1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GPU fan (blown to smithereeeennnnssss)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Enforcer, 11 Mar 2005.

1. Enforcer

Enforcer What's a Dremel?

Well today hasnt really been a good day since i blew up my GPU fan. Literally! I was cleaning the dust off with a air gun! probably 160lbs of air pressure! and i went 1 way then the other all of a sudden Phshsshshshshthts t booom! gone! Blades blew right up fan is practically gone! :waah: :waah: :waah: :wallbash: :wallbash: So i need a new fan for my gpu anyone have any ideas on what i should get and or where to go!

The video card is an Nvidia GeforceFX 5600 256 dvi|tv /out,

Last edited: 12 Mar 2005
  2. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

The Zalman VF700 is very good. Your card needs to have holes around the gpu. Can be found here Its very quiet, cools well and only takes a few minutes to install.

3. Enforcer

Well i looked at that 1 besides the being UK version, i found that it might not be compatible with my GPU. also changed the PSI for the air to 160 cause thats what it really is!

4. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

The key with air guns is to use short, controlled bursts on fans are they very quickly spin up faster than they are designed to go :D

5. Enforcer

:-D thx! right now after i put all the hardware back into my tower! (thank god) i redid the wiring management and it seems to be pretty stable with 1% dust. and 3 blowing in and 3 blowing out! and the proc blowing whereever it wants!

i havent tested the gpu fully yet running some apps im hesitant, but ill play around with it tonight! I still want a fan tho! i looked into that 1 above and i found 1 similar that was like 28$ USD and said it would work with my GPU. I'll try and get that. ill post the link to the site later to let you guys look at it!

6. mediacoretex

mediacoretex What's a Dremel?

7. Enforcer

yeah here, srry was busy putting my comp back together yesterday!

[​IMG]

wait do you want pics of this or my pc?

8. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

I use a bicycle pump with a duster attachment to clean computers. I have yet to break anything by doing it. As a bonus, I get exercise when I do this.

9. mediacoretex

mediacoretex What's a Dremel?

that bad

10. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Those 40mm fans sucks anyway. Ive had 4 sieze up on me, all different brands.

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

It's a long shot, but try emailing the card manufacturor and ask them. When my card fan died, I emailed Tyan(who don't even make graphics cards anymore I think) and they sent me a replacement from the states for nowt, was very impressed. Try it :)

12. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Holy **** :D:D :hehe:

13. Enforcer

:D Yeah i wasnt too happy with the results on the destruction of the fan! :duh: im gonna call around localally and see if i can find a replacement i hope i can i need a fan, i want my games!!!!!

14. smoguzbenjamin

Well I donno man, it's kinda cool in a way :D

15. Enforcer

Whoa! i get more air from it than ever! :naughty: LOL naw i tried my GPU sat night and quake 3 lagged on a offline game it froze up for a second, and this happend every min or so so im thinking the GPU is getting over heated when i run high performing games!

16. smoguzbenjamin

You're running your GPU without a Heatsink/Fan? :eeek: :eeek: Stop that right now! You'll fry your videocard otherwise!

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Without a heatsink..yes very bad. Without a fan, not nearly so bad. Think about it, how much cooling does a wee 40mm thing give? My card resides at between 37 and 40C all the time. In my graphics monitor(made by manufacturor) it says it's fine up to 70C. Is a 40mm fan really going to make 30 degrees of difference? I've actually been considering going fanless myself.

18. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

It really does make a difference, it only needs to shift the air enough to refresh the gaps between the fins and without a fan it'll overheat and maybe fry especially if OC'd. If you want to go fanless then get a passive heatsink like the
    zalman. Even on a 9700, the single heatpipe version gets damn hot with little airflow.

19. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

My card came with a 4cm*4cm, less than 1cm high heatsink with no fan on the GPU... It ran fine. Have replaced it with a VGA silencer though.

20. Fubie

Fubie What's a Dremel?

Sorry this is off topic, but scotty6435 are you Camper from the Shareaza forums? I ask because you use the same avatar as Camper.

Tags: