1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice £500 budget - and monitor suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pete*, 14 Oct 2011.

1. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Hey guys,

I'm wanting to upgrade my current PC (spec should be in sig) - my budget is about £500 and
    i'm wanting it to be quite "future proofed".
    I will NOT be overclocking anything at the start. Maybe somewhere down the line when
    I can mess around with it. But not right now, so highly overclockable things are not needed.

It will be used for gaming predominantly. I will be getting a new monitor (to be decided, any
    suggestions for under £300? 24" pref.) and also using my current SM2232 Samsung monitor.

I will be bringing anything I can from my current PC over to the new one, hence hoping to keep
    it under the £500 (that isn't including monitor) budget.
    The PSU, HDD's (I have now got 4... 3x 1TB F1's and 1x1TB F3), Case (Antec300), DVDwr
    will all be transferred to the new PC.

I have listed the things I have been looking at, the motherboard MUST have quite a few USB
    ports, PS/2 port, V.GOOD onboard sound(explained below) and good upgrade options.

I need suggestions on a good CPU and possibly cooler (intel cooler would be fine until I want
    to overclock, wouldn't it?)
    Also, I would like to go SSD to go with my 4 Samsung HDDs - So suggestions on good SSD's
    would be very welcome.

For sound, I am currently using onboard. My X-Fi Fatal1ty stopped working, started causing
    BSOD's on my Vista. Over and over. Couldn't do anything to stop it. It works fine on 3 other
    PC's and worked fine on mine for the 3 years i've had it. Suddenly just stopped.
    So I need a suggestion of a good soundcard also or a motherboard with v.good onboard.
    I will be running Windows 7 this time though. Dual booting with XP.

Motherboard scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-ga-z68xp-ud3p-intel-z68-s-1155-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-raid-sata-pcie-20-%28x16%29-atx
    Graphics scan.co.uk/products/1gb-msi-gtx-560-ti-twin-frozr-ii-oc-40nm-4200mhz-gddr5-gpu-880mhz-shader-1760mhz-384-cores-plusfree
    RAM scan.co.uk/products/16gb-%284x4gb%29-corsair-ddr3-vengeance-lp-cerulean-blue-pc3-12800-%281600%29-cas-9-9-9-24-xmp-15v

Is that graphics card still amazing to have at the moment? It seems to have gone up from
    when I last saw it around. I was going to get it a while ago and it was about 160. Shame
    its gone up.
    I know the RAM amount is excessive, thats because it isn't all for my PC :) I'm getting 8 for me
    and 8 for a friend. Might aswell get it together. If anyone knows of better ram, cheaper and
    in 8GB amounts i'm happy to get it. However I will be using all the RAM in my PC until it
    is needed by them once they upgrade too. So it should be all compatible together and with
    the mobo I get.

All that already comes to £350ish (RAM price halved).
    So if anyone has any suggestions, i'd be really greatful.

Cheers :)

p.s. I ONLY want NVIDIA gfx, not AMDATI.

2. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

pete* likes this.
  3. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

what does b grade actually mean? refurbished?

if so that is an insane deal.. the refurbished ones on ebay are 490 so you are saving £100

4. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

wow

WOW! Cheers for the heads up, bought one. I hope OCUK don't sh!t on me.

Guess i'll have to look at upgrading sooner than I thought xD haha, 4870 is gonna cry with a 27"
    on it.

I hope B Grade doesn't mean its broken in someway.

5. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

It probably means it was returned due to stuck pixels or something then refurbished.

6. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

My flat mate has bought a old 27" Del ultra before and it turned up like new!

Can see that they would sell crap tbh, glad you bought one there Pete, i got one myself and they are awsome!

7. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

When buying refurbished I would suggest registering right away on the dell site. Might even be able to get a full manfac warranty. (MIGHT)

pete* likes this.
  8. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?