1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Projekt Passiv-Agressiv - Custom Radiators, waterblocks *03 Aug, FINISHED*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sanatarium, 22 Feb 2005.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I like the black screws as well. Nice work in any case!

2. (X)TORNADO(X)

(X)TORNADO(X) What's a Dremel?

Keep on working... :thumb:

3. Sanatarium

Sanatarium The Artist Formerly ATi_Loyalist

Yes sir. and a simple jig consisting of a vice, and a piece of wood to slide the router base against to keep it straight. worked out better than I imagined too :D

4. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

Damn, wasn't sure that was possible. How well do you think it would cope with copper or do you think that's where it may all go wrong?
    I was wondering if this was a viable method for waterblock construction in the home and you've just answered it for me! Thanks.

5. Sanatarium

ehh, well I wouldnt get your hopes up, copper is alot different as far as machining properties, it tends to "gum" and stick to the tool more than aluminum as it is being cut, but with LOTS of lubricant it should work out. Ill have more on routing copper when I get to it, because the waterblocks still have to be made yet, and those will have a copper base. We'll see. Thanks for your comments!

6. Sanatarium

Hello again, another update.

Today I messed around with some copper and aluminum and I must say it was a delight. :hip: So, I worked up a prototype of the VGA waterblock, which is ugly on the inside, but its JUST A PROTOTYPE not the real thing. So, I will use the top, but remake the base now that I have more experience with copper. The pieces were cut on a band saw, which was absolutely amazing to watch a blade cut through 1/2" aluminum like BUTTER!!! and the hole were 10-32 for the 4 bolts and 1/4"NPT for the barbs. So, thats about it, the waterblock design isnt final, infact its disgusting and I am ashamed at my work. So it will be remade, and it was just a test since I do not have sufficient experience in copper machining. Anyways, the doodlings on the case will be cut out, with red powdercoated mesh for the backing on the front panel, and milk plexi with red/white LEDs on the chassis cutouts. Nothing fantastic, just reinventing the wheel. :thumb:

Picture:

Base after drilling retention holes:
    [​IMG]

1/2" aluminum plate for the top. fresh cut!
    [​IMG]

This was jsut a cool shot, I used the base as a template to drill the aluminum holes and there was aluminum shavings coming up out of the copper. looked out of place :D
    [​IMG]

Base after some preliminary drilling. I dont like it so I will make another tomorow.
    [​IMG]

Tapping the top plate 1/4" NPT, this was a bitch to tap...quarter turn in, half turn out, oil, repeat, ugh.
    [​IMG]

More tapping action:
    [​IMG]

Nothing like perfect ridges in a hole.
    [​IMG]

Halfway assembled waterblock.
    [​IMG]

Front panel of case, with some swank added. :eeek:
    [​IMG]

Front panel funk.
    [​IMG]

Cutout above the motherboard tray on the opposite side of the "service side"
    [​IMG]

Cutout between the drive holes, will probably be covered with some sort of panel, I hate those little slots for the screws that just sit empty.
    [​IMG]

An example bay cover.
    [​IMG]

Well, thats all I have today, but I will have more tomorow, I have been on break all week, I'm normally not this productive!! :hehe: :hehe:

Later

7. leviathan18

leviathan18 What's a Dremel?

mmm black is nice but i think glossy black looks better or a ver polished black...

sorry 4 my english i know it sux :wallbash:

8. Sanatarium

The black that is on the case now is not final, there will be gloss black powdercoat, follwed by clear with red metal flake. :rock: :rock:

Dont worry Im not a real fan of matte either.

9. (X)TORNADO(X)

(X)TORNADO(X) What's a Dremel?

Nice mode keep it up... :thumb:

10. Anthony

Anthony What's a Dremel?

I like those tribals!

11. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

this is going to be another aweosme kick ass from you ATI... that is sooooo cool. cant wait to see this done... i love the tribal! i usually think its way over used, but yours look like they fit there! :dremel:

12. Sanatarium

Ok, mini update, got the pyrex glass resivoir, and it is perfect for the project. one line will run to the "to be decided on" filling apparatus at the top of the case, and the other two will be connections to the system, one leading directly to the pump.
    [​IMG]

Next, these feet which were cut on my bandsaw out of the 1/2" leftover aluminum from the radiators. They will also have some plexi lit with white LEDs or something mounted on the top of the foot between the case, there are also some rubber grommets not seen in the pictures, that will insulate some vibrations. I like how they look like modern industrial server feet...sortof..

Here is 2 feet, one before sanding, and one after. The feet were sanded with a random orbital sander, and 220 grit paper, to create tiny circle-like patterns. The effect under the right light is really awesome. Better than I had expected by a long shot, this was actually a mistake, and I didnt plan for the effect produced!!!
    [​IMG]

Front feet:
    [​IMG]

Rear feet:
    [​IMG]

13. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

That res looks like a bong :eyebrow:

But cool mod keep it up

14. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

LOL... I thought the same thing when I saw it >.<

Anyways, I kinda like the 'feet' with the ridge look, it's your project though (A very nice one!)

15. Pistol

Pistol Guest

I don't think I'd do TOO much tribal on the front, the front panel flames (or as you put it "funk") looks great by itself. The bay cover could end up being a mistake, imo. Then again, I AM a hypocritical minimalist. :thumb:

16. Sanatarium

Why does everyone think its a bong!! I have heard that on 2 different forums now haha. I guess it does look like one, I didnt realize that when I bought it... :wallbash:

Yeah, I already erased most of the front panel art, and redid it in a much simpler way..same with the bay cover. but the etching on the USB cover and above(no pics) the CD drives will stay

17. Pitbull

Pitbull What's a Dremel?

Nicee work keep on going dude :rock: :rock:

18. Pelihirmu

Pelihirmu What's a Dremel?

Me too :hehe: What's wrong whit us :worried: :D
    BTW. Looking good.

19. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

hey
    kool mod dude!!
    little suggestion tho, you know where you've got the feet on the bottom of the case, what would happen if you sorta put a 'x' brace between the four feet to give the base some support? dont know, but wouldnt there be a lot of weight from the rad's from the top, which may cause the base of the case to flex? meh. not sure, just a suggestion!keep up the good work dude!

20. Novakog

Novakog What's a Dremel?

Wow this looks sweet! I'm always impressed by all the custom water cooling stuff people do, and even the bits so far on the exterior design look very nice :thumb:. I'll be following this!