1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding plexi question.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kastman, 3 Jun 2002.

1. kastman

kastman What's a Dremel?

A little question about plexi. What can i use to smoothen the edges/corners so they become round and they still got the plexiglas finish. It is kind of ugly with the sharp corners i like them smooth. i will get pictures upp to show what i mean.

2. mr. phantastik

mr. phantastik What's a Dremel?

I would imagine using a medium sand paper to do the rough shape, then a file to smooth things, then moving up in grits to a final rubbing compound like novus.

3. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

if you get a torch and hold it a good 6-8 inches, you can melt the edges smmoth again. Very cool technique IMO

4. MadGamer

MadGamer What's a Dremel?

yeah the torch trick is the best imo
    just be careful not to burn urself :D

5. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

i used a dremel to round the corners on my plexi. I used one of the sanding belt attahments.

6. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

get a router attachment for a dremel and get a router bit to make corners round. then file/sand. then apply novus. or use lighter trick

7. LaPPe

LaPPe What's a Dremel?

Whats a router?
    pic please... :)

8. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

the dry wall cutting kit for the dremel also cuts plastic according to the packaging but i found it after i had cut 2 80mm blowholes in a piece of plexi to make a card cooler.

It is only £10 as well.

9. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

router, router,..... ummm it holds the dremel perpendicular to the material being cut. go to you local hardware and mention router bits and ask to see em. ill get a pic up if i can

10. jennyfur

jennyfur What's a Dremel?

how convenient, I was actually about to ask the same thing. there's no way I could get ahold of (or have the guts to use) a blowtorch so I'm gonna go with different grades of sandpaper... but this novus stuff you guys keep mentioning, what is that? A polish or something?

also, there are some very fine scraches/gashes in the area surrounding one of the holes in my window (and I mean really tiny... you can't even see them unless you look really hard). Is there anything that I can use to fill or buff them out a bit?

Thanks.

11. Geek

Geek What's a Dremel?

You could use one of the little propane pen guys. Those are much less scary than full-on blowtorches.

Gordon

12. Lazy

Lazy Meow?