1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics WTD: Help finding a component

Discussion in 'Modding' started by brumster, 5 May 2005.

1. brumster

brumster What's a Dremel?

I've been hunting for a red LED array to replace the green one that acts as a temperature readout on the control panel of the Antec P160 case. It has 10 pins (5 along top and 5 along bottom as viewed in pic below) and is 15mm x 20mm with 10mm high digits. Here is a pic;
    [​IMG]
    Im assuming its called a 3digit 7segment LED array, but Ive searched using numerous terms with no luck. Anybody have any idea where I might be able to get hold of one?

2. theshadow27

theshadow27 What's a Dremel?

actualy, its a 2.5 digit display, and if you give me 10 minutes ill find you a PN

3. theshadow27

correction, sorry, its usaly only LCD's that come in .5 segments, like on page 1528 of digikey (they have an online cat)...

most 3 seg LED arrays are 24 pins, 2 seg is at least 18, i dont know how you got 10 for 2.5... unless it is only 100%, 50% and 0% or something.

if you cant get an exact replacement, are you willing to do some modding?

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I suspect you've got something a bit more complex than just the display. With so few pins and no decimal points visible, maybe a complete temperature module with all the other electronics needed built-in. The one on the Maplin ZT62S Multi Transfer Panel me & macroman have is like that, though only 2-digit Centigrade (but red). Unfortunately the review and mod he did to it haven't been sorted yet to the new site system, and Maplin have discontinued it. :duh:

A poor picture: http://www.mtec.com.my/shopping/product_details.php?id=50&product_id=246

Are there any ICs on the board with numbers you can quote?

Last edited: 5 May 2005
  5. bobmister

bobmister What's a Dremel?

This is pretty standard configuration actually.

7 pins for the 7-segments for all 3 digits, and 1 pin for each digit's "enable" line.

The drive actually "sweeps" across the display to light each digit, it does it so quick that one eyes don't see the flicker.

Tons of these things at my local surplus places... Try www.jameco.com, www.mpja.com.

6. theshadow27

oh, multiplexed, good call ;)
    i was thinking it would have to be 7 (digits) + 1 (period) + 3 (catodes) but there is no period :D

i checked all electronics, maplin and digikey before i gave up :sigh: guess i missed something?

7. brumster

Heres how helpful Antec were;

Code:
    ----- Original Message ----- From: "brumster" <em@il.hid>
    To: "Europe Technical Support" <europe.techsupport@antec.com>
    Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 3:58 AM
    Subject: Re: Antec P160 swivel panel

>>At 00:24 01/01/2005, you wrote:
    >>we don't encourage you to modify the Front Control Panel of your case
    >>since this will void your warranty.

>Thank you for your concern, however my control panel is now disassembled
    >and the chassis has been modded.
    >Since the warranty is no longer an issue, I would like to ask if there is any
    >chance you could give me a little information about the 3 digit 7 segment 10
    >pin LED array (temp readout).
    >I have spent a very long time trying to source a replacement (standard is
    >green, I need red) but have failed to find anything similar.
    >I would really appreciate any help you could offer me

Dear Sir,
    Unfortunately, the information you are requesting is considered proprietary.
    Since you have voided the warranty by taking the Front Control Panel apart,
    the only solution that we can suggest is to purchase a replacement.
    To do so, please send an email request to our Europe Sales Staff.
    The email address is europe.sales@antec.com.
    Thank you.
    Europe Technical Support
    europe.techsupport@antec.com

8. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

Reply to confirm that the solution to getting a red LED display and would be to purchace a replacement unit. :D

If they wish to be arsey, give it them back in abundencw. whats the worst that could happen?

or say you brought a new unit, and it didn't solve the red LED issue, so you'd like to return it and could they offer another solution. or would they like you to go round stores opening packs (with their say so, obviously) searching for red LED's, ask if you can have them shipped in bulk to test for red led's? and return the green ones.

Sorry I enjoy being awkward :)

9. Springs

Springs Boing boing

i havent actually seen this case b4 so i dont no how its made.. but for them to say you have voided the warrenty by taking the front panel off is a bit stupid...

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Come on, that's standard for any warranty. You can't even look inside a PSU without destroying the warranty sticker.

Antec have a very good reputation for service. They shipped me a case I/O plate FOC from the States, they could have just said "Contact the motherboard maker".

11. Springs

Springs Boing boing

i no about the warrenty on the PSU's but i havent seen one on the front panels... stupid for a case...

12. brumster

Its not the front fascia, that's separate from the control panel which is mounted above the fascia. I removed the entire unit from the case and then (after a lot of cautious pushing and pulling) managed to expose the PCB inside the CP which is what you can see above.

I dont know if this helps, but it has
    Code:
    A-423G-N
    printed on the side.

I didn't expect a whole lot from Antec, but I was hoping for more than I got (which was that the LEDs run 5V). I guess theyre trying to tell me that these arrays are custom-made, I'm unconvinced though.

13. Springs

Springs Boing boing

maybe e mail them again either with the same email address or another one and say it got smashed or something..?

14. brumster

I dont think I was clear enough to begin with...
    I havent broken anything, the case is in bits deliberately. I am planning a purple theme for the case. This means replacing the standard LEDs with violet ones and (safely assuming there are no purple arrays available) using a red array with a blue filter to create purple.

15. Springs

Springs Boing boing

what im saying is they wont tell you much about it all from reading that email so why not say to them it broke and you need to get a new one from somewhere...

if all else fails can you just block it up and get a different one?

16. brumster

Oh I see what you mean. If the part really is proprietary I doubt they'd tell me anything, just instruct me to return the faulty panel for a replacement (which will still have a green display).
    Oh well, I'm all out of other ideas, suppose it can't hurt to try...

17. bobmister

bobmister What's a Dremel?

U can verify my multiplexing theory by the use of an ohmeter, it's just a bunch of diodes wired at certain way. Then u can use discrete displays to wire your own, as TheShadow suggests. The hallmark of a true modder, roll yer own!

Personally, I think RED too loud, always shouting LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME, fun for a while then u wanna put a black tape over the dang thing afterwards.

18. Springs

Springs Boing boing

if u read it all u would see that he said he wanted a red one so he can put a blue filter on it to try and turn it purple.. for a purple themed case..

19. Jhonbus

Jhonbus What's a Dremel?

I think placing a blue filter over a red LED will result in a black display as LEDs only produce a very narrow bandwidth of light wavelengths. What I'd do is make my own 7 segment displays using some acrylic and violet rectangular LEDs. Should be able to connect that to the driver using one cathodefor each digit and 7 anodes shared between all 3 digits. (or the other way round of course)

20. deiol

deiol What's a Dremel?