1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice £750 to upgrade(spec me a upgrade list^^)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chimeradog, 10 Nov 2010.

1. chimeradog

chimeradog New Member

thanks memeroot but can you recommend me some custom versions of the 470? I would prefer the 460 if i had to buy a stock 470

Last edited: 15 Nov 2010
  2. chimeradog

chimeradog New Member

hey guys, I've confirmed buying my ram, hdd but not the graphics card yet...do you guys think waiting until christmas to buy the graphics and see what cayman and maybe the gtx 570 has to offer then decide which card to buy? or should i just go on with the hd 6870 which i will buy if not waitng until christmas?

3. Dae314

Dae314 New Member

Hmm... That depends. If it were me, and my friends were playing some really awesome game and waiting till xmas would mean me missing out on it b/c of my hardware sucking I would go for the 6870. Otherwise I would wait till xmas, maybe even have more $ by then to get a new generation card or better :). Plus xmas has sales.

4. chimeradog

chimeradog New Member

nice one there Dae, my hardware and graphics card still can play my regular games, don't wanna
    regret buying the wrong time this time, plus some websites like vr-zone says that the gtx 570 and cayman are both coming in december so waiting till then could just get the card i really want.

5. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

It is certainly a dangerous time for a graphics purchase. You are right that amd's cayman 69xx cards are expected mid December. The nvidia 560 and 570 are also rumoured to not be far off.

That being said, it looks like stores are trying to dump their 470 stock and prices are right down. 2x470's would Seriously spank a 580 and can be bought in the stock version for 10+% less than a single stock 580.

If you did want to look at a single 470 and understandably dislike the stock version, then there are gigabyte and msi cards with custom coolers in stock over at overclockers.co.uk for about £240 ... But waiting for cayman still makes the most sense, even if it's just to see how it hits the prices of other cards.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2010
  6. chimeradog

chimeradog New Member

you got a point there roo, I'll be waiting till then and see what to buy by then, but getting a gtx 470 stock, just how loud would the cooler be? and how's the perfomance?