1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [07/06] Theme: Architecture

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Nath, 30 Jun 2006.

1. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I just had a look at the recent additions (hadn't looked in a few days).
    I'm quite impressed!

I just need to get out there and snap some good-uns!

2. olv

olv he's so bright

Can we have less of the "Can I enter this photo, or this idea, or this sexually deranged pig?"

it gets very tedious. if you've got an idea for a photo take it, and if you like it enter it. When the competition ends each photo should be judged on it's relevance to the theme, aswell as it's technical merit.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I think you should make your own CASE as to how it fits in with the theme.

4. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Now that I've split all the entries out to individual threads, you might want to find your entries and give them a title. For those that had something posted with it, or I knew what it was, I tried to be relevent, but people might wanna change them. :)

5. olv

olv he's so bright

Sorry to be critical but i'm failing to see what has been gained by splitting all the entries up. Surely it was much more simple to just have an entry thread and a discussion thread?

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Because every picture can be discussed individually with comments that are specifically related to it. It's harder to look at all the entries in one go but it's not like there are dozens of entries every day.

7. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

tbh, I found it a PITA to look through the gallery thread then have to go back, then go in the discussion thread, then post comments about a pic I can no longer see.

It's far easier just to tack comments below the entry, imo, and keeps everything relevent and together.

8. olv

olv he's so bright

I see your point. I vote to have a gallery thread at the end of the month then, which consolidates all the entrees.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well, that's what the flickr is for, sort of.. I spose.

What IS the flickr for exactly?

10. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

I'm with Bindi on this one, I thought the Flickr was for all archives as well, all in one place and hosted on Flickrs servers where they won't get accidentally deleted or use up was on peoples own servers.

11. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Although we can't force people to use Flickr, it would be nice if everyone signed up and uploaded their images there. That way we can have an easy gallery of all the entries at the end of the month and also means that, like J-P says, pictures shouldn't disappear by accidental deletion or server moves/clearouts.

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I would really rather not use Flickr. I pay for my own hosting and would much prefer to stash my images there. If you prefer I can provide a link to the full size image on my server for the gallery, but I can't see using another service to do somthing I'm already paying for.

13. ajack

ajack rox

[​IMG]

Not sure if I wanna post this or not, it (mostly) fits the theme, HDR has been done to death tho and I'm dubious about people getting shirty 'cos maybe it's a bit over-processed :/

Last edited: 15 Jul 2006
  14. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

That's a really nice shot ajack, I like it. :thumb: And I think the HDR has been applied sensibly. I just get fed up with it, especially on Flickr, where people HDR for the sake of it and 'cause it's a nice buzzword and think it makes their pics better or will make them more popular. But it has its real uses and I think you've done well with it here.

15. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I wish my camera could handle HDR lighting. It doesn't like contrast that well and I've lost more than a few shots because of it.

16. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

I like it, it looks like an oil painting. Is it a PS plug-in?

17. olv

olv he's so bright

huh?

HDR processing is a technique that uses 3 seperate exposures, combined into a single image to give optimum exposure in the highlights, shadows and midrange. nothing to do with whether or not your camera can 'handle' it.

18. olv

olv he's so bright

HDRSoft produce a piece of software called Photomatix designed for creating HDR images.

19. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Photoshop also has built in HDR support, but allegedly sucks.

20. ajack

ajack rox

Aye PS's HDR capabilities aren't fantastic.

HDR can look nice when it's used on the right shots - it's just a shame people seem to have gone off it what with everyone HDRing *everything* recently.

Tags: