Motors a question for the americans

Discussion in 'General' started by rick, 3 May 2005.

1. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

its Vtec

Variable-Timing & lift, Electronically Controlled

2. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

Mines a red 91 civic DX hatch, no vtec though :\

260,000miles, $850 :)

3. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Buddy its a highway car. It hauls over 7000lb at highway speeds. Landrover may have lowdown tourque but no way its road capacities are as good. Even if they are these two cars are diferent animals.

4. jaguarking11

Hondas have sub 1inch exaust headers and pipes (ricers pump em with large exausts loosing tourque and incresing hp slightly) The chevy has 1.5inch headers meaning each cylinder exaust is about 1.5inches (not too shure on that) It does pull like hell and manages to smoke tires realy well though.

Actual towing capacity is 7200lb while still being able to do highway speeds (tested this with no problems) It also has an overdrive in the trany for montain towing.

Low gears are all well and good as we all know, a average 14gear truck can have as litle as 300hp or 250even and about 500lb of tourque and tow multiple tons.

Also remember this chevy is a gasoline motor, a diesel would behave diferently.

Last edited: 12 May 2005
  5. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

I'll vouch for the size of honda pipes. Dont be mislead by ricer mufflers and tips, the stock pipes are extremely small.

6. jaguarking11

There is a reason for that, A small motor needs some back preasure to make a certain amount of tourque. Those pipes are probly a bit bigger than 3/4 inch pipes.

7. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

You sir are correct, but it's VTEC, all caps :D

And yes, Hondas have incredibly small pipes stock. I upgraded mine (Header, piping to the muffler and the muffler) to a header using a 1.75" tube to the collecter, then the collecter goes from 4.5" down to 2.5" which goes to the muffler (no catalytic converter as Montana has no restrictions on emmissions) and then my muffler is designed in add a bit more back-pressure so the low-end torque is still there along w/the mid-range and hi-end HP increases. I had my car dyno'd and tuned at a tuning shop in Billings, Montana and I went from 132.3 HP pre-build and tune to 155.2 HP post-build and tune. Torque increased from 131.1 lbs-ft to 144.6 lbs-ft. As you can see, the bigger piping increased my horsepower AND torque (to whoever said that "ricer mufflers" decrease back-pressure, lowering torque, depends on what all you do to the car :)) giving me a rather peppy, fun to drive Accord 4-dr. Also, switching to the larger piping and ditching that cat, I was able to pick up almost 9 MPG in town. I now average roughly 37 MPG in town, and not sure of Highway as I haven't been on a road trip lately :)

Anyways, to sum up the long post:

1) Us Import drivers aren't all "ricers" and actually DO know a thing or two about how to build a car properly

2) Emmissions regulations blow-ass and rob cars of HP, TQ and MPG.

3) Gas isn't going to be going up anytime soon according to CNN and other news sources. The cost of gas is projected to drop $0.10 by the end of June.

4) USA and UK car owners are different, the cars are different, there's no changing that. But I do want a Euro-R Accord (though they come from Japan and not the UK which is odd)

Thank you and have a nice day. We now return to your regularly scheduled posts.....

8. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

You mean that's possible :eek:

'doc

9. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

High five! :cooldude:

10. Redwolf

Redwolf Supermodel

what this guy said

"We've seen too much misinformation regarding exhaust theory. What kind of misinformation? For starters, there are a lot of people in the "Bigger is Better" camp. We're talking about exhaust pipe diameters. Even the big magazine editors are boldly smattering statements like, "For a turbo car, you can't get an exhaust pipe that's too big." Also, terms like "back pressure" and the statement, "An engine needs back pressure to run properly!" really rub us the wrong way. "
    http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/exhausttheory.htm

11. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

Back to the original question instead of the debate about "americans always trying to compensate for penis size with engine size" and the "europeans drive tiny cars with tiny engines because in their poor country, they can't afford gas".

My first car was a 1980 Ford Thunderbird, with 238,000 miles on it, I bought it wrecked for $100 and fixed it up and drove it till it finally rusted into powder.

I think the cheap theme is correct, if it's cheep and easy to insure, it's the right choice for your first car.

I have lived in the US and The UK, and I can tell you I like my big gas guzzling american car, but I have gone to driving my second car everyday because of the current price of gas. Fact is my Durango gets about 11 miles to the gallon. True it can haul 20,000 pounds, go anywhere (I mean ANYWHERE) and is smooth as a baby's butt driving at over 120mph, but I wouldn't wish to drive it on the small windy roads that cover the majority of the UK. For that I really enjoyed my Punto. Cheap and easy on gas, but can also turn and park darn near anywhere. don't take it off the road or through a pothole though, it'll get lost.

My favorite car ever has been my lifted and modified Jeep XJ Cherokee. 4 litre motor at 225bhp with 315torque. Inline 6 built to last (had one go 321,000 miles before a cab fire took her life, god rest her soul) 35 inch tires on dana 44's, and 9 inches of lift over standard. It'll walk up and over most anything, rocks, stumps, trees, european cars.

12. automagsrock

*High fives back*

13. automagsrock

Hell yeah!! Sounds like an awesome Jeep. Sorry for your loss...:(

14. tsa cain

tsa cain What's a Dremel?

well my first car is my truck it is a 2002 nissan frontier. I personally cant stand civics. I think they are to small, I feel to crammed up.
    On the gas side i get about 15 miles to the gallon. But i would not trade my truck for anything in the world

Tags: