, and I use every multimedia key there is but don't feel there are any missing)
    Maybe an OC192 internet connection if the price drops by about a million dollars a month. 9.6Gbit for the unaware :p
    Maybe some sorta CD printer type thing
    NCQ HDD, 200GB maybe, depends how many torrent sites are still around by then :hehe:
    Possibly some sort of PSU designed around SLI systems, depends how mine holds up and if I can get the wiring bits I need
    Another gig of ram if I have the spare cash lying around which I highly doubt will be the case

I really hope somewhere I applied goes and gives me a call... as you can guess the above isn't that cheap. Especially considering I want a car.

edit: sweet, I broke 2000 posts right around here :D

10. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Man seems lots of people plan huge upgrades in December, makes me want to open a store :lol:

11. realhorrorshow

realhorrorshow What's a Dremel?

A 17" TFT first off, followed by a DVD burner and 250gb hard drive.

Hope to go to a silent A64 powered beastie later in the year.

12. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

To be fair it isn't January till 'New Years Day', it doesnt change year on 'Christmas Day'

Anywho. I'll be getting a second Dell TFT so that my dual monitor setup doesnt look silly with one grey nasty LG CRT next to a shiny lil Dell tft.
    Should also be getting a second stick of ram, probably some Crucial 1gb. Maybe an external firewire hard drive. Oh and wirelessly networking my whole house. woo money money money....

13. fev

fev Industry Fallout

already got the silent bl0000 shuttle (see sig) That was my xmas pressie... but it does need a new graphics card and a mesh sided lid.

Dual 17" TFT's sounds like a plan since they're dirt cheap at aria.co.uk
    They want 130 notes for a TFT... baaargain!

14. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

One or two 200GB harddrives and a DVD burner.

Custom dual case made from two Chieftec Dragons and loaded with watercooling goodness.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I think the thread title is hypothetical, like "so, its 2005.." like, what will you be planning when it is.

Myself, Probably a pentium M board if they get ICH6, otherwise i wont be upgrading again if i can help it. My 18 month old system is strong enough still. Perhaps a RAID 1 array for my music, with another 300gig maxtor DM10 but that's about it.

16. novicebb

novicebb What's a Dremel?

So share.....

Be specific. What type of psu, graphic card, case as of now. I know that since you plan to do this throughout the 05 year, your ideas may continue to change.

17. novicebb

I just can't wait to see what P4 does later on this year and then see if there will still be those claiming they will be getting an AMD board.

18. novicebb

Well I plan on getting an entire new system built. So I will start off buying me 3 or 4 NEC 3500A 16xDVD DL/DF recorder drives, a mobo that supports presscott cpu, RAID SATA(maybe even with NCQ), has 5.1 to 7.1 codec surround sound built in(this built in sound card doesn't use the cpu to calculate and creat some of the sound does it). Anywhere from 512 to 1gb of Dual channel ddr, some cooling fans and some protective grilles to block out dust. Maybe just one CDRW drive because it is so cheap. No video card as I can think(I am not a gamer or modder)but if the price of a really good video card comes down then i will reconsider. I want a case with atleast 5 bays for 5.25 and 1 or 2 external bays for 3.5inch. Other than that I am not sure what else to get right now.

19. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Intel Suck.. NEH NEH... :hip:

20. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

not having any upgrades. Got everything i wanted, then got a tft and mx combo for xmas so.

Nothing :D