1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V £140 Max speaker Recomondation please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CHRISS, 26 Jul 2003.

1. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

hello
    i am relativly new to this kind of thing so i figured it would be a good idea to ask you lot.
    i will buy one of
    these
    what speakers will go well with it?
    i was thinking somehting along the lines of MISSION M70 i will buy just a single pair at first and then upgrade buy buying more to match at a later date. i would prefer floor standing speakers if possible without sacrificing sound quality.

so, what would you recomend?
    thanks in advance
    CHRISS

2. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly What's a Dremel?

What will you be mainly using your hifi for?
    If it's primary role is to play music then i'd suggest buying an intergrated stereo amplifier instead.
    I personally didn't like the sound of the M70's when i heard them, the bass isn't that defined.

3. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

i will mainly be using them for music but i also like games and DVD's. i am buying a 5 chanel amp so i can add stuff later when my funds have recoverd. and slowly build a nice system. i think i will ditch the mission speakers ( mission abort:D ) and go for some ELTAX MILLENIUM400 Floorstanders. i am not sure if the amp is up to them though... am i right in thinking it will be OK so long as i do not tunrn it too high? i do not listen to Excessively
    loud music

4. micb

micb Minimodder

What are you crazy!

Droping Mission M7 series for Eltax Millenium 400's is a bad idea IMO, most of Eltax really is the lowest of low end of Hifi.

Mission M7 series would sound great with that receiver.

You will have to listen to speakers your self to see what you like.

Also off the top of my head:

Mission M72, or M50.

Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 or 8.3's.

Monitor Audio Bronze B1 or B2.

Mordaunt Short 902 or 912.

These are the book shelf models but all have floorstanders in the same range.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2003
  5. samuelellis

samuelellis What's a Dremel?

for that sort of cash i would stick with bookshelf speakers

get a high quality pair of bookshelf speakers over a cheaper floorstander & your ears will love you for it)

6. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

thanks for all you comments and suggestions.
    this morning i went to have a listen to these speakers. i found them to be very impressive, especially in the bass department. They are howeverl lacking a bit in the treble department. Can i sort this out with Eq settings?
    As for the cheapnes/quality of sound- all my music is played though my computer and mp3's would i really notice the differance?
    i will attempt to find somwhere to have a listen to the Wharedale Diamond 8.3's which have very good reviews online.
    i will probably buy some speakers later to go with this setup later. i can then buy speakers that have good mid/high range to ballance the sound out a bit? or does it not work like that?

thanks for your help:D ( sorry i am so complicated! )

7. micb

micb Minimodder

Which speakers did you hear?

8. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

Eltax Millenium 400's
    sorry:D

9. micb

micb Minimodder

Well if the treble was not as good as expected then you should audition some other speakers to see what you like.

10. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

i am still a bit undecided ( dont know exactly what i want! ) as for auditioning, i will try get my brother to drive me to a richer sounds shop and hopefull i can get some info too.
    i am off to my brothers friends tomorrow to see how his sound ( he has some elatax speakers )

Last edited: 30 Jul 2003
  11. fondie

fondie What's a Dremel?

12. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

fondie, im just wondering how uve got ur speakers setup?

using 2 sets as fronts and one as rears? Or 7.1 with 2 sets as rears?

U must have a big room matey :)

13. Clockworks999

Clockworks999 What's a Dremel?

If you are going to buy cheap (i.e. under £400 a pair) speakers, you definately need bookshelf ones rather than full-size.

You want to be spending the money on the drive units and crossovers, rather than a big empty box with some cheapo drive units.

Go to a decent HiFi shop, such as Sevenoaks, or an independant, (definately not Dixons or Comet) and ask for a demonstration of speakers in your price range. Any good shop should be willing to spend half an hour or so on demos if they think you will buy something. Go when the shop is not too busy, or make an appointment. Take along a couple of your favourite CDs to listen to, preferably "proper" music.

Once you find something you like you can shop around for the best price. The original dealer may match a lower price to get a sale. It is worth finding a good dealer (and paying a few pounds extra if necessary). You will get better service in the future.

I can thoroughly recommend Missions. My first "real" HiFi speakers were Mission 700s (over 20 years ago). I have NEVER found anything to match them for imaging.

Big speakers will give you more bass, but if you are going to get a Sub later, the better mid and treble from bookshelf units will be better in the long run.

Cheers

14. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

thank you all for your help
    i went down to richer sounds and had a demo of a whole lot of speakers. i ended up whith gale 3030's (i had demo's of both floorstanders and bookshelf speakers including the missions) i really like these speakers but was not too keen on the missions. i really like the gales but have to turn the trebble down a bit. i also have rears from the same series i managed to pick up very luckily second hand.(not at richers) i am now planning the a sub but have to get some more money:D

15. fondie

fondie What's a Dremel?

it's set up in 6.1, well 6 atm, am waiting on one of these http://www.bkelec.com/special/sp5.htm,

i have them set up as per regular 6.1 formation, left front, centre front, right front, left rear, centre rear, right rear, although the left and right rears are really on either side as Dolby/DTS suggest. My room isn't that big really, approx 4m x 4m, i just got a little carried away :rolleyes: :D