POTM [07/06] Selfridges building, Birmingham

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by J-Pepper, 12 Jul 2006.

1. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Here's my second entry for this month...

[​IMG]

Constructive criticism welcomed and appreciated.

Shot
    Selfridges building in Birmingham

Settings
    350D - EF-S 10-22mm - RAW - f8 - 1/3200 - ISO100 - 10mm

Post-Processing
    Nothing really, just levels tweak in Aperture

Last edited: 23 Jul 2006
  2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Loving the entry by DrPepper :)

3. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Pepper: Love that Bull Ring shot. Very nice. The one you chose to enter is the better of the two (looking at your Flickr).

Last edited: 12 Jul 2006
  4. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

love your entry J-Pepper, looks vibrant and the wide angle works perfectly. :)

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Jul 2006
  5. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Thanks guys.
    That Bull Ring shot has probably been done to death but it's one I needed to take for myself :)

And I thought I recognised those buildings in Manchester, not far from China Town right? I was up there taking photos last Thursday too but failing light and not enough time meant I didn't get any decent architecture shots.

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

J-Pepper: I enjoy the point of view of your second photo, but the building's edge is too close to the center of the frame for my taste. I know that rules are meant to be broken, but in this case I feel like the building and sky are competing within the image.

-monkey

7. olv

olv he's so bright

Love that image j-pepper. my only criticism would be that 1024 is too long for the longest edge, and there's too much compression going on.

I find it interesting how even though the depth of field is small, you can't really tell. did you try the same shot at f/22?

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I thought that as well, so I checked the EXIF - says f8 (and 1/320 as well) :confused:

9. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

@ Supermonkey: I know what you mean looking at it now but when I was taken it I wasn't thinking much of the rules (shh! don't tell :worried: ). I wanted more emphasis on the building but I didn't want the sky to over power the composition. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't... i'll give it another go when i'm back up in Birmingham and see what a difference it'll make.

@ olv and Mister_Tad: Yeah, it was taken a f8 because I figured it'll be sharp enough but I wanted to try and achieve some depth of field in the composition. But, to be really honest, the way it turned out in this photo was not what I was expecting and actually a better shot. I didn't use f22 because I didn't want every one of those silver circle things on the building to be too pin sharp, I just figured it wouldn't be pleasing to the eye that way.
    But saying that, i'm going to give it another go because admittedly, I didn't even bother using f22 so I can't really comment on whether it would be a better photo.

Thanks for the C&C though guys and keep 'em coming :thumb:

10. olv

olv he's so bright

F/8 makes more sense. order has been restored to my world.

11. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I need to retake mine. I could have avoided needing to go again by taking a few different shots to see.
    Then again, it is fun :)

And very nice. Do you have a normal shot of the building?

12. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Yeah, I have that problem too in that i'm too selective of my shots. I picture a shot and take a few (usually bracketed as well) and then move on. I've tried, but then I just feel weird for filling up my CF card with crap.
    But then I find it's a good thing as I only ever use 1GB card; it means I have to be creative and selective and not take photos of crap.

I'm still not used to the 'take as many shots as you can' style of shooting.

Search for Selfridges in google, it should be easy to find, it's a really weird and distinct building but after a while it just becomes part of the background.

But then again, i'm finding that now i'm always 'hunting' for shots, and I see a lot of genuinely interesting things and perspectives that I would never have given a second thought/notice to before.

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

when you just look at the section of the shot without the sky (ignore the skly or zoom to the building) it looks like CG.

Might just be me though

14. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Yeah, i've had another comment on this photo where some said it looks almost fake! :D

15. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Photo's broken? :worried:

16. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

17. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Thanks for reminding me... I was using the ftp server of an old ISP (I switched ISP a year back but I still could access their ftp server.. I had 1GB of free storage :naughty: )

I'll get it fixed right away.

Tags: