1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project DKM (56k stay away)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by borumas, 15 Mar 2005.

1. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

welcome. Dont forget to paint rivets too if you re-rivet the case at some point. Nothing worse than silver heads on a sleek black finish... (project sr71 has this i think)

2. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Yeah I'll paint the rivets as well, at least the visible ones for sure.
    On another note, happy St. Patricks day all, got my other goodie in today and had some good beer to celibrate it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

WOW!

i love the engraving on the acrylic, looks really really good

this mod is very very nice, dropkick mupheys is a great band, so i hope this case turns out great :D

keep moddin' :dremel:

4. Tulatin

Good to see your makin progress and happy about your 6600GT. Fedex says my 6800GT and foxconn (shaddup, it's a temp) mobo should be in tomorra. 400 us, shipped express from cali :)

5. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

WOOOOOT DROPKICK MURPHYS!!!! BEST BAND EVER! :rock: :hehe:

(great etch! I have that shirt too! :-D)

6. Anthony

Anthony What's a Dremel?

You have murphys beer too? :D , wow thats cool

7. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Thanks again for the replies, I got some more work done on it the past few days. I applied the lettering and shamrocks to the window panel and sprayed on the clearcoat, here's a pic with the etched panel under it with some cloth to show the etch better:
    [​IMG]
    I have also sanded, primered, and sprayed on a black coat on the top panel but will need to sand it down and reapply a nice thicker coat for a glossy look then clear coat it as well. After the window panel dries another 2 days I'll start polishing it to get a more mirror finish.

8. Pitbull

Pitbull What's a Dremel?

Wooow nice let drink on it :rock: :rock:

9. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

LOL, yeah let's have a glass of the dark stuff. :)
    Today I got the top panel painted a nice thick coat after wetsanding with 1500 grit and I experimented with my digi cam with and without the flash so you can actually see how reflective the paint is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also sprayed the screws for the power supply and for the backplate black as well
    [​IMG]

10. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

I halfassed assembled part of the case for a preview, one pic with flash and without (without flash shows how reflective the finish is a bit better):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Here's an update, I cutout some guttermesh for the front grille and fan grilles then painted it, I also tested how I want to etch and paint the top window panel, then I disassembled the fans and began painting them:

[​IMG]
    I did a half ass etch of the lettering to test it and on 2 lines I used permanent marker to fill in the actual etch and then painted over it in the green, as you can see the marker came out good and you can barely see the etch that I didn't put marker on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'll have to paint the other sides after they dry and give the blades another coat so that the Antec doesn't show through.
    [​IMG]
    this is a bad angle or the light makes it look kind of like the grille is crooked but it really isn't.
    [​IMG]
    fan grille painted and held in place with my hand.

paint dried and fans reassembled:
    [​IMG]

12. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

umm...dude you know that 'antec' on fans, isnt that on a sticker that can usually just be scraped off?!!! dont know, mite be diff.
    but cool etch! great design too. great colour scheme too in fact, great everything!!!!!
    and black on green looks great.
    keep it up dude!

13. (X)TORNADO(X)

(X)TORNADO(X) What's a Dremel?

WOW this case is so cool... :clap: :clap: :clap:

14. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the comments, after 3 updates with pics and no replies I was going to let this die and not bother posting any more progress so thanks for the boost.
    I just bought some of 3M tape and put the painted/etched panel on the top so that part is done.
    I wanted the lettering to look like the lyrics were just jotted down like they thought of it and wrote it on what was handy, I know they didn't write that song but it is a cool one and they titled the CD after it. Here's a pic, I'll try to post more later but my woman is catching some sleep before working an overnighter:
    [​IMG]

As for the Antec sticker you were right, the sticker was clear except for the Antec so I didn't look close enough to see it, after 2 good coats of paint though it blends right in so I guess I'll just leave it as is, the 120mm will have a nosecone over it anyway.

15. Solidus_Snake

Solidus_Snake What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

my town can work
    and my town can fight!!! :thumb:

16. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

LOL, thanks, unforetunately I didn't have enough room for that part of the lyric. Here's a few more pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Tulatin

please stop with this mod, my desk is getting soaked in drool and it is running for my case.

18. linger

linger What's a Dremel?

thats sick, i love what you've done with the top of the case.

19. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

Wicked mod dude. Awesome work.

20. ZeroHerO

ZeroHerO What's a Dremel?

Nice work!

Nice work there man, the plexi etching is really good, can´t wait until you post more pics.

Sincerely ZeroHerO