1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your MP3 Player

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by <A88>, 3 Dec 2004.

?

Your MP3 Player?

1. iPod (Any gen)

69 vote(s)
    19.7%
  2. Mini iPod / iPod Shuffle

14 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Zen/ Zen xtra/ Zen touch

35 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Zen Micro

12 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. iRiver

33 vote(s)
    9.4%
  6. Rio (any)

14 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. Other HDD based

29 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. Expansion Card based

13 vote(s)
    3.7%
  9. Flash based

35 vote(s)
    10.0%
  10. Other

38 vote(s)
    10.8%
  11. Don't own one

59 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

I use a Dell Axim X30h.
    [​IMG]
    However, I use it more for playing videos.

2. KelticFox

KelticFox What's a Dremel?

I have a Sony Net-MD. Its plays MP3's so it qualifies :p

Obs doesnt have the storage of a 40Gb iPod, but hey if a disc goes squif, just put in another one :p

Plus it can hold about 5,000 tracks at 64Kbps (LP4)

But I use LP2 which is 92Kbps (Any more is lost as headphones cant normally pic up the subtle notes :p )

Oh and I have a converted Nokia 6600.

Masses of custom software (obs written by moi, I'm not skript kiddie :p)

3. burnoutuk

burnoutuk What's a Dremel?

Recently got a Shuffle 1GB... I wasnt really into the ipods but liked the looks of this. 900mb for mp3s is plenty, im never out the house longer than a day.
    Zen NX 30gb as backup

4. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

I'm finally getting around to getting one and I can't decide between the 20gig Ipod or Zen Touch.
    I hear they both work with the Belkin wireless transmitter and both have decent battery life (4g Ipod ~18hours?)
    So the deciding factor is ease of use, types of songs they'll play and weight.
    What should I get?

5. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Follow the Zen ;) .

Death

6. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

I now hav a zen 20gig.

7. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

iRiver PMP120 I´m lovin´it :hehe:

8. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

I now have a Zen Touch 20gig and love it. I can play it at work for 3 days ~8 hours + each day before I have to recharge it.
    Only thing I don't like is that some headsets and speakers when plugged into it come out quieter than the earbuds that came with it. I've got it plugged into some computer speaker, have the speakers turned the whole way up and I still have to have the volume set at 20/25.
    Other than that its awesome

9. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

would be good to list the Sony HD3.

While i'm baised because i own one, the 20gigs, 30hour battery life, and just slightly bigger than an ipod mini, the software is awful thou!

A mate of mine from 6th form, saw it today, saw the size, the weight the feel, and is now selling his zen on ebay!

10. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Haven't got one at the moment...but I'm buying an iRiver H320 20GB next month! :D

11. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Yeah but the sum of all the other HDD based ones is only 19 atm so it's not really worth it yet :)

<A88>

12. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

I have an iPod Mini Gen 1 in silver and a pair of Sony MDR-EX81 in-earphones. Sound quality is good, can pick up bits in the music that I couldn't when using the iBuds.

I've dropped the iPod twice now. Thankfully it was off both times, but the case has a dent in the bottom corner now. Still works fine, I went into diagnostic mode and did a disk check, and it was OK (thankfully).

_C

13. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

Um, the mini uses modified CF cards, and CF cards are *very* durable. I have never even heard about a CF card that failed from normal falls. In fact, I remember reading a story where a CF card gets thrown by an explosion during a bridge demolition, and the card survived!
    Don't worry too much. The memory card is probably the most durable component in your MP3 player.

14. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

Is it not a microdrive? There is a big difference.

Sure the solid state CF cards are almost unbreakable (in fact I heard about a company that handed them out to kids to destroy. They all worked after the kids doing their worst to them, except the ones that were nailed to trees, and even then they were aable to recover most of the data), but microdrives are hard drives, just like in your PC. Would you take a 3.5" HDD, spin it up to full speed and drop it? That's basically what happenswhen you drop an iPod, xcept on a smaller scale. (The drive spins slower, the head doesn't have as far to move etc.)

_C

15. nick[x1]

nick[x1] What's a Dremel?

All ipods use hdd based storage i belive, a 6gb CF card wud be a bit expencive!!!

And i am a ipod 3rd gen 20gb owner and love it but hate it lol
    Its got great options, sound quality is fine (ITS THROUGH HEADPHONES IT CANT EXACLEY BE GREAT!!!)
    Battrey life well i charge it every so often so dont notice how long it lasts
    All this stuff about ipods battreyes lasting 12 months or what ever is stupid, its the same with any battrey :|

idiots

Sorry, just in a bad mood today, 9 hr shift does that

16. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

Just to be pedantic, the shuffle is solid state ;)

17. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

AFAIK the mini iPods are microdrive...

<A88>

18. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

I've been using an iPaq 3635 as an MP3 player. KILLER battery life and superior navigation using winampaq. If I were to use a PCMCIA exampasion sleev instead of a compactflash one I could turn it into a Hard drive MP3 player. Using compactflash allows me to listen to music for around 12 hours.

19. Joel

Joel What's a Dremel?

40gb rio karma, although i broke the lock switch installing the new drive *doh*

20. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

i cant believe that only 1 other uses a cd-r based mp3 player.

I have been using cd-r/mp3 players for about 4 years now (got my first memorex one in jan of 01). for a while i also used my laptop for the daily shcool run because i was mainly listening to books - winamp 2.x was easier to manage huge lists of small mp3's - i generally rip books at 64cbr/stereo - and each disk as a folder with a "a,b,c,..." naming scheme to make sure they play in order if burnt to disk.

i dont really choose them for sound reproduction quality - i drive a loud arse half broken down 86 volvo wagon with 4x4" 2-way speakers and a factory am/fm/cass ... i like the 120sec shock protection cause my shocks dont tend to protect anything.

i get about 20-30 hours from a pair of AA batteries in my current one. my laptop battery drain was negligable in a typical 45-60 min drive to school (had a 75w inverter for the charger cord) - if no charger i could go bout 2 1/2 hours with the lid shut running winders. maybe 3 hrs running mandrake.