1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics £200 GPU for 1080p gaming. What should I go for?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mk1Slider, 17 Jan 2014.

1. Mk1Slider

Mk1Slider What's a Dremel?

So I have most of my build picked, all except for the GPU. I have a top budget of £200, but there's so many different names/brands/etc that I'm pretty confused as to what to pick.

I'll not be gaming at resolutions over 1080p if that makes a difference, but I'd like half decent performance in the likes of BF4 etc.

I would gladly welcome any suggestions, (needs to come from Scan though, as it's being bought along with the other components).

Thanks in advance!

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

GTX 760 for £180 should be fine for 1080p.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

If you don't mind second hand saw 680s at this price point or less on this forum and others. A lot faster Gpu.

760 is about the best you would get new though.

4. Mk1Slider

Thanks for the replies.

So is it a better bet to go for the 760 over a 270x?

I wouldnt be adverse to buying second hand, but the I guess that comes with the associated risks. I haven't noticed a classified section on here though, is there one or do I just not have enough posts to access it?

5. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Sadly as the days of this marmite mining pass it's becoming impossible to recommend any AMD GPU.

This isn't what AMD need, truth be told. It will only tarnish their image as being a company you can rely on for bang for the buck.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

AMD gpus since the mining craze have gone up between £30-£50 on what they were before. So they are not really price competitive at the moment in relation to there cheaper nvidia cards.

Nvidia cards cant mine for crap so are cheaper.

If your only intrest is gaming at the mid range mark and some of the prices ive seen on the high end mark even they are very difficult to recommend AMD at this moment.

7. Mk1Slider

OK cool, nvidia it is then!

So is it worth me trying to find another £50 and stretching to a 770? Or at 1080 only is it not worth it?

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

If you can find an extra £35 this is a frigging bargain. I reckon the EVGA 3 year warranty will still stand as well, despite the listing stating a 90 day warranty.

I got one new from Scan for the same price at the beginning of the month (January sales cheesecake :D) and I'm very impressed with it. Noticeably faster than a 760 too, even at 1080p.

It won't last long at that price though!

9. AlienwareAndy

10. Shirty

Source.

Seems to be the general consensus amongst professional hardware reviewers - over 2GB VRAM is a nice to have but will be wasted if the card doesn't have the legs to take advantage of it.

11. Mk1Slider

I like the look of that ebuyer one but I'll probably be gone before I'm in a position to buy!

So lets say I up the budget to £250, is there any 770 I should be looking at in particular or are all the ones around that price much the same?

12. Shirty

If you need a blower style cooler then that EVGA one would be your best bet. The reference "Titan" blower is slightly quieter but commands a frankly ridiculous price premium. Scan are currently asking £375 for one of those - that's £140 more than I just paid them for exactly the same card with an EVGA cooler on it!! There is a cheaper blower cooler as used on the ScanFX model, but I can't vouch for the quality on that one.

If you're happy with a non-blower cooler, then the Gigabyte Windforce model has reviewed fairly well at the lower end of the price spectrum, and is one of the quietest options. No need to pay the premium for the OC model, you will be able to bump the speeds of the stock model up past that anyway. Just make sure your case has good airflow over the card, and can exhaust the hot air efficiently.

Keep an eye on the Today Only deals as well, sometimes you only save a fiver but occasionally there are much bigger savings on offer. The Gigabyte model I just linked to is only £239.99 today for example.

EDIT: Worth noting that should you choose to you will be able to recoup a small amount of cash by selling Batman, Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell if you don't want to play them too!

Last edited: 20 Jan 2014
  13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Good shout, the Windforece coolers (and Asus Direct CU range) are basically the best on the market.

14. Mk1Slider

Ok I'm gonna be showing my noobishness here, but what is the difference between the two types of coolers?

15. Shirty

Blower coolers are designed to exhaust all the hot air generated by the card out of the back of the case. Generally speaking, all reference coolers are of this type, and some board partners such as HIS and EVGA offer their own aftermarket blowers too. The disadvantage of blowers is that the single, smaller fan has to spin faster to move the air through the card, which can result in noisier and/or warmer operation depending on the card.

Aftermarket "open air" fan coolers are far more efficient at cooling the card, as they tend to use multiple fans to blow cool air straight down over the card much like stock CPU coolers do, but the hot air is just blown in to the case, so needs to be extracted using case fans. These cards tend to run cooler and quieter at the expense of your in-case temperature (and sometimes an extra expansion slot!).

Generally the latter are preferred by enthusiasts for the cooler card operation, unless you are working in a smaller case or one with poor airflow, or are using multiple cards in SLI/Crossfire which is where blowers come into their own.

16. Mk1Slider

I'll be putting the build into a Zalman Z3 which should (apparently) provide half decent cooling. I'm not too worried about noise levels as I generally game through headphones anyway.

17. Shirty

It's not a case I'm familiar with, but looking at the pictures I'd go for the Gigabyte. Just make sure you've got solid airflow from the front intake fan that's level with the card, as well as a decent exhaust.

18. AlienwareAndy

19. Shirty

That's undeniably a good, non-mining inflated price for a good card. It'd be on my shortlist without a doubt. Especially considering that there are second hand 7950s going for quite a bit more than that on the bay at the minute :eeek:

20. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

The gigabyte windforce cards are really nice, only went with a stock cooler in my last build due to it being an unintended upgrade and I'd already spent more than planned.

Of course what you really want is a Gainward Phantom... :D