1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [01/07] Tracks to Winter

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Hwulex, 24 Jan 2007.

1. Hwulex

Hwulex What's a Dremel?

So I finally got out to shoot a pic for this month's comp, and it wasn't even with my camera, hehe! I went out at lunch today with a colleague from work armed with his 1DMkII. I WANT THAT ONE!

Anyway, this is what I came up with for our wintery theme.

[​IMG]
    Click for BIG

Yes, the image is noisy, I apologise, but "available" light was very low so had to bump the ISO. Also why the trees are blurred, it was a long shutter.

2. ajack

ajack rox

I mostly like it, except for the clouds, they just don't work for me. Obviously it's not your fault what with the shutter speed but it sorta detracts from it imho.

Was gonna grab me an IR shot too for "snow" but my filter just arrived today, maybe there's still time :)

3. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Like ajack says the sky/clouds really do detract from it.
    Luckily, the detail in the trees is awesome, and its quite a good capture of winter.

Nice work :)

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Personally I like it even with the high ISO and slight blurring due to lack of tripod.
    I think its the actual style of the photo that warrants the merit, it's just the type of thing that really grabs me I guess :)

5. Hwulex

Hwulex What's a Dremel?

Lack of tripod? Don't think so. ;) There was very much a tripod, just that it was a 20 second shutter on a windy day so the trees are blurry. :)

Cheers for comments guys but clouds with the 20 sec shutter was something that's beyond my control.

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I just love the subjective nature of art. :hehe:

I quite like the clouds, and I think they fit well within the subject matter. Overall, I like the photo a lot. There's the obvious "blue-cold" color use, but it works.

Despite the title, I think the photo works just as well with tracks cropped out, bringing the bottom to just below the trees.

-monkey

7. Hwulex

Hwulex What's a Dremel?

This is already around a crop of around 25% of the original image. :)

8. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Ahh, sorry, I just took a wild stab :p
    Guess that's the problem with long exposures, everything needs to be perfectly still.

9. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

I like it - I think the clouds give it a mystical edge. Although I wonder whether the tracks could have been made more obvious - they just seem a little too subtle.

10. Hwulex

Hwulex What's a Dremel?

They're much more pertinent than in the normal colour verison. In that they're barely visible:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mad how different they look, innit.

11. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Good shot Hwulex.

Have you considered a program called Noise Ninja? Great for removing noise, and it's pretty customizable too.

12. Hwulex

Hwulex What's a Dremel?

I've got Neat Image that I use regularly to good effect. However, this seems to be a whole new alien breed of noise that even strong settings fail to remove.

13. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I hope you don't mind, but I gave it a try in Noise Ninja. The result is OK. To me, I think it looks better. Want me to show the image? (seeing as how I don't actually have your permission to edit the photo yet.)

14. Hwulex

Hwulex What's a Dremel?

Yeah, go for it. Be interesting to see how well NN copes compared to NI. :)

15. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Here it is:
    linky

I'm sure with some work, you could make the full colour version above look like the infra-red like version. and You'd have less noise!

Tags: